Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2016, 05:17 PM   #1
geobet

rainier st tires

Just brought my new High Country home this past Saturday. Has Rainier ST tires, 235/80r16's. Can't seem to find out much of anything about them. I replaced the OEM tires on the Open Range I traded with Maxxis 8008's. Great tire with super reviews. Seems the Treddit tire web site says they're affiliated with Goodyear. Did a search on here for feedback on the Rainiers but nothing popped out. What do you guys think....dump the Rainiers and get Maxxis??? Would value your opinion. I know they're probably China Bombs ticking away but can't find reviews or opinions positive or negative.
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
CWtheMan

Re: rainier st tires

http://www.tredittire.com/docs/defau...r-tri-fold.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:18 PM   #3
bsmith0404

When I was transporting, pretty much every new Jayco trailer had Rainier ST tires. It was rare to hear of anyone having a flat. It was much more common for flats with tow max or trail king tires. I'm not saying they're a great or even a good tire, as new tires shouldn't be going flat within the first 2k miles, but other china bombs seemed to do it much more frequently. Personally, I never had a flat with one and I averaged over 2k miles with each trailer.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:41 AM   #4
Movin' on

I am certainly not telling you what to do, this is just what I have done.

Our Montana High Country came with the Rainier tires (same size as yours). I took my chances and ran them for the first year or approx. 10,000 miles with no problems. I recently replaced them with Maxxis 8008's. I was surprised that the Rainiers had a stiffer sidewall than I expected.

I made the same comparison with Towmax to Maxxis on our previous 5ver and the Towmax had much more flex in the sidewall. So, my unofficial opinion is that the Rainier is a better tire than the Towmax, but neither give me the peace of mind that the Maxxis do. By the way, I always check air pressure, use a tire pressure monitor, and keep speed to 65 or less and didn't have any problems with either the Towmax or Ranier. Maybe I was just lucky.... I don't know.

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:20 PM   #5
geobet

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate your opinions. Just noticed another problem today. The rear of the coach, fiberglass panel, doesn't appear to be attached to anything between the two windows. Appears to be bulging out. I can actually push it in from below the marker lights all the way down to the last rung on the ladder. Best guess delamination????? Any ideas? Haven't even had it a week yet. Bummer!!
Old 11-24-2016, 02:28 PM   #6
bsmith0404

there probably isn't anything between the windows. There will be aluminum framing around each window. If the windows are close enough to each other, there won't be any additional framing there. No framing = nothing to attach it to and the panel will flex. You're most likely okay, but if its new and under warranty, it doesn't hurt to have it looked at.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:31 PM   #7
Movin' on

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobet View Post
Thanks guys, I really do appreciate your opinions. Just noticed another problem today. The rear of the coach, fiberglass panel, doesn't appear to be attached to anything between the two windows. Appears to be bulging out. I can actually push it in from below the marker lights all the way down to the last rung on the ladder. Best guess delamination????? Any ideas? Haven't even had it a week yet. Bummer!!
Unlike the sides that are laminated, the rear panel is constructed differently, and what you are seeing is probably normal. I don't know the reason for this but you aren't the first person to think they have a problem. Our Montana HC, and our previous Cougar were the same way.

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:03 PM   #8
geobet

Brent & Movin-on:

Thanks so much for your input. Sure takes a load off my mind. Now, if I can just figure out how to repair the pull down shade in the dinette, I'll be set. Again, thanks.

George
Old 11-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #9
gearhead

Maybe keep the Raniers a while and see how they do. But be ready and know what you want to replace them with.
Do the new HC's come with 8 lug wheels? I would check the backside of the wheel, probably on the spoke, and see what the load and air pressure rating is. It may just have a weight limit.
If it is just a weight limit you will have to equate that to a tire load range and its' corresponding air pressure.
Then research and see if you could go to a load range G tire. Maybe a steel cased Sailun. They have a steel cased ST tire in 235 80 16 LR G. If in doubt call the wheel manufacturer.
If I had 8 lug wheels on our HC that is the direction I would go. I just don't want to pay for 4 new wheels and 4 new tires. I'm a bit leery of running the Sailun G at 80psi.
I've been happy with our Maxxis.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:02 PM   #10
geobet

Thanks gearhead, appreciate your advice. And, having Maxxis on my previous rig, I'm leaning that way again. Thousands of miles on them and zero problems.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:58 PM   #11
gearhead

If not Maxxis, maybe the new Carlisle HD. Especially if you have Discount Tire nearby and buy from them. They typically don't have Maxxis in the stores and can take a day or so to get them. Not what you want if you are on the road with tire issues.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:57 AM   #12
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobet View Post
Brent & Movin-on:

Thanks so much for your input. Sure takes a load off my mind. Now, if I can just figure out how to repair the pull down shade in the dinette, I'll be set. Again, thanks.

George
You didn't indicate what is wrong with your dinette shade. If it is a pleated, day/night shade, there is a good video on U-tube that shows how to restring the shade. If the string isn't broken, it could be the anchor. There is a round, plastic "button"(looks like a sewing machine bobbin) that anchors the shade string and provides the tension needed to hold the shade in the desired position. These can be found at CW - easy to replace.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #13
geobet

ismith948:

Thanks for the suggestion. I've got day night shades that are one piece vinyl. I took the shade down and removed the end pieces. One end is OK, the other has a large plastic paw gear thingy and the guts have disintegrated. I called my dealer and he's ordering a replacement and having it sent to me so I don't have to drive two hours just to get a shade. Shame is, that it broke when it was only pulled up and down a couple of time. Oh well.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:41 PM   #14
81SHOVELHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
there probably isn't anything between the windows. There will be aluminum framing around each window. If the windows are close enough to each other, there won't be any additional framing there. No framing = nothing to attach it to and the panel will flex. You're most likely okay, but if its new and under warranty, it doesn't hurt to have it looked at.
On our 2014 28RLS purchase in 2013 same issue. Took it to dealer & as others have said , rear wall built different than side walls . Dealer said it’s a floating wall & designed that way. 8 years later & still looks the same.
81SHOVELHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 04:43 PM   #15
Slayer958

In September 2019 I traded my 2006 Jazz 2870 for a 2020 Montana HC 330RL. The Montana came with Rainier ST 235 80R16 F tires, which carry a 6 year LIMITED warranty. I always check tire pressure and carry a portable compressor so I can maintain recommended PSI. In Apirl 2021, I noticed a tread separation on both driver side tires. I filed a claim for the tires through Tredit and they reluctantly sent me two new tires adding that they don't normally cover tread separations. I paid $80 for mounting. After a trip in July, I discovered the two passenger side tires are separating. I'm done with Rainier. It is hard to find any positive posts about Rainers; nothing but complaints about blowouts and short life-span.

I did some research and found most trailer tires are made in China with nylon belts. The exceptions were 1) Goodyear Endurance--all steel construction, made in USA; 2) Carlisle CSL16--all steel construction, unclear on where made; and 3) Sailun S637T--all steel construction, made in China.

I decided to go with the Sailun S637 235 85R80 load range G (they don't make a load F tire). At Big O Tire a set of 5 is $998 out the door. Sailun has very good user comments on this and other forums. I get them installed tomorrow and hope the move up to a G rated tire puts my tire issues to rest.

QUESTION TO KEYSTONE: Why do you put such low quality tires on a mid-range RV? (P.S.: I'm not really expecting an answer from Keystone, I know the answer. Low quality, cheap tires=Higher profits.
Slayer958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:17 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer958 View Post
In September 2019 I traded my 2006 Jazz 2870 for a 2020 Montana HC 330RL. The Montana came with Rainier ST 235 80R16 F tires, which carry a 6 year LIMITED warranty. I always check tire pressure and carry a portable compressor so I can maintain recommended PSI. In Apirl 2021, I noticed a tread separation on both driver side tires. I filed a claim for the tires through Tredit and they reluctantly sent me two new tires adding that they don't normally cover tread separations. I paid $80 for mounting. After a trip in July, I discovered the two passenger side tires are separating. I'm done with Rainier. It is hard to find any positive posts about Rainers; nothing but complaints about blowouts and short life-span.

I did some research and found most trailer tires are made in China with nylon belts. The exceptions were 1) Goodyear Endurance--all steel construction, made in USA; 2) Carlisle CSL16--all steel construction, unclear on where made; and 3) Sailun S637T--all steel construction, made in China.

I decided to go with the Sailun S637 235 85R80 load range G (they don't make a load F tire). At Big O Tire a set of 5 is $998 out the door. Sailun has very good user comments on this and other forums. I get them installed tomorrow and hope the move up to a G rated tire puts my tire issues to rest.

QUESTION TO KEYSTONE: Why do you put such low quality tires on a mid-range RV? (P.S.: I'm not really expecting an answer from Keystone, I know the answer. Low quality, cheap tires=Higher profits.
First, welcome to the forum. That said, if you're attempting to contact Keystone RV Company, this site is not affiliated with Keystone RV Company. There is a "disclaimer" located at the bottom of every forum webpage that states: "This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RV® is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company."

You'll need to contact Keystone Customer Service either through their website or via phone. Their phone numbers are located in your owner's manual and on their website, https://www.keystonerv.com/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:23 PM   #17
gearhead

You did well. Any of those 3 brands should give you good service.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:50 AM   #18
jsb5717

Quote:

Welcome aboard! As John said, we aren't Keystone, we're just a bunch of owners just like you. There's a ton of experience and loads of sound advice.

I agree it's sad that we should have to replace new tires but many of us have done it and it's cheap insurance. The Sailuns are a solid choice and should give you better safety on the road.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:31 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Your post, and others I read like it, are the reason the Raniers came off my MHC before I picked it up in March of '20. Had them put Sailuns (LRG) on mine as well and have had no issues. I did not want another on the road tire mishap.

As far as why they do it? Of course, bottom line.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:06 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Why does Keystone use those yires? I think that's been covered. The thing is, you don’t HAVE TO change them out. It's a personal CHOICE. For many years I bought Ford/Lincoln Mercury products that came with Firestone tires. I never liked that brand and sold several brand new sets when I had Michelin tires installed.

I replaced the OEM tires on my previous trailer with GY Marathons. Sold that trailer to my Godson and told him I would pick up the cost for the trailer to pass inspection. I was confident there wouldn't be any issues. Well he called from the inspection and said 2 of 4 yires failed inspection due to defects on the inner sidewalls. I replaced all 5 with Carlisle.

On the current trailer I replaced the OEM tires at year 5 with Carlisle. The installer showed me the blistering on the inside of the tires. I had dodged a bullet. This is yr 5 on the Carlisle tires and have taken them this long only due to confidence in the brand, the use of a TPMS, and the fact that last year I had a tire valve leak (Steel bolt in, brand unknown) so I had all 5 yires broken down to replace all valve stems and a visual inspection. Tires will be replaced next spring before our camping season begins. Those are my choices.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires