Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #1
RLM5150

Crushed umbilical cord

We took our first long trip in our new Outback a couple weeks ago. Had only been out on weekends before this. 9 Day trip this time and had a wonderful time.

On the first day I started getting message on my truck that the trailer was no longer connected. I checked the 7 pin coard a few times and was always secure and had plenty of slack. Finally tracked down a pinched cable. I squeezed it back and that provided enough relief internally that whatever had been shorted was no longer touching.

I obviously need to get that fixed. But I'm still trying to figure out how that could have gotten pinched. Any ideas? I don't have pictures. The part that got pinched is under the propane tanks. Should I take this to the dealer for replacement or just but a new cable and do it myself?
RLM5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

A replacement 8' cable costs about $25. Your time to do the actual replacement is ??? Depending on the distance to your dealership, you might well find that the price of fuel to tow your trailer in for repair exceeds the price of the cable and your time.

Here's one place to purchase a replacement cable, there are many others, some probably much cheaper than this: https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-20146...7+pin+rv+cable

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:45 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Umbilical cord replacement is very much a DIY job. The junction box will be under the frame behind the leading edge of the trailer wall. Just match the colors AFTER you disconnect the battery.

There will be 7 wires, but you will only use 6. You can either cut off the unused one or insulate the end so it doesn't short anything out, IIRC its yellow.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:57 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

You're right, Chuckster, the "spare" is yellow and although it's called "accessory power" in many schematics, it's normally used for back up lights, something found on very few (if any) Keysotne RV's.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:57 PM   #5
RLM5150

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't even looked up the cost yet. I didn't expect it would only be $25. For that price it's absolutely a DIY.

I'm still scratching my head on how it would have been crushed.
RLM5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:59 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You're right, Chuckster, the "spare" is yellow and although it's called "accessory power" in many schematics, it's normally used for back up lights, something found on very few (if any) Keysotne RV's.
I'm starting to see the B/U lights on newer larger units, but like you not keystone.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:54 PM   #7
PerryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLM5150 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't even looked up the cost yet. I didn't expect it would only be $25. For that price it's absolutely a DIY.

I'm still scratching my head on how it would have been crushed.
Hold it at the pinched point and swing it through its range of motion, you'll find your answer. I had a similar situation just last week. My son unhooked the 5er to borrow my truck but forgot to drop the tailgate. Fortunately he caught himself just as the cord was smashed between the tailgate and junction box, which is on the backside of the pinbox. No damage to the tailgate and the 4x4" metal junction box was only slightly tweaked, BUT... he didn't tell me about it because he thought there was no damage and he'd got away clean. When I came home I noticed I had a left brake light illuminated on the trailer with no vehicle connected, strange indeed. Of course upon inspection I found the smashed cord with bridged conductors. Fortunately it was right at the box and my cord was plenty long to just cut it back a few inches and re-strip the wires. Took about a half-hour, including straightening up the box so the cover fit properly. --- Darned kids !
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote