Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

LED lights blinking

Bought 40 LED lights to replace the 921 lights in the trailer. Replaced 36 of them and left the other 4 so I would have some spares. Right away I noticed some of them would sporadically blink/flash....sort of like a flourescent light when it's cold. I thought they might have to "burn in" or something but that doesn't seem to be the case. It does seem to appear that after they have been on a while they improve. Also, replacing a "flasher" with a new lamp eliminates the problem. I'm thinking that they are defective and need replacement; just hated to have to order another batch. Has anyone had this experience? Is it the nature of the beast or do I just need to get new ones and forget it. It's not an issue either way but was just wondering.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:26 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Without knowing the "type" of LED assemblies you installed, there may be an issue with "overvoltage". Some LED's are designed to operate "AT" 12VDC and some have a voltage regulator built into the assembly that allows them to operate within a range of voltage. That's usually 12-28 VDC. You might have the "unregulated LED assemblies" and when your converter "kicks into boost mode" they flicker ??? Just a thought, of course it could also be any number of other problems, but I'd suspect voltage fluctuations.

Here's a recent thread on the topic. Rather than repost it all, read the part about how the WFCO operates and it may explain better ??? http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...645#post166645

Hope it helps.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
justlkn

If your LEDs are like mine you may have to take them out and spread the two copper wires outward then replace. Doing this creates more pressure on the contacts when plugged back in. It helped me, hopefully it helps you too.

Glenn

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks for the help guys.

I'll try spreading the wires. They've been on for an hour or so now and none are blinking (only certain ones do it). John, the bulbs are GRV T10 194 12 LEDs for 12v only. I'm thinking it's something to do with the individual LED because the ones I've replaced don't blink any longer. I did find one that bent just a tiny bit when I pulled on it and it quit for good so maybe they just have some imperfect connections in there somewhere. It's raining cats and dogs here in FL at the moment so that will give me something to do
Old 04-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Danny,

When we first got LED's for the Springdale, I bought the 48 LED flat panels with the 3 interchangeable pigtails. They were 12VDC and for the most part, they worked very well. I still have a number of them in the Cougar. When we bought the new fifth wheel, I took the ones I could get out and swapped them with the incandescent bulbs. The new owner of the Springdale got about half LED's and half incandescents. I wasn't asked why, but my response was going to be, "They are expensive and when dry camping we only use half the lights".... But, alas, nobody ever asked

Anyway, back on track, the new LED panels I bought for the Cougar have the voltage regulator built in. The only ones I've ever had "flicker" (and it's only one or two LED's on the panel, not the whole panel) have been the original ones from the Springdale. When they do flicker, the DC voltmeter on my monitor panel indicates 14.4-14.6 VDC. So, I more or less "deduced" that in my situation, the flickering is voltage related. Without knowing more about your LED assemblies, that may (or may not) be a consideration. Either way, at the price of LED's nowdays, it's not a big deal like it was 5 years ago when they cost $20 each.

If you do decide to buy more in the future, look for the ones marked 12-28 VDC. They will have the regulator, the ones marked 12VDC do not. There's some concern (by some people) that the voltage regulators cause interference with radio/TV reception. From what I can determine, the early ones did, the more recent ones do not cause interference. What little I can find online tends to lead to the "reverse polarity" feature. The LED's with voltage regulators that had to be plugged in a certain way (pos/pos and neg/neg) sometimes did cause interference, the new ones that are not polarity sensitive (can be plugged in either way) from what I can find, don't cause interference.

I think LED's have a "personality" much like a car or truck.... Some start very easily when it's cold and won't start when it's hot... Some start when it's hot and not when it's cold and some never seem to have a problem hot or cold.... LED's, as many as are produced, some are probably more sensitive than others to voltage spikes, get one or two per thousand, assemble them on boards of 36 or 48 each and occasionally you'll have a panel or two that flicker. Why? Hmmmmm maybe "personality" ??? Realistically, it's probably just that one LED is at the "lower limit" of reliability and others are closer to the middle, but they all work ????? Anyway.......

Anyway, if they're working, it's "miller time"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-11-2015, 04:13 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks John.

You are probably correct on the LED assembly assessment. I was also unaware of the regulated LEDs which I will get if the flickering persists.

When I installed them just before we left TX I noticed a couple of them flickering but wasn't in the trailer with them on long enough to worry about it. We've been sitting here this afternoon in the rain with 6 two lamp fixtures on for several hours without a flicker but the converter isn't making a sound (love the LEDs - before installing them the converter kicked on with the first switch). It very well may be that the voltage changes/spikes when the converter kicks in and the lamps can't adjust to it (some of them). I'll check that out as well.

I appreciate the insight. The LEDs are a great investment for an RV in my opinion.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:25 PM   #7
LaTundra

LED installation

After reading JRJTHs explanation about LEDs, I ordered 20 that he recommended. These were quite a pig to install! No amount of wiggling, jiggling, pushing, pulling, mussing, fussing, cussing or lubricating would get those suckers IN!
I took a closer look at the wedge or bayonet. It appears to be thicker than the 921s so I borrowed DWs finger nail file and tapered them somewhat. They went in a lot easier.
But DW is a little upset.
1 very sweet Dear Wife
3 mean cats and a one-eyed dawg.

Previous campers/tow vehicles:
73 Apache Mesa hard side popup/74 Chevy Nova 350 cid 3sp m
96 Coleman Shenandoah popup/91 Toyota Extended cab 2.4l 5sp m
04 KZ Frontier 2101QSF/00 Toyota Tundra 4.7l 4sp a
LaTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:05 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Sorry about the bases not fitting, Who'd have thunk, eh?

Anyway, now that you have them installed, how are they when compared to the incandescent bulbs?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #9
LaTundra

LED installation

Very bright! DW is pleased. Ran out of bulbs, ordered another 10 pk today. Still have the bunks, bathroom, outdoor kitchen and storage to do. Know anyone who would buy some antique 921s, slightly used?
1 very sweet Dear Wife
3 mean cats and a one-eyed dawg.

Previous campers/tow vehicles:
73 Apache Mesa hard side popup/74 Chevy Nova 350 cid 3sp m
96 Coleman Shenandoah popup/91 Toyota Extended cab 2.4l 5sp m
04 KZ Frontier 2101QSF/00 Toyota Tundra 4.7l 4sp a
LaTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:47 PM   #10
Ken / Claudia

After reading this I ran the 3 steps out the back door to my trailer and did a test. I got the 12 to 28v replacements for the 921s last week. To put them in I used a small needle nose to hold the base and push them into the sockets. That worked real good.
My test was 48 degrees outside air. For about 15 minutes, I turned all lights on and than the radio thru both FM and AM modes, left it on turned on the TV and than the heater. None of the lights flicked that I could see. TV and radio work as normal. Lastly I turned some lights off and waited 1 minute and turned them back on, still none flickered. If anything changes over the trip the next 2 days I will advise. So far I think this was the best money spend upgrade for me. 20 lights over night shipped under 50 bucks. Lastly all lights come on right away since the first on/off, no burn or warm up time noted.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote