Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
canesfan

Dual Awning Gap When it Rains

Anyone with 2 awnings have an easy solution to the gap between awnings so I don't get wet and melt when it rains? I've thought about it but nothing simple has come to mind, I really don't want to drag out ladders and tarps and such. The Key word here is "easy" or "simple".

I know, someone will say "leave them closed", but hey, why do I have them then? And I mean a nice rain, not thunderstorms with 50mph winds, yes, then I will close them.

I know you guys (and gals) are smart, can't wait for ideas!
Old 02-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
Roller4Tan

Got room for a screen room or an ezpop shelter?
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
billb800si

Umbrella?????

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:28 AM   #4
robo

Cut a piece of luan 8 inches wider 4 inches each side
Pull awning all the way drown and slide it on

Deburr wood first
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:56 AM   #5
Bombfixer

The gap between my two awnings is no more than a foot, awning edge to awning edge. I just take a big step when walking between them. Or I go inside thru main door, walk thru coach, grab a cold beer on the way and out the back door.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
audio1der

This is sortof a funny thread as I've wondered this many times as I hopped across the puddle between awnings.
I was thinking a piece of tarp with a collapsable frame, but it would blow off unless clipped to each side (awning)...
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The pop up canopies used for weddings, open houses, etc have an optional "gutter system" that is used to connect 2 or 3 of the structures together. This "gutter" is nothing more than an 18" strip of the cover material with Velcro sewn onto the sides. Once the canopies are set up next to each other, you use the velcro to attach this "gutter" to the inside of one canopy, down under and up to the edge of the other canopy and attach it there. Once installed, the rain that flows off the sloped ends of the canopies is collected in this "gutter" and flows out to the side of the canopies.

I wonder if it would work to put "Velcro sticky tabs" on the underside of the two awnings and just velcro one of these "gutters" to the edges of the awnings, effectively covering the space between the two? Of course the awnings would need to be sloped away from the center so most of the rain would flow to the outside of the awnings rather than in toward the "gutter".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:03 AM   #8
canesfan

Thanks for the replies.

John, thanks, I didn't know about the gutter system for popups, but that was something that I was envisioning doing, making a gutter. I was just trying to figure how to keep whatever material I used up there. I had thought about thin aluminum just bent into a U shape, luan as mentioned here, etc, but this might be the answer. Not sure if the stick on velcro would stick to the fabric or if they'd have to be sewn on but it's worth a try. Would you have a link to where I might find just the gutters? My searching hasn't come up with anything yet.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:42 AM   #9
canesfan

I did finally find a few gutters online, not sure they would be wide enough looking at the limited photos provided. One does attach with ball bungees instead of velcro which is an idea too.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's a link to one on Amazon that's $7 (shipping included if you're a Prime member). For the price, it might be worth it to get one and just play with it to see what works. This one is the "bungee ball" type, but for the price.....
http://www.amazon.com/King-Canopy-RG.../dp/B006N01FO6

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #11
canesfan

Thanks, that's the one I saw too. I have to go look at my awnings again. I think off the top of my head with something like this is the awning sits inside the frames, so if you bungeed it to the frames you'd still have a gap on each side. But like you said, for $7 it might be worth it just to play with. It's in my amazon cart.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:52 AM   #12
WaltBennett

If your awnings are manual the gutter idea might work. My wife and I have used EZ-Ups and other brand pop-up tents for over ten years while vending at art & craft shows. The framing of them is very, very different than an RV awning and the canvas (or whatever it's made of) is oriented differently as well. If you're interested in something for light rain or drizzle, a gutter should work, but I wouldn't expect much in something like some of the one's we've had to sit through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1149 small.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	5135  

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:10 AM   #13
canesfan

Walt, thanks, the awnings are electric and after looking at them again I don't see the bungee idea working , maybe the velcro ones if I can figure how to get velcro attached to my awnings. And like you said, they wouldn't be good for a monsoon at any rate. I'm really surprised with all the "stuff" on the market for RVs that someone isn't selling something for this, yet. I wish I was smart enough to come up with something that I could sell.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #14
WaltBennett

Our Monty is the first unit we've had with an electric awning. I was very used to having manual awnings out in all kinds of weather (tied down with auger stakes) and only worrying about high winds - like over 25 mph. Since this was my first electric one, I actually read the manual and found out it wasn't supposed to be left out in anything more than a drizzle. After having it for almost a year now, I can understand why - the hardware doesn't really support much of anything. I've a tie down kit that I'm afraid to use for fear it'll bend something the wrong way. All we use the thing for now is shade.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:55 AM   #15
canesfan

Yeah, I know what you mean, the arms and all aren't made to withstand much of anything, I actually worry more about wind then rain. I too have the old tie downs but am afraid to use them on the electric awnings. Seems the old manual ones were much sturdier. At least with most of the newer electric ones you can adjust them for rain runoff like you could the manual ones.