Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
Tim Cline

296 FWRLS Slide and Other Problems

We took posession of our new 296fwrls last week. Unfortunately the slides were already out during final inspection and instead of staying to watch them retract the slides I was taken up front to finish paperwork. Well we went straight to a local CG to unfold and go through everything. As soon as I attempted to extend the bedroom slide I new I was in trouble with all the banging and jerking that took place. i immediately called the dealer and got the obligatory "gee thats impossible it worked here". I looked over the system and found the top right corner cable
was just flopping around and was obviously never properly adjusted. We'll see how that goes as I returned it yesterday to have the suspension fixed, the electrical short that did not allow the a/c or heat to run with the lights on??? Hows that happen? The door over the LP tanks kept flying open going down the highway and had to be duct taped closed to get it back to dealer. The gutter drain was routed so that when the awning was roled up it directed rain into the awning rails. My 252fwrls I traded in was still sitting on the lot, I was tempted to hitch it up and tell them they get it back when I have a usable camper. We'll see how responsive this dealer is in correcting all these defects. Fingers crossed.
Tim Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Wow! Sorry your having that many issues with a brand new unit. When you go to pick it up after repair, I would make the dealership demonstrate to you that each item was addressed and corrected.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #3
Tim Cline

I have to give the dealer a chance to make it right. However that said there was no way they did not hear that grinding from the slide. But then again keystone did not catch it or the electrical issue. That one worries me more than the slide. Wintr is setting in here so unfortunately will have to wait for spring for another trial run. My dealer is 2 hours away so you better believe we're going to go through everything very thoroughly. Although the dealer did remind me it was Keystones warranty, not theirs. What the heck is that supposed to mean?
Old 11-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I would have thought all those issues would have been dealt with during the PDI, assuming the dealer actually did one. I just delivered an outback last week that the A/C compressor wouldn't energize. Turned out to be a loose connection behind the thermostat. I don't believe the factory does any comprehensive tests of the systems before shipping them to the dealer.

The warranty is indeed from keystone, not the dealer but they should be held responsible for the execution of the warranty as an authorized dealer. Make sure you don't wait past the warranty date to pick it up.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Just went through the "it's a Keystone warranty, not ours" Friday with my selling dealership.

It's hard for me to keep in mind but they are pretty much right. Unlike an auto, they literally can't do anything unless Keystone signs off beforehand then authorizes the scope of the work etc. If parts are involved the dealership must wait for Keystone to send them after they (Keystone)do their investigation, get pics and on and on. The dealership does not keep an endless list of parts for every brand they sell. Last items we had to get (after I took pics and sent them to the dealership and Keystone) took 9 days for Keystone to authorize and then 17 days for them to get them to the dealership. This would be on top of the typical 3 week wait you have to get the unit in - and I installed the parts myself. Very frustrating and illustrates why you absolutely must go thru a comprehensive PDI before taking it off the lot. 2-3 trips to the dealer for these kinds of things and poof! the warranty is gone.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
Tim Cline

2 weeks and counting

Well the rv is still at the dealer as they now "battle" with Keystone on how to fix the slide out. I talked to the dealer today, I'm not interested in "battling" over an rv that I waited 2 weeks to be prepped for delivery, picked it up, used it less than 12 hours and had to return it because of the jammed slide, the electrical short, the propane door flying open etc. and now have been waiting another 2 weeks while the "battle" takes place with no resolution in sight. Dealers words not mine. I wll be notifying the lien holder of the location of "their" rv.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Tim

Have you escalated this to the Service Manager, or better yet, the GM/owner? When I bought my RV the dealership told me it would be a few days because their initial walk thru had found either 12 or 15 items that had to be fixed; shower head water leak, adjust slides, etc. etc.

My CW dealership and Keystone have done a great job of trying to take care of my issues; and I'm a very demanding person. The dealership is "in the middle"; you buy a Keystone or xyz and the manufacturer has a warranty. Your dealership isn't an exclusive dealer like an auto dealer so deals with many manufacturers. Those manufacturers all have various processes and procedures you have to go thru before they will fix a warranty item.

I think the dealer may be a big part of the equation. They have to go to bat for you and do all the things that Keystone requires for a smooth warranty repair. If they don't, you will be stuck as you are trying to figure out what to do.

Sounds like the slide was not adjusted correctly and not found on the initial inspection by the dealership...if they had one. The issue you describe should be rectified, IMO, by the dealership/Keystone without a lot of trouble. Don't mess with the service tech or service writer etc. Your service manager and owner need to know you face to face. Document your issues and provide that to them so they can give that to Keystone. I usually flood them with info/pics and my "opinions"....which they usually don't want
Old 11-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Has the dealer told you what Keystone has authorized, denied, etc. And why has the dealer determined that it's going to be a "battle".

Old 11-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #9
Ken / Claudia

Sounds as Tim will change his battle from the dealer/keystone to him and the bank. I only suggest that you read thru all the loan documents and or pay a lawyer to do so. But, it's your money do what ever you wish.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:11 AM   #10
Tim Cline

The dealer used the word battle, not me. I'm not blaming the dealer. They are obviously doing what is being directed by Keystone. 6 weeks since I bought the thing drove it down the road and took it back. i'm not getting lawyers involved or anyone else. If this were a car it would have already legally been deemed a lemon simply from lost use time. I have another phone conference with sales, service today simply because the service department has been honest with me and agree this is unacceptable. Its a KEYSTONE issue AGAIN.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:30 AM   #11
notanlines

First and foremost, any RV dealership worth its salt would have fixed the slide immediately! When a new unit is sent off in the condition this one was then common sense says fix it for the customer. Hell would freeze over before I would buy from them again.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:43 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with notanlines, the dealership should have "just fixed it", but I think we need to understand the dynamics of what is likely to be going on here.

First, the trailer was manufactured by Keystone and transported to the dealership.

Second, the dealership did an "acceptance inspection" upon delivery.

Third, Keystone paid the dealership a significant amount of money to do a PDI on the trailer and to correct any "deficiencies" noted during the inspection. This PDI payment by Keystone can be upwards of $1000, depending on the cost of the RV and the items that are found to need repair/adjustment.

Fourth, the trailer was sold to the customer, then brought back for something that was found wrong.

Fifth, when the dealership contacted Keystone with the problem, requesting authorization to repair it, the question then becomes:

Was the dealership already paid to do the slide adjustment as a part of that initial PDI? If so, then should Keystone pay the dealer to do it a second time? Or should Keystone disapprove additional payment and insist the dealer repair the slide since they have already been paid to repair it as a part of the PDI that was done on Keystone's initial payment???

This forum is filled with comments from owners about dealerships that didn't do an adequate PDI when they bought their RV. We've heard about hot water heaters that leaked, air conditioners that weren't connected to the thermostat, water pumps that wouldn't run, furnaces that had no propane connection, refrigerators that weren't plugged in, and the list is endless.

There is a "fine line" between some dealership service departments which "paperwork the PDI" and some other dealerships that actually do the job that Keystone has already paid them to do. So, without knowing the situation here, it may be a "dealer's battle with Keystone" not because the company is refusing to pay for the repair, but because Keystone is saying, "We've already paid you to do that work and won't pay again." Either way, it's the dealership that needs to "step up" and keep the customer satisfied.

The comments on this forum may be well intentioned, but without knowing all the facts, some posters may be "dogging" Keystone when it's the dealership trying to "double dip" for repair money. We just don't know enough to make a judgment on what is really happening in this (or in many other) situations.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

JRTJH

I agree. The dealership is responsible for going thru the RV before you pick it up to make sure it's as ready as it can be for the new owner. In this case, the dealership should be so embarrassed that a new unit left their lot with that kind of problem that they just immediately take it back in and fix it..then deal with Keystone. IMO they get an F for unit prep before delivery.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #14
Tim Cline

I was told today keystone has agreed to pay the dealer $3000 to repair the slide and have agreed it needs to be removed for repair. They are now waiting for new slide parts. I told them 4 weeks ago it would have to come out. They put the living room wall back in after pulling new wires but are waiting for new trim that was broken during removal. We're talking at least a couple more weeks. Just glad this is not May.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Well it looks like your trailer is at least getting repaired. Batten trim is almost impossible to remove without breaking it, and as long as the factory is sending new, it's a non issue in my opinion.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #16
ozkamper

doesn't the manufacturer ever take trailers back to the factory for major repairs? Just curious.
ozkamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkamper View Post
doesn't the manufacturer ever take trailers back to the factory for major repairs? Just curious.
Not all the time. We have removed slides for lino work (full replacement). Last month we did get a factory (not Keystone) to accept a trailer back for major floor repair, so I can't say there is any rhyme or reason.

Without knowing all the conversations between the dealer and Keystone I can't say with any authority, but it'd bet the dealer said they could do the repair.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #18
Tim Cline

Norco is sending a complete new slide frame. I think this is a learning experience for the dealer. I told the dealer when I come to pick it up that not only will I cycle all 3 slides until the cows come home but the frame around the slide that was removed should not have excess puttied holes etc from being removed and reinstalled. If need be they should install new wood trim. I find it hilarious that I have recieved 2 emails from the general manager and salesman exclaiming their amazement its been a whole month that I have been enjoying my new RV. Are you serious? Look in the service bay knuckleheads its still sitting there!
Old 12-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #19
Tim Cline

Still waiting! Was just looking at the dealers facebook page, they have a picture of my wife and I picking up our camper in October how happy we look. It doesn't mention that less than 24 hours later it was sitting unusable waiting to be returned to the dealer, where it still sits today.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:57 AM   #20
notanlines

Tim, you're only leaving a small amount of info from this story: The name of the dealership. It's more interesting if we know who the goofballs are that you're dealing with......
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote