Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2014, 06:37 AM   #1
FullTimer

Soon to install Voltage Monitors

I think I'm having a voltage sag problem at times in the park, I really noticed it during the last cold storm, It kind of comes and goes. I suspect many were running alot of heaters. So I saw these on Ebay and ordered a set for Ac and Dc. They'll be in in the next two weeks or so, and I will install them near the main control area, where I installed the heating pad switches. Their recessed lcd's, so I will be dremeling the wall again lol. I can glance and notice current voltage levels then.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131112133954...84.m1439.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141182705771...84.m1439.l2649

Details about AC 80-500V BLUE digital voltmeter panel voltage meter
Digital Voltmeter LCD Panel Display DC 0-199.9V Voltage Meter
FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:43 AM   #2
Steve S

Great idea! I'll be following this thread as I've been wondering how much of a drop there is when I'm in the shop as I have my sub panel for the trailer there.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:53 AM   #3
FullTimer

Thanks Steve. Good thing is I will have voltage taps pretty close lol. At least, at a glance I can see where I stand.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
SAD
Permanent User Ban

They also have ammeter displays.... You could get two and install one on each hot let of your panel feed.

If you're on a 30 amp campground, they should read the same... If you're at a 50 amp camp ground, they sum total will represent the load on your panel.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:01 AM   #5
FullTimer

Thanks, I saw some that had inductive loops for that, but didn't want to get into that aspect. But that would be a great way to monitor power consumption coming through the line.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
Bob Landry

While it's nice to know what your voltage situation is, it's really pretty much a moot point if you don't have protection against fluctuations.
Why not install something like the Progressive Industries EMS that will protect you against all of the campground electrical variations and also display voltage and current usage? If it saves a single appliance, then it has paid for itself and it will be the gift that keeps on giving.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
FullTimer

I'm not quite ready to spend another $250+ until I know I have an issue. Besides, in the next few months, we may be relocating the trailer to another area of the park, with a better set of power lines.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullTimer View Post
I'm not quite ready to spend another $250+ until I know I have an issue. Besides, in the next few months, we may be relocating the trailer to another area of the park, with a better set of power lines.
You may no know you have an issue until you lose several hundred $$$ worth of equipment. The purpose of the EMS is to protect you against a problem. Good luck with it..

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #9
FullTimer

Ok thanks. I actually have 4 years of residential maintenance and 3 years of commercial, including light and heavy electrical. I'm actually considered a 3rd class mechanical engineer . Not to mention several years of residential and commercial HVAC before that, Up to 350 ton chillers. I used to be Universally Certified. I think I'll know if I have a problem.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:47 PM   #10
Steve S

So a question, while I have the generator running should I be worried about anything getting cooked without a surge protector?
Old 02-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #11
abneynormal

i chose this

http://www.lawrencerv.com/products.asp?cat=13
Old 02-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #12
randy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
So a question, while I have the generator running should I be worried about anything getting cooked without a surge protector?
Yep it can happen. Ems protection after your transfer switch monitors gen or any external outside power. But a dc volt digital meter would be nice to have To see what your converter or batteries put out.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:35 AM   #13
Nailz

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy69 View Post
Yep it can happen. Ems protection after your transfer switch monitors gen or any external outside power. But a dc volt digital meter would be nice to have To see what your converter or batteries put out.
One caveat to this advice is that wiring the surge protection after the transfer switch does not protect the transfer switch circuitry. My transfer switch is a WFCO T-30 and costs around $70.

FYI I wired my surge protection (Progressive Industries) after the transfer switch. This way my TT is protected from generator and shore power issues. My reason for this was the components in my TT are many times more expensive than the transfer switch. Also I have had to replace my transfer switch, but it was not that difficult to do.

This configuration allows me to monitor AC voltage & current from both shore power and generator power. It does not monitor the 12VDC which I will need to install a separate gauge for, which is really advantageous to know the battery status.

Curtis

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
2013 Ford F250 SRW 4x4 6.7L, Air Lift 5K Ultimate, B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
2008 Honda Goldwing
Veteran
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:52 AM   #14
Nailz

I have attached a diagram for further information on the WFCO T-30 transfer switch. I ASSUME that most transfer switches operate the same way. Shore power is the default source input power through the transfer switch. When the generator is powered up this supplies voltage to the transfer switch relay. In the transfer switch there is a built-in time delay to allow the generator to stabilize (30sec?) before the relay switches the TT source input power to generator.

Hope this helps you with your decision.

Curtis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	World Friendship Co Transfer Switch T-30C Electrical Diagram.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	5105  

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
2013 Ford F250 SRW 4x4 6.7L, Air Lift 5K Ultimate, B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
2008 Honda Goldwing
Veteran
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote