Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
blackhound1

Such decisions......

Looking at buying a travel trailer. Was really set on the Cougar 31RKS with the nice rear kitchen but decided that the tongue weight at 940 lbs empty was just too much for the Dodge Ram 1500 quadcab hemi. Was then contemplating the Passport Elite 31RE. Loved the opposing slides for the rear living room til I realized that having a slide-out on both sides only allowed for a short, like 9 ft., canopy outside. That was kind of disappointing as it left very little canopy to sit under. Guess we are back to the drawing board and prioritizing our needs
blackhound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
GaryWT

I never like a slide on the front as you loose outdoor space and yes the 940 seems like a lot for a 1500. Take a look at some other lite weight trailers to see what you find. Have you been hitting up the RV shows to look around
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:31 AM   #3
Badboy

I have the Cougar 31 RKS and as long as you set up your W/D hitch rite you should not have a problem,I tow mine with a 2008 Chevy Tahoe.We go to South Haven Mi.with no prob.and it is about 180 miles north east of us.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
GMcKenzie

I also have a Cougar 30 RKS and I doubt I would have been comfortable towing it to the Grand Canyon and Vegas with anything less than the 3/4 ton Diesel I own. It is about 8,000 lbs loaded.

Love our trailer, only shortcoming is there is no closet for hanging jackets in.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
fla-gypsy

You are right to be concerned about that much tongue weight on a 1/2 ton truck as you will have no payload left. Consider some floorplans with only slides on one side. While this is a Keystone related forum there are plenty of makers who have a host of floorplans. The Rockwood/Flagstaff line gets good reviews and they make some lighter trailers without sacrificing interior layout