Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #1
sptddog

LED Awning Light Replacement

I posted in the toy hauler section about my awning lights failing. I went up and checked power to them (both strips are out - front and back and both are powered by the same switch inside the camper) and power seems ok. Not sure why both strips went out exactly at the same time, but the only way to further find out if it's power or strip is to get a replacement strip. The lights are on the awning roller tube and the wiring is sewn in the awning fabric. At the roller tube is a very small 2 prong connector that is attached to the current strip of lights.

My questions:
Is there a replacement strip that comes directly with this connector? I assume the awning is a carefree, and I can't tell from their site what the connector looks like, and the price is 70-80 dollars per strip (seems I need two). I also checked on Trekwood, and it's the carefree strip - no pictures, also 70-80 bucks.

I found a warm white strip on Amazon, received two of them. They seem quite lovely (and are warm white instead of the cold, blue light) except for the fact that the connector attached to them is a DC connector - one prong. Can I use them anyhow and remove the DC adaptor and splice to the other adapter? Are there connectors that make this simpler?

I really hate to spend a million dollars fixing this at the dealer, because the darn things don't have a stellar reputation (moisture etc.) and I'm sure the strip will go back again eventually. I'd like to make it an easy plug and play, but I can't find a strip that has the right connector. I see this mod all the time, but most must be splicing, or they are putting them on the sidewall and using the porch light to hard wire into (which I also would like to do, as my awning is in more than out with wind and stuff).

Any help?
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
suddensam

When you say you checked the power what was your method for determining it to be ok? Are you measuring the voltage at the connector?

What voltage is the DC adapter that came with the new LED strip providing? If it is just a simple 12V DC wall wart then you shouldn't have any issues with splicing into the wiring for the existing LED strip.

A picture of the various connectors would be helpful.

Sam
Old 07-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #3
sptddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by suddensam View Post
When you say you checked the power what was your method for determining it to be ok? Are you measuring the voltage at the connector?

What voltage is the DC adapter that came with the new LED strip providing? If it is just a simple 12V DC wall wart then you shouldn't have any issues with splicing into the wiring for the existing LED strip.

A picture of the various connectors would be helpful.

Sam
I used a voltage meter to check the power - I checked at the connector that would connect to the light strip. The new DC adapter is 12V. The camper isn't at my house so I can't get pics of that connection, the other connection looks exactly like what you'd plug into a power supply box that plugs into a wall - it's a single circular with a pin in the middle. The other end of the strip has bare wiring so that you could connect strips together. I also thought about using that end, and just cutting and soldering the DC end.

sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:51 PM   #4
suddensam

I'm not an expert on LED lighting but it seems simple enough that you need to get 12V from the existing wiring to connect to the plug on the new set. The inner pin is going to be the +12v and the outer is ground. I'd cut the connector off the wall adaptor and use that to splice into the existing wiring that comes from the switch for the original LED strip.

Sam
Old 07-19-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
hdrolling

Keep us updated on how it goes, I need to do the same to my rear awning LED strip.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
Pull Toy

Just a thought, but if both strips went out at same time it might be a just a bad ground, or other issue. If the first strip is bad, it might affect the second strip, kind of like the old type Christmas lights. Before I spent too much on it, I'd troubleshoot a little further, and try each strip separately from a good known power source.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote