Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2016, 11:10 PM   #21
esmoglo

Yea for now I will hold off until the end of March because we have spring break trip planned with the kids. Hopefully this can be repaired quickly so there are no delays due to the summer trips we have planned. I will start calling local South Florida Keystone dealers this way I can forecast what its going to take in terms of time.
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #22
esmoglo

Dropped off the Passport today for the crack in the slide on a positive note at least we have gotten 12 nights of camping since owning this travel trailer. I’m also glad that I waited until after spring break because a couple of additional things also need attention such as valance that was coming off, AC stopped working, and one of the kitchen cabinets the catch is not holding couple that with the slide I’m optimistic you can get done in a timely fashion

While speaking with the service writer that took the unit in today the advised that there’s a possibility they may not be able to fix the crack in the slide at this location. Keeping in mind this is an approved Keystone repair facility that’s why I took it there. There may very well be a situation where the unit may need to be transported 300 miles away from my home for the crack in the slide repair.

I guess my question is for those of you who have had experience with this is who covers these transportation fees since Keystone cannot adequately provide repair service at one of their approved repair providers? I mean transportation costs 300 miles one way 300 miles back home plus the unit sitting for several months for repair that I’m paying on mind you some compensation should be expected wouldn’t you think?

Sad part of this is his ever since the recession the RV industry in regards to building and selling units has steadily grown however the repair facilities and infrastructure required hasn’t caught up. Point is whether you own a $20,000 travel trailer or a one million-dollar coach your service isn’t going to be that much better after the sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (5)ADJ.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	10248  
Old 04-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #23
Festus2
Site Team

You might want to consider looking into a fg repair at a nearby marine service center - if there is one close to you. Many of these facilities are used to doing fiberglass and gel coat repairs on boats and probably would do as good as or better job than an "authorized RV repair center".
Old 04-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #24
esmoglo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
You might want to consider looking into a fg repair at a nearby marine service center - if there is one close to you. Many of these facilities are used to doing fiberglass and gel coat repairs on boats and probably would do as good as or better job than an "authorized RV repair center".
Well if Keystone wan't to pay for that I am fine with it still not sure what they are going to come up with in terms of a repair.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #25
dcg9381

I agree, I'd rather have a marine place doing gelcoat or fiberglass repairs.
The only issue with that is that Keystone seems to take a pay-once and done stance.. Meaning if the repair facility doesn't do it right, you have to take it up with that facility....

Sorry you're having this issue... Let us know how you're able to get it sorted.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

As Festus said, there probably is a fiberglass or boat repair facility local to you. The issue is whether or not Keystone will "spring for the repairs" locally. If they won't, then you may be faced with the "lesser of two costs": Paying for transportation at $1.60 a mile x 1200 miles (or towing it there with your vehicle). That would be about $2000 in transportation. The owner's manual explanation of warranty exclusions provides that (normally) any transportation expense is the owner's responsibility, so don't be surprised if the costs aren't covered by Keystone.

Alternatively, if a local boat repair facility can repair it and gives you an estimate of, say, $500, then it's feasible that "not using the warranty" may be cheaper for you than insisting that Keystone repair your trailer.

Then, on top of all of that, you still have to consider how long you'll be "out of your trailer" while it sits, waiting for repair.

It may be cheaper and faster to just have it repaired locally at your expense.

Unfortunately, it's something you'll need to consider, if the dealership you're using can't repair it and wants to transport it as you indicated.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #27
CaptnJohn

I know Heartland and Forest River owners that have talked directly to the factory warranty department. Heartland sent a mobile tech to a unit where I snowbird. Forest River has a national rally every year and bring techs to fix anything, warranty or not. Anything they cannot fix onsite they ask to be brought to the factory. Both have sent parts for owners to complete repairs themselves. FR does seem to have more and some large repairs claimed than other builders. FR reps are on their owners site to answer questions as well.

Thankfully, after 29 days in my new Cougar only one problem Atwood sent a tech to my snowbird site to fix. My dealer jumped on a couple minor things I planned on taking care of myself while the camper was in to add slide toppers. The GM and service manager at my dealer have told me they have few problems with Keystone getting warranty items approved. I hope not to need to find out but thinking of FR on my next upgrade.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:52 AM   #28
esmoglo

Well at this point it’s a waiting game really let’s see what they say. There is a Keystone Dealer in Key Largo Florida that’s also sells boats bet they have good techs that can repair the crack if this dealer cannot. Seems like every time I take the camper out something falls off cabinet door fell off on one trip, valance on the window fell off, AC vet cover fell off, handle to the vent fell off, cabinet door keeps flying open, guess this is normal for things to fall off on the interior?
Old 04-12-2016, 04:21 AM   #29
zuley

There has been mention of taking the unit to a marine facility for the repair. In reality most quality automotive body shops could also handle a repair of that nature as well.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:27 AM   #30
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmoglo View Post
Well at this point it’s a waiting game really let’s see what they say. There is a Keystone Dealer in Key Largo Florida that’s also sells boats bet they have good techs that can repair the crack if this dealer cannot. Seems like every time I take the camper out something falls off cabinet door fell off on one trip, valance on the window fell off, AC vet cover fell off, handle to the vent fell off, cabinet door keeps flying open, guess this is normal for things to fall off on the interior?
I had a few screws loosen up on doors on first few trips. I went through and tightened all of the screws on the inside. I found a few more loose.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #31
Tbos

Quote:

I've had nothing fall off yet. Knock on wood. I have tightened a loose screw or two.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:59 PM   #32
dcg9381

I've had cabinet problems also, but they're solved relatively easily - by installing slightly better cabinet catches...
Old 04-14-2016, 08:31 AM   #33
esmoglo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
I've had cabinet problems also, but they're solved relatively easily - by installing slightly better cabinet catches...
Good idea. No word from the dealership since Monday guess this is a waiting game.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:10 PM   #34
dcg9381

Quote:
Good idea. No word from the dealership since Monday guess this is a waiting game.
Mine has been in for 3 weeks now without any feedback. I wonder how long they'd actually take to make a phone call? :-)
Old 04-15-2016, 08:31 PM   #35
Tbos

Quote:
Mine has been in for 3 weeks now without any feedback. I wonder how long they'd actually take to make a phone call? :-)

If the dealer has looked at it they should have already called Keystone. Once my dealer did that keystone responded in a day or two. The dealer was waiting to hear back. I called Keystone and they were waiting for the dealer. I relayed the message and the work was done in a couple days. Hope it goes well.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:49 AM   #36
dcg9381

In regard to my local dealer:
You set an appointment 45-60 days out.
The appointment is their best guess of when they'll have availability to look at your issue(s). Pretty sure that no one is capable of getting that exactly right.. When I brought it in (on my appointment date) - they told me they were busy (no ETA). This irks me a bit, as I don't like the RV to sit outside - I'd rather bring it in when they have a bay open. But I understand why they can't hold bays on RVs that may or may not show up on time.

I've called Keystone with prior warranty work and inquired about the status of dealer repair orders. Last time I was told that any warranty work / repair order was the "property of the dealer" and they couldn't help me, which certainly isn't consistent with what other people have posted... I didn't push it.

It's not a big deal to call the dealer and check on status. It's a reflection on the dealer, not on Keystone...

My dealer has the best (repair) reputation of any dealer in 150 miles or so. That's a large part of why I purchased from them. In the grand scheme of things, as long as the repairs are right, I can deal with the lack of communication and time to repair.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:52 PM   #37
CaptnJohn

Quote:
In regard to my local dealer:
You set an appointment 45-60 days out.
The appointment is their best guess of when they'll have availability to look at your issue(s). Pretty sure that no one is capable of getting that exactly right.. When I brought it in (on my appointment date) - they told me they were busy (no ETA). This irks me a bit, as I don't like the RV to sit outside - I'd rather bring it in when they have a bay open. But I understand why they can't hold bays on RVs that may or may not show up on time.

I've called Keystone with prior warranty work and inquired about the status of dealer repair orders. Last time I was told that any warranty work / repair order was the "property of the dealer" and they couldn't help me, which certainly isn't consistent with what other people have posted... I didn't push it.

It's not a big deal to call the dealer and check on status. It's a reflection on the dealer, not on Keystone...

My dealer has the best (repair) reputation of any dealer in 150 miles or so. That's a large part of why I purchased from them. In the grand scheme of things, as long as the repairs are right, I can deal with the lack of communication and time to repair.

I have bought several coaches from my dealer and know the service mgr and GM at that level. I tell them if time is important or not and we work together on that. In your case I'd consider the saying ~~~ the squeaky wheel gets the grease and call every few days.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:50 AM   #38
esmoglo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Yes very true I will be passing bye today just to see what they have come up with. Its now over a week with no update figured they would have come up with something by now..
Old 04-20-2016, 04:48 AM   #39
esmoglo

Passed by the dealership yesterday just to see what was going on I figure it’s better to do face-to-face than a phone call. The service writer I’m dealing with advised an email was sent to Keystone on April 11 and he has yet to receive any response.

Called Keystone customer support yesterday and they advised they received nothing from the dealership because they did not get a pre-authorization just to submit the paperwork regarding the repairs that are needed? Yes, I know this sounds confusing but apparently this is the norm. The Keystone representative on the phone asked me what the issues were and I told her crack in the slide, air-conditioning stop working, valances falling off the wall and one of the cabinets needs a new latch, she proceeded to document everything that’s tracked by the last eight numbers of the vehicle identification number in keystones system.

My service writer said call them tomorrow just to do additional follow-up I’ll wait until about 4 PM today to find out what’s going on. In the meantime, believe it or not I’m looking at a new RV again even though this one is not even ready to use or sell until it’s fixed decisions decisions….
Old 04-20-2016, 05:09 AM   #40
Tbos

2016 Keystone Crack on slide wall...:(

Quote:
Passed by the dealership yesterday just to see what was going on I figure it’s better to do face-to-face than a phone call. The service writer I’m dealing with advised an email was sent to Keystone on April 11 and he has yet to receive any response.

Called Keystone customer support yesterday and they advised they received nothing from the dealership because they did not get a pre-authorization just to submit the paperwork regarding the repairs that are needed? Yes, I know this sounds confusing but apparently this is the norm. The Keystone representative on the phone asked me what the issues were and I told her crack in the slide, air-conditioning stop working, valances falling off the wall and one of the cabinets needs a new latch, she proceeded to document everything that’s tracked by the last eight numbers of the vehicle identification number in keystones system.

My service writer said call them tomorrow just to do additional follow-up I’ll wait until about 4 PM today to find out what’s going on. In the meantime, believe it or not I’m looking at a new RV again even though this one is not even ready to use or sell until it’s fixed decisions decisions….

You are experiencing a situation similar to mine where the dealer and Keystone were not communicating. They may have been emailing but not communicating. It's amazing what happens when people talk and take notes. Good luck.