Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2017, 02:47 PM   #41
notanlines

First, let me thank everyone for being reasonably civil. This is a hot topic and can easily be swayed to the temperamental side. Secondly, let me also take time to thank those of you who write the lengthy posts, full of good info. All these take thought and time. Okay, on with the debate!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:43 PM   #42
Astroinfidel

I recently retired, and my 2008 Everest is my first RV. In July my cousin and I drove to within about 100 miles of the Arctic Ocean, on the tire - eating Dempster Highway.
See photo of my new factory supplied Firestone tire with a puncture in the sidewall.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9myt4xhpyq...owout.JPG?dl=0

Interestingly, my Tireminder TM66 didn't respond to the rapid air loss until I was almost stopped. I was alerted by the sound of the tire flapping and wasn't going more than about 30 mph, so it wasn't a big deal. We did about 800 more miles of rough and sharp gravel road with no spare for the truck and no cell service. I had expected to be able to find a replacement tire for a spare in Eagle Plains, Yukon, so we continued on. There was no tire in the required size neither there nor in Inuvik. It was a relief to get back out without any further tire issues.

The Sailuns performed flawlessly, as they have since I put them on the Everest when I bought it in the spring. I have towed about 12,000 miles with them so far, and am very impressed. And they are much less expensive than tires that are far inferior.

Dean
Astroinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:18 AM   #43
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
I don't like it when posters make comments about having a PhD in tires. That sort of thing isn't helpful.

And I'm with you on the idea we use documentation around actual failures / failure rates before name calling tires.

However, what I see (anecdotally) going on is a lot of tires, manufactured in China, being "branded" in a manner that makes complaining about them effectively and as such providing accurate data darn near impossible.

I don't recall the most recent brand (Lion-something) -but they just started getting imported by an LLC out of Goshen. Gee, what could be in Goshen that might interest someone selling tires? When I looked up complaints on that brand, there wasn't even a drop down for the new "name" on the tire.

Lots of this stuff comes in with a new "name" on it. Manufactured in the same place, same design, just a new logo. That does exactly what it's meant to do.

OEM providers like the idea of having tires built for them with their own "catchy" name. China tire manufacturing plants don't seem to have a problem molding those names on the tire sidewalls for the OEM providers.

For the tire PhDs, if I import a tire that gets a DOT certification, can I rebrand that tire as something else and keep my DOT cert? If so, I could just change my name every time I started to build a reputation.

The "DOT" certification molded into the tire sidewall is done by the tire manufacturer. It's telling us that all the information on it's sidewall is correct and it's been tested in accordance with NHTSA regulations.

And look, I'm an importer and reseller of foreign good (China). For every product (automotive) I probably fire 3 manufacturers out of 4. And I've had manufacturers try to change something to literally save $0.25 that impacts my customers. I believe it's endemic in the China market.

I believe that bottom-dollar (which is typically what the RV industry wants) tires are a problem when they are loaded to typical 80-90% of load capacity out of the gate.

I do not think all China products are crap. I replaced Trailer Kings with Sailun, both made in China, but the Sailun's literally weighed 100% more than the Trailer Kings.

It's a steel cased LRG tire that has very dense compounding and it's also regroovable. (Maybe even retreadable). Anyone should expect it to be more durable.

I do not think it's possible to get "good data" to document RV tire failures. There are too many ways to subvert this data..
Special Trailer tires don't have Uniform Tire Quality Grading rating codes (UTQG). Ist't it amazing (?), no one ever mentions that.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote