Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2016, 05:22 AM   #1
Gorski

Unhappy Broken window

Hello all,

New to RVing. Purchased a 2015 Cougar Xlite 29RLI. On our first camping adventure we found a broken window after we backed into our camp spot. The window was located on the drivers side in the slide-out. It is the vent window (20x28) of which there are two, with a larger window over the top (27x57). So there are three windows in this frame-less group. There was no glass left from this vent window, so it had to happen while we were in-route. Gorilla taped a trash bag over the hole, and enjoyed the rest of our trip. Called the dealer upon our return, and found out that Keystone does not replace just one piece of glass, so the whole unit of three windows must be replaced ! Not expecting warranty, as its not Keystones fault that a rock found my window. It does seem excessive to replace all three windows when only one is broken. My cost was over $1000.00 !!
Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:30 AM   #2
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorski View Post
Hello all,

New to RVing. Purchased a 2015 Cougar Xlite 29RLI. On our first camping adventure we found a broken window after we backed into our camp spot. The window was located on the drivers side in the slide-out. It is the vent window (20x28) of which there are two, with a larger window over the top (27x57). So there are three windows in this frame-less group. There was no glass left from this vent window, so it had to happen while we were in-route. Gorilla taped a trash bag over the hole, and enjoyed the rest of our trip. Called the dealer upon our return, and found out that Keystone does not replace just one piece of glass, so the whole unit of three windows must be replaced ! Not expecting warranty, as its not Keystones fault that a rock found my window. It does seem excessive to replace all three windows when only one is broken. My cost was over $1000.00 !!

$1000 deductible on your comprehensive insurance is pretty steep.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:31 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

^^^x2 - pretty steep deductible.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Replacing the entire window is usually the "only dealership option"... That said, it sounds like you've already had the window replaced, so any advice would probably only apply to a "next time"....

Almost any mirror and glass shop can replace the broken glass without having to replace the entire window. Just remove the part that's broken, take it to them and specify you want tempered, safety glass installed. Avoid installing conventional glass because it will break into dangerous shapes if it should break again.

Alternatively, you can install Lexan or plexiglass, but the tint color wouldn't match and it would be easier to scratch. You could do that "in your driveway" for less than $20 and a couple hours of your time. Lexan panels are sold at Lowe's in various sizes for "not too much money".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #5
Gorski

Thanks for the quick reply's. I took the frame-less unit to a auto glass place. They are making a new piece of tempered glass. I will keep this as my spare
Old 06-09-2016, 10:11 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

LOL You do know that as long as you have a "spare" you'll never, ever break that glass again <sigh>

THANKS, MURPHY !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-18-2016, 05:49 AM   #7
Stanomatic

I am on a three month trip to and from Alaska. I just arrived in San Diego for a week and noticed my back drivers side window was shattered. I have a 2015 Fuzion 371. The inner window is not broken. The outer that is dark tinted, radius corners, is the one that is broken. I called one dealership and they are six weeks out for accepting any RV for repair work.

Can most glass companies repair custom RV windows? At this point I have not called anyone as it just happened and I am typing this post.

@Gorski, how did the glass turn out? Did you have an outer tinted radiused windows?

Thank you all for any tips
Stan
Stanomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 05:57 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Stanomatic,

It sounds like you have dual pane windows. If so, you'll probably not be able to repair the outer window. Usually those are vacuum sealed and/or filled with inert gas and very few "glass installers" have the equipment to repair that type of assembly.

As for replacing the glass, almost any "glass installer" can order a replacement tempered/safety glass panel. Few have them on hand as they can't be "cut to fit" but must be "molded and then tempered" to the shape required. Unless you return to the original manufacturer, you will likely have a problem matching the tint. Most OEM glass is a "special tint" that's difficult to match in "after market tints". Think repainting a fender on a 10 year old "red" sports car.

Possibly trekwood.com might be able to help you out. They might have the "window assembly parts" or a window that fits with some other glass broken and might be willing to disassemble or ship you only what you need.

Otherwise, as long as you still have the "inner glass" that's not damaged, I'd keep travelling and deal with it once you get back home and have enough time to sit while someone orders the parts, waits for delivery and installs them. You probably won't find anyone who can do a "while you wait" repair on an RV window.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #9
Gorski

Stanomatic, I have not yet received the window back from the auto glass shop. Will let you know when it happens.

2013 Ram 2500 CTD CC SB SRW 4X4 3.42
2015 Cougar Xlite 29RLI, Maxxis, Morryde wet bolts,CRE/3000 correct track, 507 TST TPMS, Dual 12V batt, Champion 3100 W inv/gen, Transfer Flow 40 gal in bed aux tank, Airlift loadlifter 5000 ultimate air bags, Airlift wireless one compressor
Old 06-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #10
bmach

Did the auto glass place say they can match the tint?
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:19 AM   #11
Stanomatic

@JRTJH Thank you for the information. I called many glass people that were open on Saturday and I have one person stopping by on Monday to take a look. If that does not work out I will probably remove as much shattered glass as I can and continue on my journey and work on the repair when I return as suggested.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:24 AM   #12
Gorski

Glass shop said no promises, but thought they would be very close on the tint.

2015 Cougar Xlite 29RLI, Maxxis, Morryde wet bolts,CRE/3000 correct track, 507 TST TPMS, Dual 12V batt, Champion 3100 W inv/gen, Transfer Flow 40 gal in bed aux tank, Airlift loadlifter 5000 ultimate air bags, Airlift wireless one compressor
Old 06-19-2016, 10:43 AM   #13
nellie1289

The top panel of my three panel window shattered on way home from dealership after purchase and they covered under warranty. Only top panel was replaced. Took four weeks to get one from keystone. Still don't know what caused it to break.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:00 AM   #14
Gorski

window

I got the repaired window back from the auto glass place today. The tint matches perfect. $172.00. I now have a spare for sale if anyone is interested

Old 07-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #15
GaryWT

So was the $1000 you deductible r was that the actual cost of the window. Was the window shattered or was it completely gone as if it fell off on its own?
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:29 PM   #16
Gorski

My deductible is 1000, the cost to replace the unit of three windows at the dealer was 1001.20. I took the broken frame-less unit of three windows to a auto glass shop and after a month of waiting got it back. It looks like new and it cost 172.00 to have the small piece of glass made and installed. I now have a spare set of windows.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:34 AM   #17
Stanomatic

I wish I had a more successful story. I am in the middle of my three month trip to Alaska and my back drivers side window of the garage shattered, most likely from a rock on the gravel road I was on. It was the emergency window that you can remove. BTW, not in Alaska but it was near Grand Canyon.

Anyway, I had this Mobile RV company say no problem to fix the glass. I gave him the frame and he said he would have it before I left on Friday. He called and said the window broke during the delivery and they need to order it again. The window was $225 and shipping was $145 for a total of $370.

I opened the box and started to install the widows and noticed it had the wrong dimensions. The sides were short and the top part was too long. At this point I am going to cut my losses and wait until I return home and work locally with a window shop. I can't afford shipping to send/receive the window again.

Had it worked out, the window tint DID match. I was greatly saddened that either the mobile repair guy could not measure correctly or his glass company could not follow directions. I worked precision sheet metal for four years and held tight tolerances when working with sheet metal. I thought this was going to be a no brainer.