Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #21
Steve S

I'm not sure if you can change the color of the toppers but if you can get white toppers you'll be happier The black toppers will just heat your slides up whereas white won't. I have a white one and I do notice a difference
Old 11-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #22
mstat

The issue you are describing sounds just like what DW & I experienced with our 33RES. Blower would run with burner cycling on & off on high limit switch.

What was finally done, after three trips to dealer and a bit of investigation by myself.

Rigid metal elbows were installed at the furnace where ductwork comes out. Flexible ductwork had been crimped in a 90 angle that almost closed it off.

Kitchen register was reversed such that it's inlet came in from the street rather than the curb side. This allow the removal of almost 14-15 ft of flexible ducting.

Something smiliar was done for the other two registers.

I believe that the whole problem was the duct work was basically pinched off allowing furnace to get too hot.

Good luck with your fix.
mstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #23
Gadgetmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I'm not sure if you can change the color of the toppers but if you can get white toppers you'll be happier The black toppers will just heat your slides up whereas white won't. I have a white one and I do notice a difference
Sounds logical... I may regret it but black goes really well with the exterior of the unit. I am hoping the open space between the topper fabric and the slide roof will allow for enough air flow to make it not so bad.

2015 Cougar XLite 33RES
2011 F-350 Turbo Diesel
From Southport Indiana
Miniature Schnauzers supervise out trips
Gadgetmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:35 PM   #24
Gadgetmonster

Dealer called today saying our trailer is finished. Here are the results...

Furnace: Many of you mentioned it might be this. When they lowered the bottom belly panel they found way too many feet of flexible duct pipe. They shortened it and it took out the bends and kinks. Too bad they don't take a moment with some snips and cut it to length on each unit.

Add fasteners to the pedestal table so I don't accidentally pull it up out of the floor. Done... one screw was broken.

Adjust the slide door from the bedroom to the Loo. Travels too far and pops out of the lower guide track. Done

Add screws in all 3 roof vent screens. Done

Repair the antenna crank...crank and base don't line up. Repositioned/fixed

I pick it up with the new slide toppers installed next Saturday.

Thanks for all the good info.

2015 Cougar XLite 33RES
2011 F-350 Turbo Diesel
From Southport Indiana
Old 12-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #25
summerhummer

I am curious if you ever found a solution?

I know that suburban furnances have been around A along time and their units seems to work well but something about how the rest of the system is installed at keystone has me thinking there is a problem.

My older TT with a suburban got sooo hot even when it was freezing outside. Yes it could have been more insulation in the old TT but with the keystone even in temperate weather that furnance and duct work cannot get the trailer close to really hot. (of course the old TT brand didnt feel it neccesarry to advertise like the polar package does but their basic model beat the hell out of the polar package when it came to keeping warm and they didnt brag on it lol).

There is just a hint of air in the front bedroom of my camper. When I took it in under warranty they said it met the standard. (standard =has to keep a tissue afloat over the vent). I installed one more vent in the back bunk room (where before there were none) so at least the kids are now warm. For the rest of the trailer I use an electric heater or a big buddy. That fixed the lack of proper heat.

I would like to hear anyone with a 2013-2016 say that their furnance and duct work really puts out and gets the unit more than comfortable. I understand it is a comfort system but sometimes after you come home after a day in the wood in the cold you want it really hot in the TT at least I do and the keystones dont cut it in this respect. Thanks for listening to my true rant
summerhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #26
summerhummer

Thanks I missed your response. Let me know how it keeps up for you temp wise now that they have shortened the duck work and took out some bends.
summerhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:31 AM   #27
Gadgetmonster

Just picked up the unit yesterday.
When we went to pick it up a few weeks ago it did not go all that well.

Slide toppers look good and function OK.

They did not add any screws in the table base like they said they would... they said a screw was broken off so they replaced it. So I will have to do that.

The sliding door from bedroom to bath still rolled too far allowing it to go beyond the guide and get stuck closed.

The antenna fix was good.

Roof vent screws were installed.

Furnace was a joke. Living room and bath had great air flow. Bedroom flow was almost non existent. Full sheet of paper towel laid on the register crowned up but just laid there. Going round and round with service writer. I'm saying I don't think that is close to enough air flow. He was "mea". He would not agree. So I grabbed my screwdriver and popped off the register and stuck my hand up in there and sure enough the duct was kinked. Almost nothing could get through. Pi--ed me off in more ways than one. Had to leave it.

So I picked it up yesterday... Air flow now blows the paper towel up almost to the top of the bed. Why don't people have the gumption any more to do a quality job? Half A--ed is the new norm it seems.

The door was not fixed. I said don't worry about that I will fix it myself.

While hooking up I noticed my battery was completely flat. Also lifted the LP cover and both tanks were light. So he offered to fill both.

It is a 3/8 tank of diesel to make a round trip so I felt that was the least he could have done.

Nice guy but not good quality service techs.

So I will park it in my warehouse till spring and see if it works out.

BTW, is the charge system a smart system that won't cook my battery if I leave it plugged in all winter?

Thanks for all the comments and good advice.

2015 Cougar XLite 33RES
2011 F-350 Turbo Diesel
From Southport Indiana
Old 12-14-2015, 05:47 AM   #28
chuckster57
Site Team

While I'm glad you got your trailer fixed, I'm sorry you had to go through all the frustrations.

IMO even with a smart system convertor, I would check water levels in the battery(s) often.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:10 PM   #29
Mr30RLI

X2 on Chuckster57's converter comment. I keep mine plugged in all the time while in storage here at the house but I do keep an eye on the battery Don't want to cook it.

Frank

Mr30RLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:04 PM   #30
gearhead

There is some good info here. I'm using my 5th in January in Tulsa OK so I'll be putting the "Polar Package" to the test.
Question: for those that have removed screws and dropped the bottom chloroplast, did you need to use washers under the screw heads when you re-installed? I'm wondering if the screws get a good bite on the chloroplast when re-installed.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote