Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
dndweeks

Ordering vs. Purchasing Off the Lot

For the last several weeks I've been trying to read thru past posts to gather as much information as I can in helping us make a decision on our RV purchase. However, it seems the more I learn, the more questions I have

I know some buyers purchase models sitting on the dealer lot, but I read about many ordering their RV's.

Do you order directly from Keystone or do you go thru the dealer?

What do you feel are the biggest advantages of ordering an RV vs. purchasing one off the dealer lot?

Is one purchase any more cost effective than the other?

Thanks.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

If you find the perfect unit for you on the lot for a good price ... go for it.
If you plan to upgrade anything (tires and wheels, suspension, 30 vs 50amp power, A/C, dinette, furniture and so on) you will be better off ordering from factory. The main drawback is the WAIT.
If I were going to replace the "Ol' Cougar" I would order exactly what I wanted, but I would still have an RV while I was waiting.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
apr67

I would love to order an RV exactly as I want it someday.

By doing it though a place like RV Direct you can get what you want and get a good deal on it.

But you are buying sight unseen. RV manufactures make running changes throughout the year, so even if you think you know what you are getting, you may be surprised. Also many local dealers are loath to work with you warranty service if you didn't buy from them. This mostly goes back to the crappy reimbursement from companies like Keystone.

Often your local dealer will come close to a RV Direct or other wholesalers price (with a few percent) and that may be the best of both worlds, unless RV Direct is your local dealer!
apr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

We recently bought a new fifth wheel. We shopped around, found several that were on dealer's lots with "almost" what we wanted, but none that had everything. So, we special ordered what we wanted (from our local dealer), complete with all the options we felt were desirable. The cost was the same as settling for one on the lot (minus the missing options). So, as with any large investment, if you find what you want and the price is right, buy it. If you have to settle, you probably won't be satisfied, so in that case, order what you want.

As Hankpage said, just realize that you will have to wait for it to be built "exactly as you want"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
azlee56

didn't someone on here order one and when it came in it wasn't quite the way they ordered because keystone had quit doing something. (I think it was with the slide, but I can't remember)
Old 07-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
dndweeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We recently bought a new fifth wheel. We shopped around, found several that were on dealer's lots with "almost" what we wanted, but none that had everything. So, we special ordered what we wanted (from our local dealer), complete with all the options we felt were desirable. The cost was the same as settling for one on the lot (minus the missing options). So, as with any large investment, if you find what you want and the price is right, buy it. If you have to settle, you probably won't be satisfied, so in that case, order what you want.

As Hankpage said, just realize that you will have to wait for it to be built "exactly as you want"
Talking about how you shopped around and found "almost" what you wanted made me realize that we don't yet know "what we want." Being first time RV owners, we know what appeals to us, but we don't know what we're really going to like or dislike about anything we might buy. It probably makes the most sense for us to find all the features we feel we need to have, find the RV with those features, then try it out for awhile before we really know what we like and don't like about it. I can only compare it to our house building experience. We spent months and months trying to decide on a house plan. We found the perfect plan, built the house and moved in. After living here for a few months I started finding all the things I no longer liked about the house plan

The only thing I really know for sure right now is that with younger kids, we want a bunkhouse model, I really like the idea of having the extra 1/2 bath and I like the 5th wheels better than the travel trailers. It's a start, but that's about it.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

We also spent years finding the exact house plans we "thought" we wanted, built it, and it was "perfect" (until we lived in it for a few months). We started looking to change things, wished we'd have built some things differently, and on and on..... I think part of that is because as we use things, our "fluidity" changes. ie: we think of things that would be better. That's also called "experience" and none of us have the market on that. After 40+ years of RVing, I still am suprised by some things I see or experience in my own RV or in other people's RV or things that I hear about on this forum. As things change, we all get "suprised" at times... sometimes it's a good suprise, other times, not so good.

My advice to a first time RVer is to make a list of things you definitely want or need and a list of things you definitely do NOT want. As you walk through RV's, add to the list, move things from one column to another, and keep that list handy. Sooner or later, the "perfect" RV will surface. When it does, if you can, try camping in it for a weekend to see if it really is perfect.... Chances are you won't be able to do that, so take your family, "move into" that "perfect" RV on the dealer's lot, sit in it, move around in it (with the whole family inside) and pretend you're camping. Try to get into each other's way, imagine a rainy day, cranky kids, a hamper of dirty clothes in the tub... imagine stepping over each other to move around....

As you do that, keep the list handy and jot down things that you'd change.... Then, go looking for the modified RV. Sooner or later, you'll find it, or at least something close to it. Then you have to make a decision... buy it or keep looking..... Remember, none of us with a "few years" under our belt are in the same RV we started with. Most have changed type, floorplan, size, color, kind of bed, what we store, what we use, where we camp.... the list goes on.....

You'll make some changes in what you "think you want" but it's all a part of the joy of RVing. The saddest thing would be to miss out on the joy of RVing while trying to find the perfect rig....

As said many, many times: "It's not the destination, it's the journey that makes for happiness."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
Bob Landry

Our first trailer was a Jayco 22FB. It was an impulse buy with hardly any research, but the price was right and it got us into RVing. It didn't take too many months to figure out that there wasn't really anything about the trailer that we did like. Some research brought me to Keystone and we saw an Outback at a show and bought it. I took a bath on the Jayco, but I didn't want to put a lot of money into something I knew I wasn't going to keep very long.
So, two trailers and three trucks later, I'm here to tell you that upgrading can be expensive. I got lucky with the 277RL. We like almost everything about it, it has no issues, it modded very easily, it's plenty big for two people and it does what DW and I want it to do.
We just swapped out the swivel rockers for La-Z-Biy recliners and we are happy campers. If I could change one thing about it, I would like to have a free standing dining table and chairs, and if I can find a source that won't break the bank, I may take out the dinette and do it. If I ever get another trailer, that and a work island in the kitchen are the only two items on my wish list.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
therink

If you are as picky as I am, then I prefer to buy off of dealers lot (assuming that I know the exact model that I want). Consistency of quality from one rig to the next (same model) can vary greatly based on many things related to how well it was built (fit and finish) and how it left the factory.
Before I even start talking numbers, I have gone through the unit enough to know what is wrong, what needs to be fixed due to sloppiness at the factory, etc. When I see a rig that I like I would buy it. Sight unseen (factory order), I would be afraid of what actually arrives that I am more or less committed to.
I will add that I would not but anything that has been on dealer lot more than a couple months due to lack of care and exposure to the elements without any care.
This has worked well for me on the past few new units and have made OK using this approach.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
Exsailor

There is another option. For those of us who did not recently hit the Lotto, how about last years models sitting on the lot? In my case is was a 15k difference and that can pay for a lot of aftermarket upgrades that are not financed and not subject to the insane depreciation that RVs endure. Bought my 08 model in summer of 09 and even with the 2 year old tires I think I came out way ahead. Just something to ruminate on.

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
ctpd814

dndweeks,
If you have a tow vehicle already, you may want to check into renting, just to get your feet wet. This will give you the chance to try different styles and options. I know the local dealer will take the amount you spent on rental and put it towards the purchase of a new unit. You just have to have a tow vehicle that is properly equipped for towing.
2 Wieners Maddie and Mollie
ctpd814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
hankpage
Site Team

Here's a crazy idea, go to a dealer, find something you think you may like, bring the kids, their input is important too. Hang out in the unit (or units) to get a feel of what it would be like to spend a rainy weekend stuck inside with the kids. If the salesperson doesn't like it find another dealer ... it's a big investment. Try different units with different options like booth as opposed free standing dinette, different kitchen locations and so on. Try to pick the options that suit your family best. If you are really comfortable with one unit as it is, great. If you feel one needs the good points of another, see if they are available as options and order them.
Another thing to consider ..... a bunkhouse vs. a small toyhauler with bunks the garage makes a good play room for the kids with room for bikes and other things.
Kids grow fast and when they no longer want to travel with mom and dad there would be room for dad's (and mom's of course) toys.
And remember "The one who dies with the most toys wins", Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #13
MarkS

Keystone only sells through dealers. So, if you want to order from the factory. You have to go through a dealer. We did it that way because our local dealer did not stock the floor plan we wanted.

If you order, your trailer will not have been shown. That is, you and the dealer will be the only ones to go in it after the factory. Not a big deal, but some people like that.

We had some surprises on our trailer. We ordered in February. We were expecting a 2013 model, but it came in as a 2014. The interior colors were a little different, but DW liked them (praise The Lord). The cabinets in the bedroom were different. The dinette table was different. The wiring for the satellite was different. We were happy with the changes, but that is a risk when you order.

If you are a good negotiator, you might get a better deal from your dealer. He does not have to carry a note on a factory order.

Like has been said. The biggest problem with a order is the wait. Expect 6 to 8 weeks. Which will kill this camping season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #14
dndweeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpd814 View Post
dndweeks,
If you have a tow vehicle already, you may want to check into renting, just to get your feet wet. This will give you the chance to try different styles and options. I know the local dealer will take the amount you spent on rental and put it towards the purchase of a new unit. You just have to have a tow vehicle that is properly equipped for towing.
I had no idea that dealers rented out RV's. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
Outbackmel

Settling

How many of us have purchased used homes and made changes to satisfy our desires?! We have owned 12 houses; 2 cabin cruisers and 2 rv's in 47 years of marriage. Many of the homes were NEW. Cannot remember 1 that was exactly what we wanted after living in it for 6 months. Sometimes we let emotion drive a decision. After owning our 5er for 3 years (new purchase) I have been searching for a smaller than 36ft rv, class A, gas, 32ft or Class C which "might" be easier to set in spot, have a built in generator, etc. BIG decision.

We also have owned at least 10 motorcycles and 2 horses...

They were not perfect either!!

Life is short folks; adjust and go for the FUN you can enjoy today.

Note: We were forced to move frequently for career advancement. NO, we were were not in a witness protection program....
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #16
dndweeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
How many of us have purchased used homes and made changes to satisfy our desires?! We have owned 12 houses; 2 cabin cruisers and 2 rv's in 47 years of marriage. Many of the homes were NEW. Cannot remember 1 that was exactly what we wanted after living in it for 6 months. Sometimes we let emotion drive a decision. After owning our 5er for 3 years (new purchase) I have been searching for a smaller than 36ft rv, class A, gas, 32ft or Class C which "might" be easier to set in spot, have a built in generator, etc. BIG decision.

We also have owned at least 10 motorcycles and 2 horses...

They were not perfect either!!

Life is short folks; adjust and go for the FUN you can enjoy today.

Note: We were forced to move frequently for career advancement. NO, we were were not in a witness protection program....
Obviously I'm one of the people who built a brand new home only to discover I wanted to change things about it. I just hope we can choose an RV that we'll be mostly satisfied with for a few years before we want to sell it an get something different. It's a lot of money to spend on something only to discover you're not happy with it sooner rather than later.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:30 AM   #17
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dndweeks View Post
For the last several weeks I've been trying to read thru past posts to gather as much information as I can in helping us make a decision on our RV purchase. However, it seems the more I learn, the more questions I have

I know some buyers purchase models sitting on the dealer lot, but I read about many ordering their RV's.

Do you order directly from Keystone or do you go thru the dealer?

What do you feel are the biggest advantages of ordering an RV vs. purchasing one off the dealer lot?

Is one purchase any more cost effective than the other?

Thanks.
Q1. Do you order directly from Keystone or do you go thru the dealer?
A1. I ordered my 2006 Keystone Hornet through a dealer

Q2. What do you feel are the biggest advantages of ordering an RV vs. purchasing one off the dealer lot?
A2. I got the options I wanted and my wife got the colors she wanted

Q3. Is one purchase any more cost effective than the other?
A3. No difference in my case
Old 01-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #18
theasphaltrv'er

MarkS May I ask how long did it take from the time you ordered yours till the dealer to get it in from the factory? I ask cuz we have a Cougar 5th wheel ordered.

Thanks
Milo
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #19
buzzcop63

Long time studying all types of RV's and waiting for retirement, the time finally came to choose our RV. Wife and I found that by going to RV shows that we could get a better fix on what a dealer might sell a given unit for. At an RV show in 2012 at Expo here in Portland Oregon we found the TT we wanted, a 27' 24RKSWE Cougar displayed by Curtis Trailer. We got a quote from a member of the Curtis family, Trevor Curtis at the RV show and then took another week to make sure it was what we wanted. We visited the West side Curtis trailer dealership again at their lot and went over the TT to make sure that the model we had chosen met up with what we wished. We also found out that Cougar, which is made in Oregon loads up the models so that there really is nothing left to add on.
The units had all been sold by the time we called the dealer and so we put ours on order, it was manufactured and brought into the East Side Curtis Trailer and when we went to pick the unit up we went all over it to make sure that we got what we were paying for and that everything on the unit worked as it was supposed to. Trevor took us through the trailer and answered all our questions, the dealership set up our WTH on our new 2012 Tundra and made sure the measurements for WTH were correct and the chain links were on the correct link to transfer the correct weight to the front wheels.
It had been some 15 years since I had last done a good deal of towing but as we left the East side lot and traveled on three freeways and through one town using country roads that the truck and trailer felt like they were made for each other. Big trucks went flying by us and I went flying by them with out hardly noticing, too excited to realize I was up at 65MPH before I new it. In short wife and I after two seasons with the trailer are in love with it, the Cougar fits us like a glove and we are very happy with our purchase.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #20
ocbms

Two Items to add

It was said previously bring the family and hang out is feel the comfort.
I say make pro vs list and use that to see what is right. Remember your home will be some like that list. Where is the waste Basket to be located. is it Left or Righted.
Last if this a first RV, look at used models. You will see more variety and if you find what you like have the salesperson sharpen the pen. I found mine from a private party after 6 months
ocbms is offline   Reply With Quote