Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2017, 05:55 AM   #61
JRTJH
Site Team

Even Keystone is reporting the CBS story and the impact millennials are having on the RV industry.
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/are-mi...e-rv-comeback/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:15 AM   #62
Dave W

We spend most of the summer at a seasonal site, taking our lengthy trips early and late season, and probably will until we can't. Since the 4th of July, that small 50-60 site CG along the shore of Lake Champlain has been full every weekend and probably 75% during the week. It's almost always quiet - and if you aren't, you will be asked to stop and may not be allowed back again if it continues as your name gets added to the proverbial 'black book' that officially doesn't exist. The kids are allowed to be kids but not hoodlums. Remember that 'black book'? Dogs - a few barks are in their nature. Recreational barking for hours - oops, there's that 'black book'. No, the owners are not curmudgeons. They want you to enjoy yourselves but not at the expense of others. The CG is neat, the seasonal folks that never move don't add out buildings or fancy decks and all of us there for the summer have to keep their section free of weeds and trimmed where the owner can't easily access with their big mower.

Why don't we travel during the summer - well let's say that's been well covered by others.

Respect - our town is the number one town for business growth in New York state and #11 for highest per capita income (they missed asking us) with the reason being a brand new 4-5 billion dollar chip fab plant 3 miles up the road. This has brought in 3000+ employees plus their significant other with their 2.7 kids along with thousands more in support services. The roads are now packed vs when we moved here in 1993. There is a 16 home development in back of us where the never cut woods were virtually eliminated and many of those $500K homes were built on a partially filled swamp. Those folks, mostly in their 40s are beyond obnoxious. Their kids ...... sighhhhh. Much of the USA - no longer nice with so many 'entitled' people.

RVs - we drove through a CG on Sunday - all of the RVs were seasonals if not permanent to the point that the only way to move them is via a wrecking crew and several large dumpsters. There seems to be more and more and not just oldsters but of late Gen X to millenial age.

Oh well, the RV industry is on a curve to sell well more new then last year according to the RVIA website Makes you wonder what's going to happen to all those highly financed units when the next market 'correction' happens. Ours is paid for but, unfortunatel, many aren't.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #63
John&Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Even Keystone is reporting the CBS story and the impact millennials are having on the RV industry.
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/are-mi...e-rv-comeback/
That was a interesting CBS video with Keystone's president. Although they are putting out RV's as fast as they can, we know their QC is starting to suffer because of the push to roll them out the door. And although having fuller campgrounds can help with the expense of long needed improvements, the negative is that our coveted peace and quiet suffers
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:51 PM   #64
Gegrad

Wife and I are millenials (me at the upper end, her square in the middle) and we are on our second unit, after upgrading. Ha. Our boomer parents raised us camping in trailers so we are carrying on the tradition. We are quiet at places, as out toddler is up at 7 (at the latest). So if you meet us we will NOT be the loud ones.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:44 AM   #65
BrentB

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Every now and then something comes up about RV sales, here's one from a main stream source - from CNBC today:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/28/the-...ord-highs.html
I don't get this statement:

"Private campgrounds like KOA and GoCampingAmerica.com have hopped on this trend by offering WiFi and full amp hookups at their sites. They also allow RVers to use their slide-out, a way to extend the space in an RV while parked.

That last one may sound simple, but it's something public campgrounds don't allow and a major deterrent for RVers, according to Broom."

Sounds like they're saying you can't use your slide in a public park!
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:18 AM   #66
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post

"Private campgrounds like KOA and GoCampingAmerica.com have hopped on this trend by offering WiFi and full amp hookups at their sites. They also allow RVers to use their slide-out, a way to extend the space in an RV while parked.

That last one may sound simple, but it's something public campgrounds don't allow and a major deterrent for RVers, according to Broom."

It was covered earlier in the thread, but...a lot of older parks/CGs were around long before RVs grew to be so big, long and wide. So lots of parks the sites just aren't wide enough to be able to open slides, awnings, etc. I have the "problem" at a lot of our state parks in VA. Most are older and they don't want to cut down trees to make them "big rig friendly". I have no problem with that, I just have to know what I can get into and what I can't. I call first if I haven't been there before. One I went to a few years ago I called and told them what I had, they were like, no problem, we have 90' pullthroughs back there. Well, yeah, not sure how often they get used by anything longer than 35' or so. I had a 33' 5er back then and had to stop and backup a couple times on the road just getting to the sites to get around trees in not the best places. I could barely get into one of the 90' pullthroughs because of a tree in the wrong place. I had to back down the road into the dump station because the loop it was on I could barely get my truck around without the camper. But, it was November and it was me and the camp host, nobody else. Along the theme this thread has taken, it was TOO quiet.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:19 AM   #67
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post

Out of touch LAME STREAM media. Probably written by some "elite" who had to look up "fifth wheel" before writing the article.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote