Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2011, 04:13 AM   #1
Ayotte

cougar xlite 5th wheel

Hi Just joined the forum. I have been looking at buying a 2011 Cougar xlite 26sab. Can anyone enlighten me on this model? Thanks
Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:35 AM   #2
Jim W

Hi, And welcome to the forum.
I do not own that model of camper. I would suggest that before you buy the camper and during the negotiation of buying, you insist on the following. The dealer will instruct you on the use of the camper covering all system, take notes. You are allowed to do a PDI of the camper and everything will be repaired or replaced to your liking. Not that there could be anything wrong, but there are manufacturing mistakes.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

You can do a search of the forum which will result in numerous posts about the xlite sab. The 26sab model does not come up but you will be able to get some feedback about other xlite sab models. Just type in "xlite sab" in the search box window. Welcome, btw, to our forum!
Old 06-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
forest376

Cougar xlite 26 SAB

Just purchased a 2010 xlite 26 SAB. Going to take it out for the first time next weekend. Will let you know how it goes...
forest376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
Ayotte

Just bought a 2012 cougar xlite 26sab. Pick it up on Wednesday in Manitoba. I guess the new models of this floor plan no longer has the small outdoor kitchen-to bad! Hope we like it.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
forest376

Went camping in the 26 SAB last weekend. Everything worked perfectly. My wife and daughter who will complain at a drop of a hat, had only great things to say about the fifthwheel. Having the fifth wheel level is a must when hitching it to your TW......good luck.
forest376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:47 AM   #7
Charli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayotte View Post
Just bought a 2012 cougar xlite 26sab. Pick it up on Wednesday in Manitoba. I guess the new models of this floor plan no longer has the small outdoor kitchen-to bad! Hope we like it.
We also just purchased a Cougr XLite 26SAB in Manitoba and are picking it up on Thursday. Had hail damage on out previous TT and had to make quick decision as we had camping plans starting in early July. Actually did well with the hail damage as we got a cheque from Ins for salvage value and then sold trailer same day and ended up with more than we paid for TT one year earlier. Have now gone to 5th for better towing and wanted to stay small as its just the DW and a dog. I'm a novice tower and not comforable towing those big units with 3/4 ton, although I see lots are doing it with no problems. Anyway the 26SAB seems a little tight after our 291RKS Springdale TT but I like the Cougar quality and while unit wasn't DW preferred decor it is still very nice. Dealer is installing hitch and given I have 6'3" box I'm surprised that he isn't installing a slider hitch. He said design of new front caps don't need it. Looking forward to first trip out to Alberta to see Grandkids and will report back after our first experience. Still deciding on ext wty but given purported Cougar quality not sure its necessary.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
Ayotte

Got back from our week trip to the cypress hills. Trailer pulls great. Not to many problems with it- a few loose screws etc. Had to remove spare tire after about 500 km as all the welds on the rear bumper to the frame was cracking-would have completly fell off if I had left the tire on the rack. CHECK THE WELDS ON YOURS!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
Jim Aitken

We have a new Cougar High Country 291RLS and we attempted to add a bike rack to the rear bumper. The welds immediately broke. Pretty flimsy construction.
Jim Aitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
tedstr

Bike Rack

We had our dealer add a bike rack receptacle to the back bumper of our Laredo 28RBS. The dealer did an excellent job by welding additional supporting brackets to the rear bumper. I was advised not to try and tow anything behind the trailer because the bumpers were not made to carry the load. The added welded brackets under and behind the bumper provide the necessary strength for the bike rack. Our back rack is a very well made Thule for three bikes. We only carry two bikes for the both of us and have traveled over 12,000 miles in the last two years with no problems.
tedstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
Txoutback

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedstr View Post
We had our dealer add a bike rack receptacle to the back bumper of our Laredo 28RBS. The dealer did an excellent job by welding additional supporting brackets to the rear bumper. I was advised not to try and tow anything behind the trailer because the bumpers were not made to carry the load. The added welded brackets under and behind the bumper provide the necessary strength for the bike rack. Our back rack is a very well made Thule for three bikes. We only carry two bikes for the both of us and have traveled over 12,000 miles in the last two years with no problems.
Can you provide a photo of this? I need to beef mine up and would like to see what the pro's did.

Thanks

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #12
Charli

We will be bringing our 5'er back to the dealer to have a proper receiver welded to the frame so we can carry our bikes. They said they never recommend anyone carry bikes on a rear bumper mounted bike carrier. Wish they had told us that before we picked up the trailer so we didn't have to go back and waste a day of our vacation.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #13
djelysian

Hi Jim. What did the dealer say you should do if you want to carry bikes when camping? I never realized how many other folks have had this same problem. We are having the same problem with our 291RLS High Country 5th wh.

David
djelysian is offline   Reply With Quote