Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
captbozy

2016 Passport. 2770 RB dinette. Power cord

The first time I used my dinette as a bed the trim that holds the table top collasped. I am 250 lbs. Investigation revealed that Keystone used 3 very thin staples to hold the trim to the base. I repaired myself with screws. Last weekend my father sat to eat,when he got up the outside paneling at the cushion level came loose. I will repair myself to dodge the hassle of warranty process. I am now concerned that this will continue with the rest of the camper. Warning the outside exhaust for the furnace is directly under the power cord. When the cord is deployed it hangs in front of the exhaust. If left there it will be melted.
Why do they have to cut so many corners?
captbozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Sorry your having issues, but if it makes you feel any better Keystone isn't the only RV maker that seems to employ designers/engineers that appear to have no clue. Shore cords above furnace vents seem to becoming more common from what I see, and I'm beginning to think "he who uses the least amount of staples wins".

Try working on them for a month if you want real frustration.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
captbozy

Shore cord

Any recommendations on the shore cord issue? I was thinking of a plastic hook to the side. A guard over the furnace exhaust would have to be to long to be effective.
captbozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:12 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

A hook or bungy cord would probably work good. Maybe a short "hood" that directed the airflow lower might work too.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:35 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Finding issues with your new trailer is frustrating to be sure. Whether it's staples, paneling, placement of the cord or furnace venting issues, they all should have been thought out better during construction, not piece-mealed after delivery. Good luck with your repairs and you're probably better off repairing the "little problems" yourself rather than spending the time and money to drag it back to the dealership.

As for the furnace vent/power cable issue. There are several types of "self adhering clips/hooks that might hold it out of the way as would a bungee cord attached to a window or other location. I would urge you to think through any type of hood or deflector you might devise. Remember that the combustion air intake is adjacent to the exhaust. If you do install a hood and deflect the exhaust into the intake, you could change the oxygen content and have burner problems. It may not happen, but certainly something to think about if you start building additions to the exhaust fitting.

Good Luck !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:46 PM   #6
GaryWT

I think I would go with some type of command hook or the like off to the side a little which should do the trick.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinette, passport, power cord