Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
sjturbo

Tank Monitors Problem, 316RL!

This is a two part question. Came back from our last outing and noticed all of my "Tank Monitors read full (all lights lit) when I push each switch. Yes, I did remember to dump! All fuses check ok. What's up? Second part of the question is, which side, (awning/door side or driver side) for easier access to the sensors on the tanks?
Thanks!
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds more like a ground issue on the monitor panel rather than an issue with three tanks ??? I'd start by checking the ground behind the panel. If you aren't sure what to do, there's a pretty good troubleshooting guide on the "one sheet manual" that should have come with your RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
sjturbo

Thanks JRTJH, I did not buy the unit new but I will check for the "one page" tell all. Is the ground the white/neutral?
Old 11-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I think it's blue ??? Don't ask me why, but it's the wire on the back of the monitor panel that's "common" to all of the buttons/lights.

If you think about it, if the 12VDC is being applied to every LED (they all light) then it would either mean that every sensor and every wire has "failed' or it would mean that the 12VDC is being applied to all of them from one source. The only "one source" would be the ground wire. I'd think that somehow, it has 12 VDC being "backfed" to all the lights at the same time.

You can get the name of the monitor panel, do a GOOGLE search and probably come up with the owner's manual. As I said, it's a single sheet of "very thin Chinese paper" folded into about a 4x6" "booklet".

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Most monitor panels the ground is white, the blue is the signal wire from the fresh tank.

Which side of the tank are the sensors on? Good question, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. I would start by opening the side where the drains are as that's the most popular.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
mazboy123

sensors

get over it, the sensors never work. just learn how long you can fill tanks before you have to dump.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:19 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy123 View Post
get over it, the sensors never work. just learn how long you can fill tanks before you have to dump.
Since my first trailer in 1989, all of my tank sensors have worked. And I am proud to say that EVERY RV I have PDI'd has working sensors when it leaves our lot.

Unless a person has the ability to monitor and record each persons "total contribution" to the waste tank, or look down the toilet hoping to see the waste level, sensors can be invaluable.

Sorry but I don't subscribe to the "they never work..get over it". To each their own.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Most monitor panels the ground is white, the blue is the signal wire from the fresh tank.

Which side of the tank are the sensors on? Good question, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. I would start by opening the side where the drains are as that's the most popular.
I just walked out to look and it is the white wire.

While I had the monitor panel off the wall, I noticed that the plug was partly unplugged. You might want to double check to make sure the small plug in the back is completely connected.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
sjturbo

Thanks for the more useful responses! Although I have had some minor readout issues in the past this does not seem to be a sensor related problem, be sure though, I'll get over it. Anyway, I did check the connector and it was secure. I did find the one paragraph blurb in the paperwork, but that was worthless. I did google the unit and only found it for sale, but no more. I will search further. I think it is likely an electrical issue so I will try to find a pin out or schematic.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

At the tank there is 4 wires attached to a round puck looking thing. It has a resistor in it and they can fail, giving you false readings. Very easy to change and cheap.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:20 AM   #11
sjturbo

Thanks for the additional ideas. The strange thing is that all of the lights, light when the button is pressed for each tank! That would seem to mean that the circuit loop for each sensor is being completed. Very strange.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:27 AM   #12
vetorio

The first thing I do on problematic low voltage items is to remove all the power from it ( no shore power and disconnect battery). Let it sit for 5 minutes and see it that solves the problem. If that doesn't do it I'd replace the module first before I'd start digging sensors out of the tanks.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk
vetorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #13
sjturbo

Thanks Vetorio, Not to into digging out sensors either. Like I said it affects all of the tanks as so I'm leaning toward a possible short.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:57 AM   #14
pjhansman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjturbo View Post
This is a two part question. Came back from our last outing and noticed all of my "Tank Monitors read full (all lights lit) when I push each switch. Yes, I did remember to dump! All fuses check ok. What's up? Second part of the question is, which side, (awning/door side or driver side) for easier access to the sensors on the tanks?
Thanks!
Interesting....I thought we had the same 5ver, but my tank monitor actually is a single button that activates all the sensors, including fresh water and battery level.
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #15
sjturbo

My 316RL is a 2010 is might be a bit older. They seem to change parts depending on price and availability.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #16
KMH

Until Chuckster's post above, I have never heard of anyone saying that the sensors work.. Everyone I have ever talked to has not had good luck with the throwaway systems they use in campers.

Sounds like you may have a loose wire somewhere, but I would still recommend replacing the factory tank monitor with a SeeLevel system. I went with the 709-4PH, so that I can add a second freshwater tank next Spring. I used a propane WH switch to run the electric side, versus the dual switch that originally was in there, as the monitor I bought had one WH switch on it already. Sensors read through the plastic tanks and up to 1/2" of sludge build-up.. So nothing to get gunked up.

KMH is offline   Reply With Quote