Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2014, 05:04 AM   #1
E597283

Decals Removal and Replacement

I have a 2007 Passport 2910bh that had decals on both rear top and bottom fade and become discolored. The pewter colored decals have orange blotches and look terrible. I ordered new ones which do not come sized to fit and will need trimming to match existing layout. My question is I started to remove one small area using a heat gun and straight edge. It is a time consumer exercise that leaves sticky residue and scratch fiberglass. I was wondering why I couldn’t just go over the existing decals. They are not pealing or anything.

2011 Keystone Passport 2910BH Ltd. Edition

2007 Yukon XL Denali, 6.2 liter
E597283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
RdRmr

E597283,
I would not install the new decals over the old, the existing ones will eventually start to peal and crack then there goes your new ones. Replaced my front cap ones once and within six months they started to do the same, crack and dark red color on the white decal surfaces, the sun just cooks them. I removed them same as you with a heat gun and plastic scraper, be careful it will scratch. I removed the sticky residue with lacquer thinner then scrubber it good with soap and water. Then polished the front cap with a fiber glass polish. There is a ghost image there now but I can live with that, better looking than cracking faded decals. The sun here in southern Calif. is brutal. Good luck with it. Happy Campin....

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW, CCLB, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin.
Curt puck legs w/Curt Q16 head
VET/USMC
RdRmr is offline   Reply With Quote