Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2015, 06:24 PM   #1
Tbos

Passport 2810BH vs Bullet 274BHS?

Looking for opinions? Passport is $1000 less and the dealer offers the "RV Warranty forever". The warranty has no deductible but requires an annual inspection at a certified dealer. Looks like that goes about $300 a year. What does everyone think about that warranty?
The 2810 has 2 doors, a full queen bed and outdoor gas grill. It is also a foot longer with fewer windows in the slide and by the bunks. The tub has a bubble in the roof for taller people. I'm tall.
The 274 has an outdoor kitchen, aluminum wheels, more counter space and a short queen. It also has more windows in the slide and bunks and the couch makes into a true double bed vs a normal jack knife. Our current 238ML has a short queen and I do ok.
Ok I know this is a little bit of apples to oranges comparison but these are the units we are considering.
Please let me have all the thoughts and opinions on these 2 units quality, etc. Are the aluminum wheels and outdoor kitchen worth the extra cost when I give up the bigger bed and shower? Any thoughts/ ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:12 AM   #2
notanlines

This is an RV with a six gallon water heater. How much time can you spend in the shower? Compare that time with how much time you spend in bed. Now, about that couch into a double bed. Unless it is your parents, why would you care about the comfort of those on that bed? They are probably kids and they could sleep in the cupboards and be comfortable. One of our more infamous members says "Drinks for six, dinner for four, sleeps two." Don't make things too convenient for visitors. As for the "forever warranty?" I can't answer to that, but I would be very, very wary about thinking that is a good deal. Does that phrase "too good to be true" ring a bell?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:43 AM   #3
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
This is an RV with a six gallon water heater. How much time can you spend in the shower? Compare that time with how much time you spend in bed. Now, about that couch into a double bed. Unless it is your parents, why would you care about the comfort of those on that bed? They are probably kids and they could sleep in the cupboards and be comfortable. One of our more infamous members says "Drinks for six, dinner for four, sleeps two." Don't make things too convenient for visitors. As for the "forever warranty?" I can't answer to that, but I would be very, very wary about thinking that is a good deal. Does that phrase "too good to be true" ring a bell?
Good points. Anybody else have any thoughts on these questions?

Old 10-18-2015, 04:48 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

You asked about the "forever warranty. We've had several threads concerning this "sales gimmick" in the past. My opinion, it's a way to force the customer to have his "do it at home" maintenance completed by the dealership. They make their money to pay for the "forever part" with each of those "must be done by the dealership" services.

Here's a link to one such thread. There are several others, just use the search feature and search for "forever warranty".

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...hlight=forever

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:54 AM   #5
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You asked about the "forever warranty. We've had several threads concerning this "sales gimmick" in the past. My opinion, it's a way to force the customer to have his "do it at home" maintenance completed by the dealership. They make their money to pay for the "forever part" with each of those "must be done by the dealership" services.

Here's a link to one such thread. There are several others, just use the search feature and search for "forever warranty".

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...hlight=forever
Thanks, any thoughts on the other questions about quality or option differences?

Old 10-18-2015, 09:09 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

From my perspective, the quality on Keystone RV's is pretty much the same across the "brands"... That said, there are some more expensive Keystone brands that use "upgraded materials" in building the RV, some less expensive brands that use "less expensive materials" in building the RV. They all use the same staples, same adhesives, same FILON, same TPO roofing, same screws, etc. So the differences in "quality" are more on the "materials side" of the equation rather than on the "workmanship/construction" side.

As for "which trailer is better than" or "which trailer will we enjoy most" or "which trailer will give us the least problems". Those are questions that vary more on the buyer's needs, intended use, expectations and "wallet thickness" (along with a host of other individual considerations).

I've known buyers who were "absolutely unhappy" with a specific RV. Their reasons vary from "I don't like the color" to "The bathroom is backwards"....

I'd urge you, if you're considering an RV and don't know what's "best for your family", spend some time sitting in what you think you like, imagine how it would function on a rainy day when you're stuck inside, think about how you'd cope with preparing meals, keeping kids occupied, having enough room for the dog to shake after his necessary walk outside, where things like coats and umbrellas would be stored, and generally how the floorplan works for your needs.

Good Luck with your selection, it's never "easy" but it should always be "fun anticipating".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #7
Tbos

Thanks for the inputs and advice. Looks like the 2810BH is going to be the winner. The Bullet has a short Queen so that knocked it off the table.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #8
Tbos

Thanks again for the info. We pulled the trigger on a 2810 today. Actually spoke to a rep from the factory and he confirmed the materials and quality are the same. Built in the same factory by the same people.