Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
hguilford

Main Slide Carpet

I purchased a 2018 Avalanche 320RS in January. Since we are still experiencing winter in Indiana I have yet to take out my new 5th wheel so it sits in storage patiently waiting, like me. The first time I went to check on the unit I noticed the carpet adjacent to the dining table was bowed up quite a bit after I extended the slide. It wasn't until I retracted the slide that I saw what was causing this condition. The carpet was hitting the kitchen island and buckling up a few inches when the slide was fully retracted. The carpet in the main slide was very obviously cut too wide which allowed it to bunch up against the island. When I first contacted Keystone via their web page no one replied so I contacted the dealership where I purchased this trailer. I was told they were aware of this condition and that it actually existed on several different Keystone 5th wheels. They also told me they had contacted Keystone about this condition and Keystone was not concerned. They contacted Keystone on my behalf and the next day I received an email from the Keystone Retail Advisor stating the Product Manager confirmed the unit was "built as designed" and there was "no prescribed repair". They also stated since it was "built as designed" it would not be covered by the warranty. In all reality the correct answer is the carpet can be trimmed by approx 2 inches and a new binding can be applied. I went back and forth with Keystone for several days and ended up filing a BBB complaint for resolution. I have since been contacted by a Keystone Customer Service Manager and we are still in negotiations on a resolution. I hope to have this carpet issue resolved before I use the 5th wheel for the first time next month.
hguilford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:04 PM   #2
KYFamily

My 13 does this too. It buckles up against the kitchen cabinet when the slide is retracted in. I doesn't bother me as when I retract the slide out it goes back flat. Maybe yours is worse but mine has been doing it for the past 5 years with no problems.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #3
hguilford

Mine stays buckled up for an extended period. I've had the slide extended for a couple of hours and it doesn't lay flat at all which creates a tripping hazard when moving into the dining area. The carpet backing and binding are very stiff so I don't know if it will ever lay flat unless I have it trimmed.
hguilford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:32 PM   #4
KYFamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by hguilford View Post
Mine stays buckled up for an extended period. I've had the slide extended for a couple of hours and it doesn't lay flat at all which creates a tripping hazard when moving into the dining area. The carpet backing and binding are very stiff so I don't know if it will ever lay flat unless I have it trimmed.
My carpet is pretty flimsy so that's way mine probably goes flat. Hope you get it resolved. If keystone can't help maybe a good carpet store can fix it. Wouldn't think it would cost much to do.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:56 PM   #5
Frank G

2017 Laredo 325RL Yep, the slide carpet hits the Island when retracted. No big issue, it flattens out in short time. Your carpet is cold, new and stiff. Warm it up and it will lay flat. Get down on your hands and knees and look how everything is constructed, the beveled floor board and the overhang of the carpet. I believe if you shorten the carpet it will never lay flat and destroy the seal the carpet makes with the floor.

Just my opinion, form your own.
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpet, slide