Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2021, 06:32 PM   #41
JRTJH
Site Team

All great advice... This is a photo of the brass drift my dad gave me when I was 14 years old, sitting on a wooden coke case, learning how to change the front bearings and races on his 1950 Chevrolet. On my 15th birthday he sold that Chevy to me for $50 and a promise that I would always do my own maintenance on it. He helped through the years and it was well after I came back from VietNam that I gave that old car back to him. When he died, he left it to my son and as far as I know, he still has it... This is the only brass drift that's ever driven races out of the hubs on that old car... As you can see, after 3 generations of use, it's still serviceable and I used it to change out the races on our Cougar last year after losing that hub/bearing in a campground.... This one's about 1/2" square and roughly 6" long. It used to be around 7", but according to Dad, I've got a heavy hammer hand as evidenced by the distorted flanged end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BRASS DRIFT 2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	33549   Click image for larger version

Name:	BRASS DRIFT1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	33550  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:34 AM   #42
cavie

YouTube is your friend.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:10 PM   #43
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdynbama View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions and advice
I’m back working 7-12 s for a while so I guess this project is gonna to be postponed for a few weeks
Thanks again
Just wanted to throw my 0.02 in since I did this to my TT this weekend. I purchased (previously) a harbor freight 20t bottle jack and a 2t jack stand, deep socket set, plus 1/2" torque wrench and extension bars. I then bought 2 tubes of red tacky grease and the bearing pusher (oriellys). I've repacked bearings for my dad by hand, but this $20-$30 tool is well worth it. I also bought the HF seal remover tool and it worked fairly well. On 2 of them it tore through the seal and a small flat screwdriver and ball peen hammer helped me to remove those. Not a difficult job, but not quick either. Get nitrile gloves (mechanic thickness), either a lot of throw away rags or blue paper towels, and a grease gun with flexible hose (for bearing packer). Out of pocket cost was higher than expected, but I now have everything needed (except seals) for 12 months from now. As previously stated, you tube is your friend. Found a video on my exact year and model #. I also love my HF 4-star foldable lug nut wrench. I used white out to paint the size of my lugs in case I'm working at night on the side of the interstate.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 04:23 PM   #44
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldon View Post
Just wanted to throw my 0.02 in since I did this to my TT this weekend. I purchased (previously) a harbor freight 20t bottle jack and a 2t jack stand, deep socket set, plus 1/2" torque wrench and extension bars. I then bought 2 tubes of red tacky grease and the bearing pusher (oriellys). I've repacked bearings for my dad by hand, but this $20-$30 tool is well worth it. I also bought the HF seal remover tool and it worked fairly well. On 2 of them it tore through the seal and a small flat screwdriver and ball peen hammer helped me to remove those. Not a difficult job, but not quick either. Get nitrile gloves (mechanic thickness), either a lot of throw away rags or blue paper towels, and a grease gun with flexible hose (for bearing packer). Out of pocket cost was higher than expected, but I now have everything needed (except seals) for 12 months from now. As previously stated, you tube is your friend. Found a video on my exact year and model #. I also love my HF 4-star foldable lug nut wrench. I used white out to paint the size of my lugs in case I'm working at night on the side of the interstate.
Mayou, I thought someone else created this. Didn't pay close enough attention. Thank you.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grease