Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2024, 05:40 AM   #81
jxnbbl

That is a good question. For my inverter it is also a a charger (I have a post or two in here on that). So what bothered me was when the fans went on it is in the pass thru under my bed/head and I didn't want it to be a problem. Anyways since it also charges I experience the fan going on more often since it will activate when "not inverting".

I would call the company's support and ask the question since the specs probably say that the operating temps can be say 140 degrees...but that is probably 'on the board' and it really requires/assumes a 90 degree ambient temp. Note i'm making these temp point all up as an example.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 05:41 AM   #82
jxnbbl

BTW, if you find out that info please post as it would be useful info for these types of installs.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:50 AM   #83
flybouy
Site Team

Be aware that a "a temperature above ambient" is just that, above the ambient air temp. In an enclosed space the ambient will constantly increase if heat is introduced faster than it can dissipate. The cushions above that space will insulate and help hold that heat. The smaller the space the faster the temp will rise. I would provide a method to exchange the air in tat space.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 09:08 AM   #84
jxnbbl

Very good point. What was in my head is that in the compartment that you have the converter and the inverter I would put a automatic fan that starts at (for instance 90 degrees) and then at the other end I would put one of these vents so air is drawn into that seat compartment: LINK
Old 02-15-2024, 10:52 AM   #85
Cheesehead4Life

Keep in mind that it is not simply a matter of maximum allowable temperatures. Look at the specs for your inverter and they will show that the warmer it gets the more the inverter will gradually derate the output. That is something to be aware of and consider.
Cheesehead4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 01:57 PM   #86
MrKABC

Thank you @jxnbbl and @Cheesehead4Life!

I bought this controller:

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-A...0QFWLGPU&psc=1

Since it's for the battery compartment I should have access to the power I need to run it.

It does come with a 120V wall plug but I will skip that and connect directly to DC voltage, whatever that may be. Hoping for 12v or less though, that makes it easier on me. The user manual wasn't much help with that regard so I guess I will figure it out.

The LCD readout will make it easy to "dial in" the temps, and I will configure it as an exhaust fan from the compartment. The area where I placed the inverter already has a vent and cover to the passenger area so I'm not worried about air intake into the compartment, will just need to add a couple of vent holes in the dividing luan between the battery and the inverter sections to promote positive airflow.

Shouldn't be too hard. I'll report back!

EDIT: @flybuoy I have a question into Victron technical support about the temperatures for the inverter.
Mods: 800w Solar, Victron Multiplus 3000 inverter, Victron 100/50 MPPT, Battle Born GC2 LiPo (x5), FOS07TASF Furrion backup camera, RVLock v4, Mopeka PRO (x2) LPG tank sensors, TireMinder i10 TPMS, Micro Air 364 soft start capacitor, 40" TV, Garnet See Level 709P3W1003 tank monitor system, RVLovent 14" Roof Fan.
Coming attractions: 9880 Dirt Devil central vacuum, Nautilus RV shower door system.
MrKABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 10:27 PM   #87
MrKABC

BOONDOCKING TEST REPORT

Thursday, 4-4 AM to Sunday, 4-7 PM out in the desert. Victron inverter powered constantly. Three of four solar panels connected, for a total of 600w.
  • Microwave used to heat meals
  • Coffee pot run all AM through noon
  • TV (40" Hisense) used at night
  • CPAP every night

I did not use my generator once the entire trip. Started at 100%, battery level as measured by BMV-712 around 84% in the morning. Solar recharged batteries to around 95% or so, and back down again to low 80s each subsequent night. When I got home, I shut off the inverter, and the panels recharged the batteries back to 100%. Still haven't hooked up to shore power.

No temperature issues, no problems running coffee pot and microwave simultaneously. Inverter functioned flawlessly, AC power on constantly the entire trip. I can imagine that when I get my fourth solar panel connected it will recharge even faster.

Overall, I think my inverter/solar/battery mod project was a great success.
Mods: 800w Solar, Victron Multiplus 3000 inverter, Victron 100/50 MPPT, Battle Born GC2 LiPo (x5), FOS07TASF Furrion backup camera, RVLock v4, Mopeka PRO (x2) LPG tank sensors, TireMinder i10 TPMS, Micro Air 364 soft start capacitor, 40" TV, Garnet See Level 709P3W1003 tank monitor system, RVLovent 14" Roof Fan.
Coming attractions: 9880 Dirt Devil central vacuum, Nautilus RV shower door system.
MrKABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 09:15 AM   #88
Cheesehead4Life

Gotta love it when you can sit back and enjoy the fruits of labor!

But, surely there will be more projects/upgrades in your future.

Nicely done!
Cheesehead4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithium battery, solar, victron