Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2014, 02:37 PM   #1
trueweb

Winterizing a 299MP - Questions

Seems like every new thread is winterization... It's about to get real cold boys and girls!

What I know
- I found the low point drains for fresh water, water heater and entire system. with all faucets open I have drained all the water.
- I recently added a water pump with pressure tank. I'm positive the pressure tank will not empty and I'm not sure how to get that water out or how to get anti-freeze in.
- I have a splendide washer and dryer

Questions on my 299MP:
- Is draining all the low points enough?
- How do I bypass the water heater? I cannot find any sort of access around it. Someone has to know how on a 299MP, the manual just says bypass it and it may be behind a panel (mystery panel).
- Anyone know how to drain a washer and dryer?
- If I drain using the low point drains do I still need to pressurize the system with air?

My biggest concern is finding the water heater bypass... I may just yank the pump for the winter and keep it in the house.

Thanks!
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueweb View Post

- I recently added a water pump with pressure tank. I'm positive the pressure tank will not empty and I'm not sure how to get that water out or how to get anti-freeze in.

I think you will need to use your water pump to pump the RV antifreeze into the accumulator/pressure tank. You may already have a bypass kit hooked up to your water pump. In which case, you just insert the "open" end of the hose into a container of RV antifreeze and turn the pump on.
If you are pumping the pink stuff into your lines, you will need to find the bypass valve to the water heater to prevent filling it up with pink stuff.

The other option would be to disconnect both the accumulator tank and the water pump and take them inside over the winter as you hinted below.

Questions on my 299MP:
- Is draining all the low points enough?

Draining all the water is only part of the process. You will need to either use compressed air to blow the lines out to clear out all the water from all the lines OR use RV antifreeze OR both.

- How do I bypass the water heater? I cannot find any sort of access around it. Someone has to know how on a 299MP, the manual just says bypass it and it may be behind a panel (mystery panel).

The bypass valve is found on the back side (interior) of the HW heater. Look carefully for a panel that is held in place by screws. If there is no panel to be found, it may be accessed by removing a drawer(s). You have to be able to access it in some way or another.

- If I drain using the low point drains do I still need to pressurize the system with air?

Yes and no. Yes, if you are not going to use RV antifreeze and no if you don't plan on using it. As I said earlier, you can use both methods - blowing the lines out and filling them with pink stuff. This is just "extra insurance and peace of mind".

My biggest concern is finding the water heater bypass... I may just yank the pump for the winter and keep it in the house.

Thanks!
Hope these suggestions help.