Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #1
nesparky

Tire inflation pressures

I'm confused about tire pressure. I see many people running Goodyear tires. They are rated for 110 psi. What if the rim your wanting to mount them on isn't rated for that pressure, do the tires still have the same load rating at the lower pressure? And if know what is decent tire that can be run at 80 psi. I like the Sailun tires but not sure what they are rated for.
I have a 2014 Keystone Avalanche 330re. I don't even know what my rims are rated for.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
nesparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #2
bsmith0404

No tires are not rated for the same weight at lower pressures. Some tire manufacturers will give a load rating at different pressures and some will simply say to always use max psi listed on the side of the tire. Here is a link to the Sendel site. Sendel provides the majority of the wheels on RVs. If you can find your wheel, you can find the specs that it's rated for. It's still good to check the backside of the rim for the actual information that is stamped on the wheel. Some of the more popular brands that people have had good luck with are Maxxis and Carlisle. Figure out what your wheel specs are, the weight of your RV and then find a decent tire that meets the needs. Look for a tire that will give you about 20% extra capacity. For example, if your RV has 10,000 lbs weight on wheels, you have approximately 2,500 per tire. I say approximately, because load on each tire will vary based on trailer design and how your gear is loaded. So to get the 20% extra capacity, you would need a tire rated for 3,000. This should at least get you started.

http://sendelwheel.com/wheels/alumin...er-wheels.html

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:18 AM   #3
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesparky View Post
I'm confused about tire pressure. I see many people running Goodyear tires. They are rated for 110 psi. What if the rim your wanting to mount them on isn't rated for that pressure, do the tires still have the same load rating at the lower pressure? And if know what is decent tire that can be run at 80 psi. I like the Sailun tires but not sure what they are rated for.
I have a 2014 Keystone Avalanche 330re. I don't even know what my rims are rated for.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
In the past, Keystone has used OEM rims rated at 3580# at 80 PSI on fivers with 6000# axles. I've never seen Keystone offer a higher load range tire option for straight 6000# axles. It's ST235/80R16E only.

Back in 2004 & 2005 Keystone was using LT235/85R16E tires on all 6000# axles. The rims were rated at 3042# at 80 PSI - the same load capacity and PSI rating for that LT tire. The LT tire failure rate was very close to the previously used ST235/80R16D tires thay had fitted on 6000# axles.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:28 AM   #4
CrazyCain

I go by what the little sticker says on my Hideout 177LHs, 65 PSI cold.....so i would hope the rims would handle that just fine...

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote