Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #1
Bman916
Permanent User Ban

California DMV non commercial class A

So I have a TH that tops out at 16500 so i had to get it... At the DMV in Rocklin and they have not had anyone in for this in years and don't know what to do.

They found the test and I passed. Supper easy 20 questions. It's all from the 5th DMV hand book.
Bman916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:16 PM   #2
homer3

Yes the ruling is there in CA. I believe the requirement starts either at 10K or 12K. I spoke with local CHP office. The officer said that they don't usually enforce this unless it appears you are driving without knowledge of what you are doing out there. Bad thing is, this question has come up before. One individual stated he gotten in an accident and his insurance carrier backed out on hime because he was not legally license to pull the wait. Sounds like a loop hole on their point, but legal.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:00 PM   #3
sw342
Permanent User Ban

You can't beat the Rocklin DMV. Its always easy in and out there every time I go. I have a commercial class A so I didn't have to worry about any endorsements when I got my TH.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

In California towing a fiver is as follows:

Under 10,000 GVWR can be towed with class C (regular license)

10,001-15,000 GVWR you need a class C and a "travel trailer endorsement".

15,001 and over you need a non commercial class A.

IMO, the state is starting to see this as a vast untapped revenue generator. I'm not suprised at all that the DMV clerk didn't know about it, but now that you have passed, that's one less worry as you roll down The highway.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer3 View Post
Yes the ruling is there in CA. I believe the requirement starts either at 10K or 12K. I spoke with local CHP office. The officer said that they don't usually enforce this unless it appears you are driving without knowledge of what you are doing out there. Bad thing is, this question has come up before. One individual stated he gotten in an accident and his insurance carrier backed out on hime because he was not legally license to pull the wait. Sounds like a loop hole on their point, but legal.

Having been in law enforcement for a bit, I can assure you that because 1 officer tells you something sure doesn't mean the whole department is that way. And truth be told, one cop having a bad day can make for a lot of revenue generating.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer3 View Post
One individual stated he gotten in an accident and his insurance carrier backed out on hime because he was not legally license to pull the wait. Sounds like a loop hole on their point, but legal.
homer3 -
Insurance companies are in the business to collect premiums and; wherever possible, to deny claims. Most companies have teams of lawyers pouring over claims to find a way to avoid paying. If there is a "loophole" somewhere in the fine print, they will be sure to find it. That is why it is important for people to read the fine print and to understand what is covered and what isn't.
Ethics and morals and insurance companies just don't co-exist.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #7
Bman916
Permanent User Ban

So get this... They messed up and approved me for the lic instead of the permit. They asked me nicely to bring it back into them when it arrives .... Yea right
Old 01-28-2015, 03:06 AM   #8
T3/T4 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman916 View Post
So get this... They messed up and approved me for the lic instead of the permit. They asked me nicely to bring it back into them when it arrives .... Yea right
They will revoke it if you don't. All DMV has to do is enter the information into the computer system and it will over ride the card that you have. Take it back and follow the steps they want you to go through. It will be easier for you in the long run.
T3/T4 Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:59 AM   #9
mazboy123

rules

follow the rules, at least for your insurance coverage. it is that simple.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:57 AM   #10
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Having been in law enforcement for a bit, I can assure you that because 1 officer tells you something sure doesn't mean the whole department is that way. And truth be told, one cop having a bad day can make for a lot of revenue generating.
Very true. Every department has a few tin men.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:58 AM   #11
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman916 View Post
So I guess you didn't escape the drive test.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #12
Bman916
Permanent User Ban

I made my appt at West Sac CDL this morning already..... It was fun to finally have a DMV screw up land in my favor, oh course when CHP runs my CDL they will see in the computer I only have my permit. But a "face" value I'd be legit! lol
Old 01-29-2015, 09:01 AM   #13
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Depending on how far out your appointment is and if you have free time on your hands, you can always take your trailer down there and get put on the standby list. Many people flunk the pre-trip and now the examiner has nothing to do for 2 hours, so you can squeeze into the spot of the person that flunked. Anything commercial related that W. Sac DMV is the place to go. Usually only one person in line if that. In and out in minutes.

For a non commercial do they still make you do a pre-trip, skills test, and drive test? Or do you just have to drive? Are you going to have someone with a commercial license drive you and the rig down there or just go yourself? Technically you don't have the correct license to be driving yourself there with the trailer, but I doubt they would even say anything.