Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #1
RV802

Angry What's that musty smell?

Our 2014 Bullet Premier 19FBPR developed a musty/mildew odor within a year or so. It is particularly pronounced in the slide out area. The smell has permeated the foam dinette cushions to the extent that we replaced all the cushions. With the slide out extended and the windows open, the smell is very noticeable outside the camper.

We have examined the roof, checked under the carpeting in the slide out, and examined every nook and cranny that we can access. We see no leaks or evidence of water having gotten in. Floors under the carpet are in mint condition.

We have all roof maintenance done as recommended by the dealer and manufacturer.

We find that over time we become "nose blind" to the odor when we're camping, but when we get home our clothing and linens smell up the house until we can launder everything.

The dealer has suggested mostly cosmetic (perfume) approaches but has said they'd tear into the unit to find the problem. We're obviously beyond warranty, so we're looking at serious money.

I'm thinking about cutting some access holes into the slide out walls under the dinette benches to see if I find water, mold, wet insulation.

Anyone else have this issue? Anyone have suggestions? It's disappointing to look forward to an outing and be reminded of the odor as soon as we open the door.

Can I mess things up too badly if I'm careful cutting into the walls on the inside?

Thanks in advance.
RV802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

When I first read your post, I was thinking condensation/mildew between the cushion edges and the exterior wall. Moisture will condense from the warmer humid air and collect on the cooler outside walls, especially where there is no air movement (behind cushions and mattresses). But, the further into your post I got, the more it sounds like a window leak. If it was bad enough to need to replace the cushions, you may have mold established in the OSB/plywood framework of the dinette. If so, you might get some help from your insurance company.

I believe the Bullet Premier slide walls are vacuum formed. If that's true, then any holes you cut will only reveal "foamed in place Styrofoam paneling"... So, possibly a better approach would be to remove the side window at the dinette and see if you can identify any water intrusion from there. If you're careful, you can see if any water has encroached the luan paneling under the window framework.

When you reinstall the window, use butyl putty tape and be sure to tighten the interior trim ring evenly around the circumference as you go. Don't try to tighten the top then move on or you will warp the frame, tighten gradually as you would the lug nuts on your wheels.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Can I mess things up too badly if I'm careful cutting into the walls on the inside?
FYI .... the walls of the slides are much thinner than the main walls. With the slide extended check from underneath for soft spots. Also the front and rear facing walls have a metal strip at the bottom that is a common source of leaks if sealant or screws have loosened. Fresh coffee grounds in an open baking pan while in storage will help control odors until you can find the source.
Could also be a dead critter somewhere too.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
bsmith0404

Another area to check is the floor under the slide. You could be getting water trapped up into the floor from rain/water being thrown off the tires while traveling. Unlike the rest of the floor, your slides don't have a large area for air movement to dry out any moisture. I would eliminate everything possible before I started drilling holes.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold, musty odor, odor