Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
MrAndy

Question How can we get a more accurate estimate of pin weight when ordering a 5th wheel?

I'm considering the purchase of an Alpine or Montana 5th wheel. The only pin weight information we have is the as-shipped dry pin weights listed in the sales brochure.

First, do those published pin weights include battery, propane, or fresh water?

Second, I completely understand that you cannot predict the pin weight of a loaded trailer, but is there any way to get an accurate pin weight with battery, full propane, and any ordered options? I would recommend you should have a "configuration tool" of some sort online that lets you specify factory options, battery, propane, and maybe even full tank of fresh water, and spits out an actual pin weight. Of course any cargo added by the user cannot be included

My issue - and I am sure MANY people share this - is how do I order a 5th wheel, and know with certainty that I am not exceeding my truck capacity? By the time I take delivery, it's too late!

Thanks in advance,
Andy H.
MrAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
Paddler

Hi Andy,
I think you would be better served by taking the empty weight and add the max payload the trailer can hold. Multiply this number by 0.2 and then read the max payload label on your trucks driver's side door or door jam. If the trucks max payload is greater than the gross pin weight calculation, plus the weight of the hitch and passengers, you should be good to go. If not...look for a lighter trailer or bigger truck.
Hope this helps,
Old 01-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
Cool Canuck

You might try calling Keystone and see what similarly equipped trailers are coming out at. Having said that, I found Keystone's Customer Service less than helpful at times.

It has been my experience, advertised pin weights are always a few hundred lbs shy of actual. Mine was spec at 2,000 and weighed @ 2,500. Buddy's spec @ 2,500 and weighed closer to 3,500. In both cases, the units had propane, jacks, leveling blocks etc. but not loaded for travel. Leave yourself some wiggle room. You can also lighten the hitch by loading stuff in the rear of the trailer. Just don't over do it.
Cool Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Published pin weights DO NOT include propane, water or battery. Those items must be added to the shipping weight as well as partly being added to the pin weight.

As a "WILD GUESSTIMATION" of about where the pin weight would likely be, get the unloaded (shipping) weight, add 1000 lbs and then figure about 25% of that to be "about" where the pin weight will be. That formula is NOT exact and if you can get an actual weight of the specific trailer, that's the best way. Keep in mind that two different trailers of the same model may well have a significant difference in pin weight depending on optional equipment and owner loading. If you use this formula, you'll probably be on the high side of a moderately loaded fifth wheel.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
mhs4771

Also a lot will depend on the options you add. A Genny will add close to 300 Lbs and almost all of that ends up on the pin. Our current unit has a brochure pin weight of 2660, but on the scales it's 3900 to 4000 Lbs. But we have the 2nd AC, 5.5 KW Genny, dual 40 Lb LP tanks, fully loaded front clothes closet. So as you can see pin weights can be all over the place, part of the reason to make sure you have plenty of TV, better more than you need vs not enough or barely enough.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
jlb27537

We have pulled 5th's for years. Take the GVWR of the trailer and take 25% for hitch weight.

I am a "winter texan" after fulltimming for 10 years. I have yet to meet a driver of a SRW truck that has actually weighed his rig. Every driver of a DRW truck knows his weights.

I would bet that 80-90% of the SRW drivers are either at or over the GAWR of their trucks on the rear axle.

Yea, they all do it, but all it takes is one blowout an you will be wishing for a DRW tow vehicle.

Jim
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote