Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
Anson9110

Argh! Looking for advice on fridge..

I just arrived at my camper and the fridge wouldn't ignite. I yelled to my wife to turn it on and I simply lit it with a BBQ lighter. Is this ok to do temporarily??? I'll order the new igniter when I get home. (Kinda worry about gas etc...) I deal with pilot lights on a regular basis but not RV ones...
Anson9110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It's "OK" to light it the way you did, but unfortunately, unlike the old "standing pilot light" refrigerators of years gone by, yours has no pilot light. Once it reaches temperature, it will shut down the gas and when it warms up enough to call for added cooling, it will try to ignite the flame again. If the igniter is not functioning, it will shut down and display a fault.

Fortunately, when this happens, it shuts off the gas supply. You will not have a "gas leak" behind the refrigerator, but you won't have any cooling either.

It may be the igniter, but it could also be the control board.

First, however, I'd make sure your battery is fully charged. The most common malfunction for the refrigerator is a partially discharged battery.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
Anson9110

Thank you very much for help!! If there is one thing I feel uneasy about it's gas. I have a restaurant and it's the only thing I call the pros in for. What you said makes perfect sense!! The fridge has been running now all evening and seems ok so far but I'm not certain it has reached temp yet. I had the generator running when I was lighting it but the batteries were still at 12.2 at the time, I'm not sure if the fact the generator was running influence the 12 volt for the fridge? (Does the converter compensate for low batteries in this case??)
Thank you again for putting my mind at ease.. I'm a couple Km's in the bush and tend to worry more than normal I guess. Anson.
Anson9110 is offline   Reply With Quote