Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
canadianboy

Level TT with slide in or out?

started last year with a Travel Trailer, and still trying to get all things lined up so no problems as still new, but is it better to level a trailer with the slide in or have it out then level it? thanks
canadianboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianboy View Post
started last year with a Travel Trailer, and still trying to get all things lined up so no problems as still new, but is it better to level a trailer with the slide in or have it out then level it? thanks
Recommendation is to level rig before opening slide(s)
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:41 PM   #3
Western Traveler

With our little trailer the most obvious thing is with the slide out I would have to crawl under it to adjust the blocks. Once leveled the weight of the slide has not changed level any noticible amount when extended.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:52 AM   #4
Bob Landry

The weight of the slide is going to affect the level, so you will need to figure out how much and account for it when you level the trailer. I check level with a bubble level in the middle of the floor and my two slide-outs change the level by a bubble.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:11 AM   #5
Javi

Level side to side, chock the wheels, unhook from TV, level front to back, put the stabilizer jacks down, hook up electric, water and sewer(if applicable) then run the slide out.

One note for those with a touch of OCD... the old days of your refrigerator self-destructing if not perfectly level are long gone... get her close and have an adult beverage.

I use a 3 foot carpenter's level in the doorway and I've never had an issue... It's close enough that stuff don't roll off the counter or table and that's good enough.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:47 AM   #6
GaryWT

I level with the slides in, put down the jacks and then open the slides. I do have to have the slide side slightly higher so it is level when the slides are open.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:29 AM   #7
cabinfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Level side to side, chock the wheels, unhook from TV, level front to back, put the stabilizer jacks down, hook up electric, water and sewer(if applicable) then run the slide out.

One note for those with a touch of OCD... the old days of your refrigerator self-destructing if not perfectly level are long gone... get her close and have an adult beverage.

I use a 3 foot carpenter's level in the doorway and I've never had an issue... It's close enough that stuff don't roll off the counter or table and that's good enough.

EXACTLY!

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #8
chartrand

I level with slide in as well. Moving the weight of the slide further out once leveled might have some effect , (depending on the type of ground your parked on), but I've never worried about it. If I park on soft ground, like you get in early spring, I have left the slide side a hair higher expecting things to settle some. But it's really not needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #9
canadianboy

thanks guys for your help
canadianboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #10
bsmith0404

Pretty much what everyone else has said, level, put down stabilizers and put slides out. What I found on mine old camper is that I would have to have the double slide side just a bit high or the slider/pocket door between the main cabin and bedroom would move on its own. That was the only thing that would clue me in that it wasn't completely level, oh and maybe just a small puddle in the shower.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:01 AM   #11
PT RV`er

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
I level with the slides in, put down the jacks and then open the slides. I do have to have the slide side slightly higher so it is level when the slides are open.
X2, same thing I do as both of my slides are on the same side.

PT RV`er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #12
airforceret

I have to admit... I'm pretty much all of the above at one point or another! Rain, snow, heat, tired, dark ..... all factors in which order my slides get out! I've yet to see where it really matters overall... I will say that it's easier to chock the wheels before the slides go out... but it's also nice to get the slides out so the wife and dog have a place to hang out while I'm setting up!
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #13
Whitewolf

Just a thought. Before you go out, level your rig with the slides in, then check it with the slides out. Then you've got an idea what the difference is.

We had(have) a Forest River Rockwood Windjammer and it made a big difference between slides in and slides out.

I say (have) because we still have 2 freakin' ft of snow. We made the trade to a Montana High Country several weeks ago on paper, but the Windjammer is still in locked storage behind that snow.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

I feel your pain, Whitewolf. We lost about 6" today, but the drive is running a river of water, mud and sand with the melt. When it's all gone, I'll go out and drag all the gravel back up the hill..... Only about 18" to go and we'll have grass with no ice in the yard !!!!! (Well, except for the piles around the drive and in the back yard.) Hopefully they will melt by June.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:45 PM   #15
Whitewolf

I love winter I really do. But it came early and has been long. I'm ready of it to go. At this rate it'll be June around here too.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #16
fla-gypsy

I level first, chock and stabilize then put the slides out and hook up utilities, awning, rug, etc.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #17
KJcachers

Level TT with slide in or out?

I level and put out the stabilizers/Chocks. Then the slide goes out and I retighten the stabs on the opposite side as my trailer does a bit of a lean with the slide out.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:09 AM   #18
tommyboy123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post

[IMG][/IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
tommyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote