Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
ronberry

Changing Dometic Single Zone Thermostat

I have a Dometic Single zone thermostat in my Keystone Hideout 27FLBSWE travel trailer.

I am interested in changing the current Single Zone Dometic thermostat with a programmable thermostat. A perfect solution would be to be able to utilize thermostats that are typically used in homes today.

Has anyone changed out the thermostat, and if so - with what
ronberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

ronberry -
A number of members have swapped their OE thermostat with a programmable one and if you do a forum search (type in "programmable thermostat), you will find numerous posts about this very topic. Two of the popular models are Hunter and Honeywell. Just make sure you get one that runs off batteries and is not used for baseboard heaters.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
ronberry

Single Zone - wired different

Unfortunately, from what I can see from the other posts, they are not deailing with a single zone thermostat from Dometic, which is wired differently that others (or so it would appear)

It has 3 wires, 1(COMM), 2 marked 12V
ronberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #4
Inherentwired1

The 3 wire to stat on dometic is actually a trunk communications wire to a circuit board which remotely controls your heat and ac. Unless you're pretty good at controls, stick with the stock thermostat...it's not that bad once you understand the on-line manual.
Inherentwired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
superdog404
Gone Traveling

Hi ronberry - I also wanted to do what you do. I only have the 3 wires for the thermostat. If you look in the install manual near the back it talks about digital thermostats and having a, I think like cat 5 cable between the ac and the thermostat. In researching this I couldn't figure out exactly what they were talking about. I ended up calling Dometic Tech and found out you need a different control box in the ac unit itself plus the thermostat. I wanted to use the Dometic Digital Comfort Control Center. So, according to tech you need the new control box plus the thermostat plus the new cable. I think the control box kit was $92 and the thermostat is a hundred and some dollars. Long story short I guess I'll have to continue with the cheap 1 zoner.
superdog404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat