Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2016, 03:27 PM   #21
CaptnJohn

No one intentionally builds a bad coach in any price range. HOWEVER, I know I've been very fortunate in my purchases compared to many others ~~ close to saying most others. Made and installed by people will have problems at times ~ naturally and understood. BUT some coaches are delivered with problems that never should have left the factory and most should be caught by the dealer staff before going on the lot! Some things will always slip through but easily seen and tested items never should.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:49 PM   #22
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by SADLY View Post
They ALL do it accidentally.... On a consistent basis... LOL
I think that's a good point. We point to a PDI inspection sheet that every buyer "should" do prior to delivery, it'd be wonderful if a manufacturer would go through the same thing.

Thing is, that adds probably 3-4 hours of labor to the process and even more when you consider that *most* (dare I say it) of those inspections WILL uncover something - so you're probably looking at a good 8-10 hours of labor that you get to push off onto a dealer.

Rather, they're pushed out the door, hopefully with no known major defects and it's the dealers responsibility sort out the minor issues. Pretty sure that my local dealer powers them up long enough to expand the slides and doesn't do much else with 'em... Until they sell.. Or until an owner gets to PDI them.

I've been trying to decide who builds a better quality out the door RV. And honestly, I thought it was Momentum, but those units have the same sort of shake down things going on. Components are mostly the same. I can't imagine that they're paying the line staff much more.

The difference seems to largely be factory direct support and perhaps "more" willingness to make things right. Is that worth 15-20% more? I'm undecided...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #23
chuckster57
Site Team

Momentum is built by Grand Designs.

Pretty much all manufacturers use the same components, only difference is where it's installed on the coach.

Every dealership I have worked at does a PDI, and yes more often than not problems/defects are discovered and fixed. But keep in mind a human is doing it and can miss small things in the allotted time to complete the PDI.

Right or wrong, dealerships don't all do the same "depth" of PDI. Couple that with the fact that getting paid for warranty work is an uphill battle, I can tell you from an insiders view that there are dealers that will "ship it" and see if the customer finds it.

That is wrong in my book, and one of the main reasons I returned to work for my present employer.

So, I will repeat myself again, the issues the OP are experiencing are a dealership issue, not a manufacturer issue.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:48 PM   #24
CaptnJohn

SOME dealers really do check them over before the sale, both new and used units. I traded my last one in and when returned to buy something for the new 5er a tech came up to me and said he prepped my coach after trade in and not only found nothing wrong but it was clean. He did the PDI for the buyer and told them it was the best taken care of he had seen. Nothing was found after 3 hours of PDI on the new 5er and only 1 surfaced that could/should have been caught before leaving the dealership. It was not visible but noticed when used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Momentum is built by Grand Designs.

Pretty much all manufacturers use the same components, only difference is where it's installed on the coach.

Every dealership I have worked at does a PDI, and yes more often than not problems/defects are discovered and fixed. But keep in mind a human is doing it and can miss small things in the allotted time to complete the PDI.

Right or wrong, dealerships don't all do the same "depth" of PDI. Couple that with the fact that getting paid for warranty work is an uphill battle, I can tell you from an insiders view that there are dealers that will "ship it" and see if the customer finds it.

That is wrong in my book, and one of the main reasons I returned to work for my present employer.

So, I will repeat myself again, the issues the OP are experiencing are a dealership issue, not a manufacturer issue.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 02-05-2016, 08:04 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
SOME dealers really do check them over before the sale, both new and used units. I traded my last one in and when returned to buy something for the new 5er a tech came up to me and said he prepped my coach after trade in and not only found nothing wrong but it was clean. He did the PDI for the buyer and told them it was the best taken care of he had seen. Nothing was found after 3 hours of PDI on the new 5er and only 1 surfaced that could/should have been caught before leaving the dealership. It was not visible but noticed when used.
Responsible dealerships do just what you indicate. Unfortunately, there are some dealerships that simply don't. They, I believe, are the ones that most of the "horror stories" or "persistent complaints" come from. We've had reports from "angry purchasers" about Keystone's negligence, when more times than not, it's the dealership completely falling on their face when it comes to doing what is expected "before the sale".... Here's some examples:

1) My refrigerator wasn't working. Fix: Plugged it in.
2) My air conditioner wouldn't run. Fix: Attached thermostat wires inside the A/C.
3) Sink drain leaks. Fix: connected the sink drain, the plumbing was not connected.
4) No hot water. Fix: Turned the winterization valve to get water into the W/H, installed the anode rod and filled the water heater.
5) Awning would not extend. Fix: Connected wires to back of switch at control panel.
6) Kitchen flooded when I turned on the water pump. Fix: Connected the hot AND cold water supply lines to the faucet. Both were not connected.
7) No hot water at kitchen sink. Fix: Repaired kinked supply line.
8) No brakes. Fix: Wiring at all 4 wheels was not connected.
9) Microwave won't work. Fix: Removed from mount and plugged it in.

The list goes on and on. Every one of these is a "red flag" and begs the question: Did the dealer even unlock the door before delivery?" They all "should have" been identified by and corrected by the dealer BEFORE delivery. It speaks volumes when a new member posts here that he has problems like these and his dealer says, "Keystone won't approve the repair." They are angry and warn us, who already own Keystone products, that we should not buy a Keystone because they won't stand behind their product. Really ??? Their dealership fails them, they blame Keystone and tell us we're "somehow at fault" because we bought defective products from an irresponsible company (which just happens to be the biggest manufacturer of RV's in America) ???

I think (just my opinion) that there are issues at the factory, issues at the dealership and yes, issues with the consumer. When I read a "first time post" about how terrible Keystone is, 9 times out of 10, as I get deeper into the complaint, it becomes obvious that the dealership didn't do a PDI, or just a superficial "plug it in and turn on the TV, show the new owner the bells and whistles PDI" and sent him on his way.

There are quality dealerships, places where the customer's satisfaction is "the most important aspect" of the business. I've seldom read about issues with these dealerships and I think that's what drives the "over 90% satisfaction rate" on the "ancient poll" about Keystone satisfaction that was done on this forum back in 2011-2012. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...highlight=poll

Sure, Keystone builds trailers with problems. In the above list of issues, the problem in some situations, "originated" with Keystone (on the assembly line), while others are a direct result of the dealership not servicing the unit before delivery. Every manufacturer has "issues" with less than perfection. The "rub" (I think) comes from a dealer "short-cutting" the repair or a customer wanting "something fixed now" which leads to a "bandaid fix" rather than fixing it correctly. In many of those situations, Keystone isn't even involved, yet "they're the bad guy" because their name is on the trailer..... Too often, we forget there's another name on it, usually under a tail light and/or by the main door. It's the dealer's logo. In almost every situation, they have a bigger stake in the customer's continued satisfaction than Keystone ever will......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:30 AM   #26
BOWWOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I don't think Chuckster57 is "implying that anyone is at fault", nor do I see anywhere that he refers to anything produced by the "manufacturer" is a "POS"... He didn't use that term at all, so, no he didn't imply anything of the sort... Rather he is acknowledging that anyone can make a mistake. Manufacturers are not immune from that "human frailty" any more than the rest of us. It's "good business practice" for the dealer" to check the RV fully and identify any problem areas, contact the manufacturer and determine an acceptable repair solution. Sometimes, a dealer will "take the easy way out" and wait until the new owner "finds the mistakes" and then blame Keystone rather than acknowledge that they failed to even check the basic utilities before delivery... That's not a "responsible way to do business", at least not from my vantage point.

What is unfortunate about the OP's situation is the 9 months that he's been "jerked around" by the dealer. Yes, I say "dealer" because a "responsible dealership would have "taken the bull by the horns" and provided solutions for their customer rather than "slow leak" the problems while blaming "big bad Keystone".... Especially when you look at just how "inexpensive and fast" repairs would have been to the identified problems the OP illustrated. At most, all combined, they are less than a half day's work for a competent RV tech. So, to have "waited 9 months without resolution" doesn't reflect on Keystone nearly as much as it does on the dealership.....

I am in agreement with Chuckster, I've seen problems with $9000 entry level "junk" and I've seen problems with "million dollar diesel pushers". In fact, if you've ever watched the RV shows on TV, you've probably seen the "quick fixes" they do to those 3/4 million dollar "busses" so the new owner doesn't find the broken cabinet door or the scratched shower wall or the chipped granite counter... Unfortunately, that silicone, or furniture crayon "falls away" after a few months and the new owner is left with a chipped counter, often wondering, "How'd that happen???" It often seems the objective is: Get the money and run!!!

Bottom line, if it's made by humans, chances are that before it's all finished, there will be an error "somewhere"........... Too bad we all can't be perfect

Remember though, we've only read one side of a "two sided situation"... I'm sure that if the dealership and Keystone were as vocal as the OP, we'd hear another version, one that probably doesn't fall "perfectly into place".....
I think I get it now. The dealer didn't build the OP's unit, but sooner or later that lipstick they put on that pig will come off. Your right "Junk" is a better term than POS that I referred to for the manufacturers product. I think they both accidently try to take the money and run. But, being humans we don't care,we still buy it. I am just thinking that the manufacturer should do a better job of quality control for the units leaving their facility. "Big Bad Keystone should find their own solutions in house instead of pushing that burden onto the dealers. Maybe the gov dept that overseas the regulations and guidelines are humans too. which would make it a "3 sided situation" of non perfection. I put down 55k for a 5ver and 55k for a TV, never had one issue with the TV that warranted taking it back to the dealer and it did most of the work between the two. The poor extended warranty company took a huge hit on my 5ver because neither Keystone or the dealer would step up to fix problems most commonly complained about here on this forum. Again this just in my opinion.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #27
Ken / Claudia

As a consumer do what ever you believe is right when spending your money.
What I really do not understand is some posts say they had to leave their RV at the dealer for months and could not use it over non safety related stuff. Yes, with the current trailer I found several things needing fixed/replaced during the PDI. We had a work order written and took the trailer. When the parts came in we got a appointment. Between that time I found some issues after the first use and informed them. I was lucky I guess they fixed them in 3 days.
I would not the RV at the dealer for weeks or months awaiting parts. Take it out and use it. Again unless it is a safety issue.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:26 PM   #28
dcg9381

Ken / Claudia,
I can tell you that it's difficult to get a dealer (in my experience) to put a claim in on an issue they haven't seen.. Even if you provide photos. That kinda makes sense as they likely need to write up how they think it happened. Last cabinet door I had come off, I took photos of. They still wouldn't put the claim in. I had to bring the cabinet door up there to them. Why a photo won't work, I dunno.. Maybe it's to make sure they get the right part?

My dealer asks that I bring it in for all warranty things. Including dead LEDs. If I was suspicious, I might think that they do that to get out of some of the work, as I'm not going to drive the darn thing 30 miles to get a set of LEDs fixed.. Costs me more in fuel.

Once there, it'll take a few days to get to it, communicate the warranty claim, wait for an approval, find the parts, get the parts in the warehouse, then arrange shipping, wait for delivery, and then get the RV back in for work. Seems to make any repair where a part is required from Keystone a multi-week deal at best.

You're right, you could tow it in, get the claim done, tow it back out, wait for a "slot" in service... That would probably work.. Takes a lot more of my non-retired time that way.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:16 PM   #29
CaptnJohn

The dealer where I purchased my last 2 units has a PDI charge to cover before delivery and before purchase inspection costs. Many complain about that cost but it seems well worth it. Between the 2 figure 8 - 10 hours which may or may not include minor repairs or cleaning. I saw my Cougar when opened the 1st time as it was just delivered and it was clean BUT hear of another builder that sends them in a sad state from buyers cleaning months after purchase. Sure Keystone could do better in some instances and many dealers could too, but there are a lot worse out there. Where both need a lot of change is with the large jobs under warranty and timeliness on nearly all warranty claims. I've been fortunate with my purchases ~~ wish every unit arrived like all mine have.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 02-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #30
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
The dealer where I purchased my last 2 units has a PDI charge to cover before delivery and before purchase inspection costs. Many complain about that cost but it seems well worth it. Between the 2 figure 8 - 10 hours which may or may not include minor repairs or cleaning. I saw my Cougar when opened the 1st time as it was just delivered and it was clean BUT hear of another builder that sends them in a sad state from buyers cleaning months after purchase. Sure Keystone could do better in some instances and many dealers could too, but there are a lot worse out there. Where both need a lot of change is with the large jobs under warranty and timeliness on nearly all warranty claims. I've been fortunate with my purchases ~~ wish every unit arrived like all mine have.
Just a note. ... Keystone is paying that dealer to do a PDI, so he is doubling down on your money.

Another note.... auto dealers are also paid for PDI by the manufacturer.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:26 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Well, I've followed this post but refrained from responding because it is seemingly impossible to deflect anyone intent on ripping Keystone from doing so...regardless of where the blame resides.

I have had a myriad of problems with my trailer, BUT, most could not have been discovered on either the dealer or my PDI. They manifested themselves further into my ownership, and yes, most are manufacturing defects. Keystone fixed most and I had to fix some myself. I am not tearing up Keystone about it....they ALL (manufacturers) have issues. The unit I bought was head and shoulders above most I looked at. Whether it's daylight around slides, wood dust where the drawers don't fit, doors that are crooked, loose trim, handles that fall off, etc. etc.....oh wait, that was on the hundreds of units we chose NOT to buy (not Keystone).

The critical factor, as has been said many times, is the dealer. Before I bought my unit the owner of the dealership advised me that they took great care in delivering me a unit that I, and they, would be proud of.....and they did a super job. They gave me the checklist they had completed with faults found and we then proceeded to go thru the PDI from this forum and spent 3-4 more hours going thru stuff. I had the lead tech that did the original PDI. They were proud of their work, proud of the unit they were selling me and wanted to show it off. That is not normal it appears....and no, there we no "charges" or implication of them in any way for the PDIs. I even took a video of the walk through.

The next problem is the buyer. They expect to look around, find something that looks cool, sign a contract like buying a Lexus, pick it up and go have fun...no issues whatsoever (like buying a Lexus). That is not the RV world. Every manufacturer sends their units out expecting that the dealer is going to "clean up". Some dealers do, some don't. The failure of the buyer to understand this process by not doing due diligence is not the manufacturer's fault. Everyone loves to point the finger at "someone" for things gone wrong and many, if not most, refuse to accept ownership of failures of their own. Between the dealer and owners you can pinpoint about 80% of the "can you believe they did that" moments owners scream about.

Comparing buying an RV to a car, truck or house just isn't real life. Why? I don't know; that's just the way it is and what we accept. In doing that, we, as buyers, have to step up and take the steps required to make sure our purchase turns out to be what we wanted it to be.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:52 PM   #32
Ken / Claudia

I understand taking the RV into the dealer. As I did they photo'ed the problems wrote it up in an hour or so and I left with the RV so, I could use it until the fix's were approved and parts came in. Better in my driveway than at the dealers lot. Yea it cost me more time and trips but, like I said I got to use it. Or, I could have let it sit at the dealers lot for 3 weeks. I just cannot see leaving it there and say it sat there for 9 months out of the year waiting for parts and repairs. Again only if the problems where safety issues.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:16 AM   #33
x96mnn

To the OP, post who your dealer is, help others avoid a poor dealer!

Why would Keystone let a rig go out with a leaking toilet? They are not going to check for that at the factory! Why? They pay the dealer to do that when they take delivery!

The industry has two problems in my humble opinion which they do own responsibility for!

1: the delivery method is flawed in a sense that most of our units were hauled 1000+ miles outside their manufacturing specifications. These units are hauled in a mad dash format at 80+ mph regardless of condition and roads. This the items falling off, cracked and broken when they arrive.

2: Factory pays the dealer to do a complete inspection of the unit to look for damage. This is the major quality and in some cases only check point the manufacturer has. If done properly issue 1 would not be as large of a problem, although still a problem as damage is being done you can't see in a PDI. Many dealers do not do it, plus they charge the user for a PDI that they agin do nothing for.

Manufacturer knows this is going on, it is easier to turn a blind eye to it then fix it. I do not feel the blame the guys get who are building them is as warranted. Not saying there is not any issues there but do not feel they are the primary issue.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #34
chuckster57
Site Team

I would like to clear up a misconception. dealerships DO NOT get paid by the factory for a PDI. The only maker that we currently get paid for a PDI is Tiffen motor homes and then only on a direct factory delivery.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:57 AM   #35
x96mnn

Quote:
I would like to clear up a misconception. dealerships DO NOT get paid by the factory for a PDI. The only maker that we currently get paid for a PDI is Tiffen motor homes and then only on a direct factory delivery.
Chuck,

I cannot confirm if what I am told is fact or not, I do not work in the business! I did spend a flight from jfk to Toronto with a Forrest River rep who stated they provided a rebate to the dealer between $800 and $1200 US for a complete PDI. When I bought my Keystone product they had me sign a form that listed the PDI and what had been check, they stated they provide that to Keystone so they can be reimbursed for the PDI.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #36
Javi

Quote:
I guess things change... We were paid 8 hours for make ready of every new trailer sold, plus a hold back for sales volume.

Even if not paid for PDI in todays world, it is the seller's responsibility to make the trailer ready for the customer by inspecting and repairing anything that is not in working order and delivering a NEW trailer in New condition with everything in working order..

If a dealer want to cut corners, ignore problems and deliver product in less than complete working order then they do not need to be in the business.... Manufacturers used to police dealers and weed out those who underperformed... I guess that pretty much went down the tubes with the boom in sales...

But now that the oilfield has tanked and the economy is throttling spending maybe the manufacturers will get back on track as dealers get stuck with thousands of trailers..
Old 02-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #37
chuckster57
Site Team

I did talk to our warranty person this morning before posting to confirm. He did say that Keystone does not pay for a PDI, but will pay for any repairs found during the PDI, IF we can prove the defect is on the factory.

when units are delivered from the factory, they are inspected for any cosmetic and obvious mechanical issues. these issues are documented on the DAF (dealer acceptance form) and a copy is sent to the factory. At that point depending on the dealer the PDI is performed before the customer takes delivery. Some do them before they hit the sales lot, others after they are sold. The PDI is commonly part of the sales contract, and that's where the dealer can do right or wrong by the customer, I have worked at both ends of the spectrum.

Javi: yes times have changed and they are still changing. It's getting more and more difficult to prove factory defect vs. "lot rot" or customer damage. And if an issue isn't noted on the DAF and shows up during the PDI, it's again a battle to prove it came from the factory that way.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:23 PM   #38
mark1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
good luck...

as a note.... everything except the carpet is a dealer PDI issue... Thor, and nearly everyone else pay their dealers to inspect and repair these items before the sale to the end user... Blame the dealer... probably for the pop rivets too..
Again, I am a dealer and this is incorrect. NO factory pays the dealer for PDI.
mark1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:26 PM   #39
mark1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96mnn View Post
Chuck,

I cannot confirm if what I am told is fact or not, I do not work in the business! I did spend a flight from jfk to Toronto with a Forrest River rep who stated they provided a rebate to the dealer between $800 and $1200 US for a complete PDI. When I bought my Keystone product they had me sign a form that listed the PDI and what had been check, they stated they provide that to Keystone so they can be reimbursed for the PDI.
That is no true. I sell Keystone, Forest River and several other company's RV's and none of them pay for the PDI in any shape or form. There is no rebate. The dealer pays the pdi expense which really means the retail owner pays it in their final out the door price.
mark1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:10 PM   #40
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1228 View Post
That is no true. I sell Keystone, Forest River and several other company's RV's and none of them pay for the PDI in any shape or form. There is no rebate. The dealer pays the pdi expense which really means the retail owner pays it in their final out the door price.
As others have stated, my dealer told me he has a "fund supplied by Keystone" that he uses to get the trailer ready for sale. Whether that is true or not, I have never audited his books and don't imagine he would allow that, even if I wanted "proof"..... Honestly, what difference would it make?

Really, when you get right down to the "bottom line," the customer pays the PDI charges whether or not Keystone reimburses the dealer. Either way, whether "Keystone says they foot the bill" or "the dealer says he foots the bill" in the end, it's the buyer that "foots the bill"... Whether it's listed as a separate line item and "charged to the buyer" or if it's not even discussed (and doesn't appear on the bill of sale), neither Keystone nor the dealer is going to "give" the customer anything. If there's a "gift" involved, somewhere in the exchange of money, the expense of that "gift" goes from the buyer to the dealer, it doesn't much matter whether it's listed as a line item or is omitted from the sales contract, it's accounted for "somewhere" .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote