Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2012, 02:59 AM   #1
reubenray

Roads from McComb, MS to Alexandria, La.??

How can you tell if a group of roads are suitable for RV travel? I am looking at taking US Hwy's. 84 & 98 from McComb to Natchez and then on over to Alexandria.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Reuben, 84/98 is a good road to travel, As you come into McComb from Tylertown, stay on 98 at the stoplight intersection of 98/51. That is Presley Blvd. About 3 miles further on 98, you'll get on I 55 North to Summit. DON'T try to turn right on 51 to Summit, there is one HECK OF A HILL with 3 red lights that will catch you. It is nearly impossibly not to roll backwards at the Main Stree redlight, and with a trailer in tow, it's nerve wracking!!! Anyway, in Summit, you'll exit I 55 and travel west on 98. You'll have 2 lanes from Summit to Bude, which is where 98 joins 84, then it will be 4 lane divided highway from there to Natchez. Once you turn onto the westbound traffic over the Mississippi River, you'll have a 4 lane roads until you get to Ferriday. There you'll turn (at Colonel Sanders Fried Chicken) to the left and it will be 2 lane roads from there until you get to about 8 miles outside Alexandria. Remember, in Little River, which is nothing more than a single gas station and one house, that you'll have to turn left onto 28 toward Catahoula. If you miss that turn, you'll end up in a cotton field outside Jena and it's a long way back LOL (Been there done that, saw the movie, have the Tee shirt, the book and the poster) <sigh>

All the roads are well maintained (by Louisiana and Mississippi standards) and are good enough to tow. We used to regularly tow our Holiday Rambler to Osyka from ALexandria on 84/98/28 with no problelms.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:36 AM   #3
reubenray

Thanks for the detailed info on this route. Being I have got lost or missed a turn on both of my trips the one you referred to would be a given. I will have to watch for that one. Will it be safe to assume there will be some RV friendly gas stations in Natchez? I already figured we would stop in Natchez for a rest stop anyway and was looking at Walmart locations.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
Bushman512000

Gas? Rv friendly not, real tight and always full of cars..

Just to let You know a very tight Wall-Mart gas stop.No Diesel in Nat.W.M.but across the River in Vidilia La more RV friendly station at Wall-Mart and has diesel also its on the way to Faraday La..been there many times about 5miles from Mississippi River Bridge ...Bushman ...
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:32 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Yes there are a number of RV friendly gas stations in Natchez. There is a WalMart on the west side of the highway in Natchez that's pretty easy to get into and probably has the best gas prices in the area (but that changes daily). Also, there are a couple of stations just across the river in Vidalia. And there is also a WalMart station there that's easy to get into, but the prices are usually 10 cents a gallon more than in Natchez (again, that changes daily). Once you leave Ferriday, there's virtually "nothing" until you get to Jonesville. There are also a couple of gas stations there but they are more expensive. When leaving Jonesville, headed west, you'll go around a big gradual curve. From there, it's about 6 or 7 mles to the 28 cutoff. You can't miss it if you're paying attention... There will be a covered rodeo arena on the right, then about a mile to a very old African Methodist Church building that is painted white, tucked away in the vines and bushes, but very quaint and yet visible. Then about another mile to the gas station/house and the blinking light at Highway 28.

If you are into historical things, Frogmore Plantation is between Ferriday and Jonesville and is a unique place to visit. They have ample parking for big rigs and a pretty nice display of plantation life in the mid 1800's. There are slaves quarters, the plantation store, church, cotton gin, etc open to walk around and view.

Watch on your right side from Ferriday all the way to Jonesville, there's one big (and I do mean BIG) bayou that runs along the north side of 84 for almost 10 miles. As a kid, we used to drag moccasins out of there bigger than my leg. Then it was fun, now, I realize "you can't drain the swamp" Occasionally, along that stretch of highway, you'll see the carcass of one laying on the shoulder. Some are well over 6' long.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote