Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2017, 06:17 PM   #1
barrydt102

Good Sam Extended Warranty for new Cougar 32FBS?

Hello all!

New to this forum (I posted my "hello" in the new members section).

We recently picked up our first Keystone product, a 2017 Cougar 32FBS from Camping World in Harrisburg, PA.

We spent over 4,000 on the Good Sam Platinum extended warranty, roadside assistance, interior/exterior protection, etc. Waste of money? I got them down in price, and my wife really wanted it for peace of mind because we are not too handy. I gave in, because i know I can cancel most of the warranty at anytime for a prorated refund.

Thoughts? Any other tips or suggestions (about the warranty or about the 32FBS in general)?

Thanks, all! Happy Camping!
barrydt102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

You pose a question that folks split on.

For some it's a good deal, for others it's waste of money. If you're handy with wood, electrical, tires, plumbing etc., and in good physical condition, you could probably take care of most anything that came along and would negate the necessity of buying it.

I can do all those things but chose to buy ours anyway. The body of a trailer is not like the body of a car...I'm not sure bondo and a sander is going to fix the damage For me, it's got to the point I can't get on the ground (well, I can, it's just a heck of a sight to see my trying to get up) or crawl around on a roof so it was pretty much a no brainer.

Peace of mind is there but be sure if it covers whatever it is that comes up. Be sure and read all the small print because you have to follow a set mtce. procedure on the items for the warranty to apply. For me, I have the trailer in the shop 4-5 times a year for something so I just have them do the appliance, roof etc. mtce. then I have a record.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:04 PM   #3
Canonman

First off I am NOT a fan of extended warranties/insurance. That being said I also purchased the insurance (that's what it really is) with our 2017 Cougar. Why?? Because of all the bells and whistles that the new RV's have. Auto Leveling, Large slides, Powered awning, Air conditioning etc etc. With all that could and probably will go wrong I considered $300 a year cheap insurance against any electrical, plumbing or mechanical repairs that might fail. Based on the issues we've had during the warranty I'm convinced it's money well spent at this point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4977 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	12820  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:05 AM   #4
busterbrown

I've said this before and like everyone else, it's just an opinion.

If something is going to fail, chances are it will so in the first year. This can be applied to most big ticket items that you purchase be it for the home, RV, boat, or car. RV systems and appliances will show their ugly heads during this time. Otherwise, they will wait til the day the warranty runs out. Many RV components have warranty periods longer than the 1 year bumper to tongue. So inherently, you're covered beyond that 1 year.

My belief is this. Take all the money you'll save on extended warranties and instead, invest it in a high interest yield account for 5 years. At the end of 5 years, if you plan on selling your trailer and no major fixes were required during your ownership, use that money as a very nice down payment on your new coach.

If however, you had to spend $1000 on a new AC rooftop unit during your ownership, take the $3000 you have left and use it as a down payment on your new coach. No matter the circumstances, the probability of spending MORE on your coach over 5 years for out-of-pocket repairs than spending (giving) initially to a warranty company is very small. YMMV
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:38 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I've said this before and like everyone else, it's just an opinion.

If something is going to fail, chances are it will so in the first year. This can be applied to most big ticket items that you purchase be it for the home, RV, boat, or car. RV systems and appliances will show their ugly heads during this time. Otherwise, they will wait til the day the warranty runs out. Many RV components have warranty periods longer than the 1 year bumper to tongue. So inherently, you're covered beyond that 1 year.

My belief is this. Take all the money you'll save on extended warranties and instead, invest it in a high interest yield account for 5 years. At the end of 5 years, if you plan on selling your trailer and no major fixes were required during your ownership, use that money as a very nice down payment on your new coach.

If however, you had to spend $1000 on a new AC rooftop unit during your ownership, take the $3000 you have left and use it as a down payment on your new coach. No matter the circumstances, the probability of spending MORE on your coach over 5 years for out-of-pocket repairs than spending (giving) initially to a warranty company is very small. YMMV

I need to know where this "high interest yield account" is!! I nor my 2 investment companies seem to be able to find it?? :
Old 05-30-2017, 08:06 AM   #6
Javi

Other than the market I don't know of any high interest account, but we have a trailer account that we put $50 a payday into for trailer repair. We've been doing this for years and we used some of it when we bought this trailer in late '14 as a down payment.

You could not sell me an extended warranty.

Javi
Old 05-30-2017, 08:58 AM   #7
busterbrown

Interest was inappropriate on my behalf (stupid federal reserve); I should have said high yield investment account like a canadian cannabis company.

Even in a no growth account like Javi does, you're way ahead at the end of a definitive cycle.

Three weeks ago when I took delivery of my new RAM 2500, the dealer wanted to sell me a 5 year extended service contract (warranty if you will). The finance officer was relentless with his pitch and kept questioning why I was refusing. I finally stated that "I'm cheap". The wife laughed. Somehow, that shut him up after about 1/2 dozen times of calling me out.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:23 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I agree on the vehicle. I don't purchase any kind of extended warranty on any car/truck. I did purchase an extended maintenance on a Toyota once and it turned out to be a pretty good deal - especially after I had to start paying for all of the stuff they had been doing for free.

As far as "interest", or investment for that matter, there's not much out there and I won't invest in a "cannabis" anything. Anyway, that's another thread that would be interesting.....but, back to extended warranties

Tags
cougar, warranty