Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
slopijom

Very dissapointed in keystone

My mom bought a keystone residence after my dad died to live in as she couldnt afford to keep their house. Moved it to my house to live in(august). Had a water leak in the 20ft. slide, so closing it up to bring to the dealer, the slide binded up and jerked violently. Told dealer of the issue with the slide. kept it a month. Brought it back home, same leak, so scheduled appt. again. slide did the same thing. So now keystone is saying its not a defect and insinuated the camper had contact and bent the slide rails. Which did not happen.The slide has been functioned maybe 4 times.Now its gonna cost my mom $2000 plus to fix something that just wasnt built or aligned right.......Anyone else had issues with getting slides fixed from Keystone?
slopijom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
mazboy123

she needs to address the issue with keystone. no one here can be sure of what your mom has done.

the dealer should help.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #3
x96mnn

I was going to blame the dealer as well, they should not stand for the response, or they supported the conclusion.

Either way a terrible situation to be in. I empathize as I lost my father as well and know the struggles my mom has seen, problems your mom does not need right now. You like I will loo after her the best you can!
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:37 PM   #4
GaryWT

Have you been dealing directly with Keystone or with the dealer? A good dealer should go to bat for you with Keystone. Was this a new unit or used, is there any warranty? Good luck, hope it works out. Issues are no fun and even less after a loss like you have had.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:35 AM   #5
slopijom

I have talked with the dealer and Keystone. Im the one that has opened and closed the slide as my mom is nervous about using the slide. Keystone kept saying it wasnt a defect, i told them it was an alignment problem, and they acted like i didnt know what i was talking about.The slide starts moving on one side, instead of moving together. Anyway, i appreciate your comments, looks like it will just be a back and forth arguement that i will have to pay for, because my mom cant. Thanks guys!!!!
slopijom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:48 AM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopijom View Post
I have talked with the dealer and Keystone. Im the one that has opened and closed the slide as my mom is nervous about using the slide. Keystone kept saying it wasnt a defect, i told them it was an alignment problem, and they acted like i didnt know what i was talking about.The slide starts moving on one side, instead of moving together. Anyway, i appreciate your comments, looks like it will just be a back and forth arguement that i will have to pay for, because my mom cant. Thanks guys!!!!
If I were you I'd contact a local RV repairman and have them give you an estimate on adjusting the slide. Depending on which slide mechanism it has the cost is relatively inexpensive (it cost me $100 to have mine done) if all that is needed is adjustment. Continue to use the slide and there may be additional damage which can become expensive.

I know that Keystone and the dealer should probably step up and cover the adjustment, but honestly it is usually not worth a $100 for me to fuss with them to get something fixed.

For instance on my new Cougar the heat register in the middle of the floor caught the slide as it came in and it bent all to heck, rather than deal with hauling the trailer back to the dealer and waiting for him to order a register I just ordered one myself and installed it. Done deal, cost me $50 to order a complete set of registers from Trekwood RV so if it happens again I'm covered..
Old 01-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #7
GaryWT

It is a shame they are not helping you out. See if you can have the dealer give it one more try to see if Keystone will do something. Sometimes if they see you are not going away they will step up. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:18 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopijom View Post
My mom bought a keystone residence after my dad died to live in as she couldnt afford to keep their house. Moved it to my house to live in(august). Had a water leak in the 20ft. slide, so closing it up to bring to the dealer, the slide binded up and jerked violently. Told dealer of the issue with the slide. kept it a month. Brought it back home, same leak, so scheduled appt. again. slide did the same thing. So now keystone is saying its not a defect and insinuated the camper had contact and bent the slide rails. Which did not happen.The slide has been functioned maybe 4 times.Now its gonna cost my mom $2000 plus to fix something that just wasnt built or aligned right.......Anyone else had issues with getting slides fixed from Keystone?
I think there are several unanswered issues here:

First, is this a new trailer or a used unit? If it is used, was there any warranty implied at purchase?

Second, did the dealership deliver and set it up? If they did, then they may have damaged the slide or it may not be set level which could cause the leaking seals.

Third, If you or someone other than the dealership set it up, there may be an issue with "who damaged the slide".

Fourth, There is an exclusion in the "new RV warranty" which states, "Adjustments to all doors, drawers, locks, latches, slide outs, awnings and window treatments beyond 90 days after retail sale;"

So, when discussing the problem with Keystone, it would be in your best interest to make certain that Keystone, the dealership and you are all talking about a situation that occurred during the first 90 days. Knowing Keystone's policy as it has been depicted here time after time, if it was reported on the 91st day, the immediate response will be: "DISAPPROVED"...... It will be up to you to convince them that is not the situation. Being clear with dates, situations, who said what and who did what and when it happened will help you illustrate the "who/what/when/why/where" that you will have to prove if Keystone is to "change their position" on the denial (assuming that Keystone has, in fact, denied the claim and it's not just the "dealership blaming Keystone")

Good luck and make sure you know the warranty inside out before you start arguing with Keystone. The owner's manual is literally filled with "exceptions" and "exclusions" that are hidden in the narrative throughout the book. Often these are not in logical places and are easily missed by an owner who is looking for something, finds it and stops reading.... Then, 4 or 5 pages later, it will be addressed again, with a clearer statement of "why it's not up to Keystone".....

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote