Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
24Laughs

Dump Vlave Question

Just got a 2009 Cougar 278rks. When I went to dump the first time, it seemed like the valves were not closed. Filled two 5 gal buckets before it slowed dwon enough to get the dump hose on. Drained forever and kept on slowly draining even with the valves closed ????
24Laughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

On this model, you should have 3 holding tanks and 3 dump pull valves. It would appear that, from your description, one or more of the valves is not closing completely. I might try pouring a couple of buckets of water into one tank at a time, let it sit for a while, then see if any water has leaked out of that tank valve. Do the same for each of the tanks and you should be able to determine which tank valves are leaking.

It could be that something is caught in the valve seat, your seals might have dried out and split, or some other mechanical failure in the valve itself.

If you can't determine which tank valve(s) are not closing properly and can't repair the offending valve, you might try adding a Valterra Twist-On Valve at the end of 4" line (where you remove the cap). This will allow you to slowly drain whatever is left in the lines so that it doesn't all come gushing out when you take the cap off). You can get them from CW or at most RV Parts retailers.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
hankaye

24Laughs, Howdy;

It may be that the valve seals have dryed out. Can occour when they sit for a time with zero wet stuff and from not being used (exercised).
You may need to replace them, or ... disassemble and lube with a silicone based lubricant.
Should you choose to re-place;

http://www.valterra.com/RV/rv-main.htm

hankaye

PS. My RV is same as yours, only 1 Model year older, front to back I have Gray (shower & lavy), Black, then the smaller 1 1/2" is the kitchen.
When I dump the tanks I usually toss 2 caps full of downey fabric softner down the bowl with 2 bowls of water. the fabric softner will "slick up" the valve's seal, and slick the tanks interior as it fills. Helps keep "things" moving and covers the foul oder nicely.

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
24Laughs

Thanks for the advise. Proves I'm truely a newbee. Didn't know I had three tanks. I found the kitchen valve not fully closed. Problem solved. I'll try the fabric softener.
24Laughs is offline   Reply With Quote