Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2015, 06:45 PM   #1
slow

RV 760 GPS - RV Properties Entry

For those that have a Garmin RV 760 LMT GPS:

I am pulling together lengths and weights for our truck / trailer set up to input the RV properties into the Garmin 760 GPS while waiting for the 3 hour update to finish.

When asked to enter the GVW I assume I should be entering the typical actual combined weight of the loaded truck and trailer. Please confirm or let me know if I am misinterpreting the required input.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
Rick

That's a toughie. I have the same GPS, and you have to realize that it's not made for TT's or 5th wheels. Here's what I've said about it before (post #19)-
"Things I've learned about it. It should be named "2 AXLE RV 760LMT" as that's what it's made for (although it can be used for vehicles with more axles or towing). All the pictures on the Garmin page for the 760 and on the GPS itself (to tell you if you're in Automobile or RV mode) show a 2 axle Class A. The problem with this is if you're towing in CA, the max speed limit for a vehicle towing another vehicle or a trailer is 55mph. The Garmin doesn't recognize trailers as a RV, so it may tell you that the speed limit is 70mph (even though one of the icon choices is a car pulling a trailer!). As all states have different towing speeds, this is a real problem for TT owners. Of course, common sense applies here regarding different states speed laws and the driver knowing them. As far as routing goes, I imagine this doesn't make much difference to the GPS (except for the displayed speeds), as the length, width and height of my combined truck and TT could be the same as a large Class A."

So, unless the weight is really necessary for your travels, I'd forget about it (I just put in the weight of my trailer). I did put in the overall length, though. How do they determine the weight of a semi? I'd go that route.

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:02 AM   #3
slow

Thanks for the insights Rick.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 06-25-2015, 03:17 AM   #4
MarkS

The 760 also tries to route you around weight limited roads. I put in the combined weight of my truck and trailer.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:24 AM   #5
rbev2308

I have heard horror stories about the 760 routing you down dirt roads because people have put max GVW weights like in my case, 30,000 lbs and it took them off state roads due to some weight restriction. I personally like the think cause it has all the preloaded stuff like parks, campgrounds, repair facilities and all that stuff plus the big screen which is why I purchased. I personally go to the website they list and make my own trip and send to the unit that way I know which route I am taking so I do not worry about those issues. For the most part, I am on the Interstate system or double lane state maintained roads until possibly the end where the campgrounds are. I have been tempted to throw my Garmin across the interstate a time or two in my suv or truck so I am expecting this since all the same mapping is used. Personally, I would build your trip on the website and then look over the route on the map, add in any places you may wanna stop and import and follow and you should be ok
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbev2308 View Post
I have heard horror stories about the 760 routing you down dirt roads because people have put max GVW weights like in my case, 30,000 lbs and it took them off state roads due to some weight restriction. I personally like the think cause it has all the preloaded stuff like parks, campgrounds, repair facilities and all that stuff plus the big screen which is why I purchased. I personally go to the website they list and make my own trip and send to the unit that way I know which route I am taking so I do not worry about those issues. For the most part, I am on the Interstate system or double lane state maintained roads until possibly the end where the campgrounds are. I have been tempted to throw my Garmin across the interstate a time or two in my suv or truck so I am expecting this since all the same mapping is used. Personally, I would build your trip on the website and then look over the route on the map, add in any places you may wanna stop and import and follow and you should be ok
SURPRISE SURPRISE !!!!! if you are referring to the Good Sam Website to do your own personal route planning and then down load your hard work into your Good Sam Rand McNally GPS, better check what is in your GPS. Been there did that!! Apparently the Good Sam Website trip planner not set up for RV specific routing.

Mapped out a route on web site down loaded it and GPS changed the routing based on RV parameters in GPS. I thought since I made a specific route and down loaded it that the GPS would accept it as is. NOPE
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:38 AM   #7
rbev2308

No this is the one that is linked with Garmin 760. I personally do not trust any of them as they all use some sort of the same mapping program. I just like the POI's and the overall mapping and the fact I can use some of my other apps. I have grown to not totally trust any of them but I like the ability to plan your own route and send it to the unit to follow what you have.. My real concern is more so heights for obvious reason.

http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:55 AM   #8
Rick

I like BaseCamp, although I've never used it for vehicle routing...just hiking. As with most things, don't depend on one source for your info. Garmin may have bad info and route you under a low bridge. You can use this site as one additional resource for low clearances.

Rick

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:49 AM   #9
slow

Thanks for the info and links. Much appreciated.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 09-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #10
cruisegrandma

We just used the Garmin RV 760LMT and loved it. Hubby updated it the night before going on our trip and it was wonderful. Of course, we didn't go far as it was our first trip. On our first full day, we drove to a store and wondered why it took us through another town to get to a store in the town we were staying in. It turns out, you have to notify the Garmin if you stop towing. It then took us home on a vehicle only route and low and behold, it was a very windy road with lots of low hanging branches. Loved the turn by turn also, "Turn at the stop sign." Now we have to figure out how to get the camera going.
Passport 23RB
No longer virgin trailer and truck owners... BUT LOOK OUT ANYWAYS!!!
Harleysville, PA
cruisegrandma is offline   Reply With Quote