Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2016, 02:02 AM   #1
busterbrown

Halloween Camping

This is the first year we'll be camping on several weekends during the Halloween season. From what I hear, the campgrounds have big turnouts with many spirited families.

Just want to get an idea of what families do to their RV's and how they prepare for the festivities. Do most decorate their rigs and pass out candy? How extensive are the decorations? We're excited to be camping next weekend at one of the local county parks with our 3 little boys. Ideas and suggestions are welcomed.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:26 AM   #2
jkohler70

We have a box full of decorations for the camper. My DW and 11 YO daughter go crazy decorating. We are trying a new place this year because our preferred park is full, but they have a haunted trail, costume contest, and site decorating contest.
Kids definitely will come looking for candy!

It's our last trip of the year, and here in Missouri, sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate. Some years it's in the 60's, but once my water line froze. Another time I broke down camp in a sleet storm.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:49 AM   #3
GaryWT

Do as much or as little that you want. We usually just do a blow up or two. Most campgrounds that we have been to give you a ballon or something to put out if you have candy so no one bothers those who do not.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:04 AM   #4
shov

Carlisle Lake isn't too far from you and puts on quite the Halloween Event...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkohler70 View Post
We have a box full of decorations for the camper. My DW and 11 YO daughter go crazy decorating. We are trying a new place this year because our preferred park is full, but they have a haunted trail, costume contest, and site decorating contest.
Kids definitely will come looking for candy!

It's our last trip of the year, and here in Missouri, sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate. Some years it's in the 60's, but once my water line froze. Another time I broke down camp in a sleet storm.
shov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:45 AM   #5
byrdr1

We have several tubs/totes of Halloween decorations that we load up and take with us to decorate the camper and our surrounding campsite. We placed second one year and got some nice prizes. one was fire poker and we still love that thing. BUT we dress up in NON-scary outfits, last year it was a hunter with NO weapon. the year before it rained like all day so we just passed out candy to the 20 or so who showed up to collect. Last year we passed out candy to over 150 trick or treaters. so 2013 150 plus trick treater's, 2014 only a hand full due to the monsoon that was the on the day of TTing. The then last year 2015 another 150 plus maybe even more. We plan a month out as far as buying candy a bag or two for 3 paydays. so we plan for the 150 plus with several pieces of candy per TTer..2014 lots of candy went home and wife did not like that because I ate way too much of it.. that won't happen anymore....
we go to Yogi Bear campground near the coast of NC. about 30 miles from Myrtle Beach inland. And they do every weekend in October as a Halloween event weekend but we try to go as close to the Halloween day as possible. And they do it up right, my grandkids have had a blast and it's fun as an adult too.
Long answer but I got there.
have fun,
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:31 AM   #6
hdrolling

You should be able to click on the camping area your looking at and see what activities they have planned and see photos from last years Halloween.

We only decorated a little because our spot was in the back out of the view of most campers in a monthly spot. I think where your spot is will depend on how many kids come by, most tend to stay on the main strips so they can hit as many campers as possible. Our camping area is on the larger side so it would be hard for most younger kids to hit every camper in the park.

Most have costume contests and maybe golf cart parades, ours ran a hay ride during daylight hours. One of the busiest weekends for sure!

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:19 AM   #7
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
We have several tubs/totes of Halloween decorations that we load up and take with us to decorate the camper and our surrounding campsite. We placed second one year and got some nice prizes. one was fire poker and we still love that thing. BUT we dress up in NON-scary outfits, last year it was a hunter with NO weapon. the year before it rained like all day so we just passed out candy to the 20 or so who showed up to collect. Last year we passed out candy to over 150 trick or treaters. so 2013 150 plus trick treater's, 2014 only a hand full due to the monsoon that was the on the day of TTing. The then last year 2015 another 150 plus maybe even more. We plan a month out as far as buying candy a bag or two for 3 paydays. so we plan for the 150 plus with several pieces of candy per TTer..2014 lots of candy went home and wife did not like that because I ate way too much of it.. that won't happen anymore....
we go to Yogi Bear campground near the coast of NC. about 30 miles from Myrtle Beach inland. And they do every weekend in October as a Halloween event weekend but we try to go as close to the Halloween day as possible. And they do it up right, my grandkids have had a blast and it's fun as an adult too.
Long answer but I got there.
have fun,
randy
A hunter with no weapon is a vegetarian.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote