Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #1
Buck21

5th tow hitch

I recently bought a Ford F-350 long bed and switched my superglide 5th hitch over from my old short bed 2500. Has anyone had experience good or bad with a superglide hitch in a long bed truck? I will tow with it for the first time in August so I am interested in hearing your experiences.

Jeff

Buck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:32 AM   #2
BSHGTO

wellp

more room in the bed
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
C130

I doubt this would be an issue but I'd want to to know exactly how close the pin box got to the tailgate while turning. I had a Superglide in my F250 but switched to a Curt in my F450 for a couple of months and now have a Hensley TS3. The TS3 is a huge improvement and I get no jerking starting or stopping. Personally, I'd sell the Superglide and get a non sliding hitch in a long bed. But, back to the question, I'd have someone check and make sure it didn't hit before towing with it the first time. It seems my hitch in my long bed sits back closer to the rear. I don't think it's an issue but I'd double check.

I really liked my Superglide and honestly didn't want to give it up but my F450 had the factory 5th wheel prep. After switching to a different hitch I found out I prefer the non sliding hitch if not needed and find it smoother. Now, in a short bed I'd rather have the security of the extra turn clearance. The TS3 is in a whole different league but the Curt was much smoother also than my Superglide.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #4
Buck21

Thanks for the info. I hooked the truck up just to see how much it squatted and with the slider all the way forward i think I measured 4.5 to 5 ft clearance from the tailgate. That hitch shouldn't ride all the way forward I don't believe? Now I'm second guessing my measurement

Old 07-04-2015, 03:52 AM   #5
jsmith948

Buck21,

If you don't want the hitch moving back and forth as you negotiate curves, can't you remove the capture plate from the pin box? Would that keep the hitch head from turning and, thus, not sliding?
To me, the most stability is achieved with the king pin positioned 2+ in. forward of the rear axle center line (I think my Reese is set 2 5/16" forward when in the 'travel' position).

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:43 AM   #6
Buck21

Funny you mention that! When I took delivery of my 5th I had no idea what that plate was and my dealership never told me about it. So we unhitched from the delivery Truch and hooked up to mine ( which was a short bed chev at the time) and I proceeded to drive off. The hitch slid all the way back and slammed very hard. I stopped quick because it scared the .... Out of me. As I stopped the hitch came sliding forward slamming hard to a stop. I thought it was going to rip my Truck apart. Called the dealer and they said this capture plate was in my storage area and I needed it on the king pin I thanked them for the heads up on this nuance and once I put it on all went smoothly. Yep true story and was one of those lessons learned about rv'ing