Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2015, 06:45 AM   #21
willy3805

So let me get this straight ...... you knew when you bought this keystone product there was a ONE year warranty. They have fixed your issues under warranty and I'm guessing you have been happy with the work that has been done. And u still have warranty left until June and u want them to extend it for what reason because u live in a cold area and u can't use it give me a break . Keystone fixed your issues under warranty period. Common sense isn't so common anymore
2013 Lund 2075 prov 300 mercury verado
Gone fishing
willy3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:53 AM   #22
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Maybe I'm reading Keystone's reps letter wrong??? The unit is under warranty until June 2016. Keystone RV will not extend a warranty or review for a warranty extension unless it has expired I may be wrong but I interpret this as ......" Why don't we wait and see if all your problems are corrected under your present warranty and then if they are not we will consider an extension?" The main thing is to have all defects documented by the dealer and reported to Keystone BEFORE the one year is up. (IN WRITING) Phone calls don't count for much. Bad-mouthing a company for not making good on a warranty that they still have six months to make good on .... doesn't make sense to me. JM2¢, Hank
Keystone and other manufactures would love not to offer a warranty at all if they could get away with it. There is little to no chance of them extending it after it has expired. Could you imagine what might crop up after the 12 month initial warranty has expired? They want to be on the hook for as little time as possible.

On the other hand Toyota and Chevrolet in the last year has sent me notices letting me know they are extending my warrany on parts that are failing at a higher than expected rate for another couple years once the original warranty has expired.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #23
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw342 View Post

On the other hand Toyota and Chevrolet in the last year has sent me notices letting me know they are extending my warrany on parts that are failing at a higher than expected rate for another couple years once the original warranty has expired.
I wonder if the threat of government fines or pending law suits has anything to do with that ..... or they can not get replacement parts at this time that will not fail also.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #24
Javi

I reckon y'all are missing the point in the original posters statement. Keystone did not say they would not extend his warranty, they said they would not extend the warranty while it was still in force. That doesn't mean that they won't extended it once the initial period has ended.

Sounds like much to do about nothing. Wait to start the rant, until there is actually something to rant about.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:02 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw342 View Post
Keystone and other manufactures would love not to offer a warranty at all if they could get away with it. There is little to no chance of them extending it after it has expired. Could you imagine what might crop up after the 12 month initial warranty has expired? They want to be on the hook for as little time as possible.

Toyota as fined 1.2 Billion and GM was fined/is facing 900 Million in penalties related to concealing safety defects in their automobiles. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/17/bu...fect.html?_r=0

These fines don't include the "industry wide" TAKATA airbag recall, which has the potential to disrupt profits in the automobile industry for years to come.

Any future recall would have to include ALL vehicles with the identified deficient part. That's a 100% changeout of questionable components, a very expensive operation.

It looks like "damage control" and "a cheap way out" to send a letter offering a 1 year extension of warranty rather than recall the defective vehicles.

Extending the warranty can be camouflaged as a "good will offer" or "customer concern" when in actuality it's a "back door approach" that saves the company vast amounts of profits through only having to replace failed components for the next year. Consider it "smart business" in avoiding punitive fines while appearing to be concerned with protecting the customer's investment.

In reality, it's a way to avoid facing even greater criticism for not recalling the defective components in 100% of the manufactured vehicles.

So while it may appear "on the surface" that GM and Toyota are "looking out or the customer", actually, they are taking the "cheap way out of a bad situation" and leaving the consumer "holding the bag" with defective components that should have been recalled, not "replaced within a year if they fail" (extended warranty).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I reckon y'all are missing the point in the original posters statement. Keystone did not say they would not extend his warranty, they said they would not extend the warranty while it was still in force. That doesn't mean that they won't extended it once the initial period has ended.

Sounds like much to do about nothing. Wait to start the rant, until there is actually something to rant about.
Javi,

You're correct. The point of the original post was a concern about a fiberglass repair that apparently has been corrected. The poster's trailer is still "in warranty" until June 2016. Pretty much all of the subsequent posts ( mine included) have "expanded" on that "potential problem" which won't be a problem until June 2016, if it's even a problem then....

Could it be there's "worry and fretting" that's taking place over an issue that may not even be an issue?

Keystone has said that they won't address an extension until the warranty has expired, so it's a "wait and see" what Keystone says in June. OP, let us know then, if there's an issue or not, OK?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #27
binfordtools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post

Perhaps I just mistook what they said. I later asked if they would be willing to extend my warranty past the 12 months (or...9 months when you factor the time it was in the dealer and not not on the road) and they said they would not.
binfordtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #28
binfordtools

Look…the bottom line here is I am a little bent about this situation. I’ll be the first to admit this is my first RV and maybe my expectations are higher than they should have been. A lightweight RV that bounces down the road is bound to have some quality issues. Because I work in automotive where there are ridiculously high and highly monitored standards, I expected that $25k would net me a product that didn’t break literally the first time I used it. Lessons learned.

Thanks to those who replied with helpful insight. To those who didn’t, well...can’t please everybody I suppose.

Take care.
binfordtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:48 PM   #29
Steve S

So your issues were fixed and you're happy correct? This thread has gone all over the place and I'm still wondering if you've hooked up and have been on some many happy trips or not?
You own a travel trailer and yes they will have small problems as you drive down the road whether you spend 25k or a 100k.
It's not a house and you'll have some small problems so get out and enjoy camping and get used to your trailer and slow it down as a bouncing trailer isn't a good thing