Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #41
esmoglo

Just got off the phone with dealer that’s doing the repairs Keystone is now aware of the issues asking for a million photos (according to the service writer) of the crack from all different angles and over all condition of the RV. Guess they want to eliminate abuse or miss use but it’s still like new see photo its super clean..

So we are now waiting on Keystone to come up with standard repair process on the cracked slide. A/C, valance & cabinet don’t worry me that can be fixed in a few hours providing they have all the needed parts.

Seems to me getting involved has moved things along allot faster VS just waiting on the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1N0A8529.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	10278   Click image for larger version

Name:	1N0A8559.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	10279  
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:50 PM   #42
dcg9381

Eh.. as long as you didn't mount a bike rack, you should be fine.. :-)
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:49 AM   #43
esmoglo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
Eh.. as long as you didn't mount a bike rack, you should be fine.. :-)
Lol yea no bike rack..
Old 04-27-2016, 05:03 AM   #44
esmoglo

So for authorizations have been provided to the dealer to repair the valance that was falling, cabinet that needed a new latch and the crack in the slide wall. Only item delayed for repair is the 15,000 BTU AC unit that’s completely fried up the dealer says it has to be replaced Keystone dragging their feet on that specific repair. Repair for the slide is basically sand down refill repaint and install new graphic. The dealership advised that’s a basic repair and at least it will be documented but they have no confidence it will actually solve the problem since the area is not only cracked it seems to be swelling. Nonetheless at least some of these items can be addressed at this point in time I’m actually thinking about getting rid of the unit time will tell. Overall Keystone l has been pretty pleasant to deal with by phone although I must say they do drag your feet a bit getting authorizations to the dealerships.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:36 AM   #45
JRTJH
Site Team

esmoglo,

Some food for thought: Keystone does NOT warranty your broken Air Conditioner. That warranty is provided by the manufacturer of the unit. If it's Dometic, Coleman or one of the "off brands", the "normal" route for repair/replacement (during the first year) is for Keystone to "manage the claim" through the Keystone warranty and then for them to get "reimbursement" for the repair. You (and your dealer) have "every right" to bypass Keystone and go directly to the A/C manufacturer and request repair. This may very well be what your dealership did, and the reason they don't yet have an approval could be that Keystone is not involved, or it could be that Keystone is waiting for the manufacturer to determine how to resolve the problem. Unfortunately, the "broken A/C is not a Keystone problem, all they can do is replace it or repair it at the direction of whoever actually made the unit. You might want to ask the specific question: "Who did you request approval to repair the A/C?"

Here's the direct quote from the Keystone Owner's Manual concerning component warranty:
"Appliance And Component Warranty Service/Administration

Appliance and component manufacturers may or may not provide their own warranties. These warranties are separate from the Keystone Limited Warranty and constitute the only warranty for those specific appliances and
components. The terms, conditions and warranty periods of these items may vary from the Keystone Limited Warranty.

For the appliance and component manufacturers providing warranties, Keystone does, however, administer those warranties during the term of this one year Limited Warranty except for tires, batteries, generators and washer, dryer. All warranty service claims on components must therefore be directed during the one year of this Limited Warranty to Keystone. After the one year period, all appliance and component warranty claims must be directed to the
respective appliance and component manufacturers.

Keystone is not warranting any appliance or components and is only representing that it is authorized to administer the services for such products during the one year term of the Limited Warranty. In no way shall Keystone’s Limited Warranty be modified or amended by Keystone providing administrative services for appliances and components."

When my Dometic A/C stopped cooling (the Cougar was about 5 months old), my dealer contacted Dometic directly. They overnighted a replacement top unit to the dealer who installed it the next morning. You might want to determine exactly "WHO" the dealership says is "dragging their feet" on your A/C.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:50 PM   #46
esmoglo

Ok new AC is on the way from Dometic they don’t want to fix the 6 month old unit, issue was with Keystone per their records showing a 13.5 BUT was installed but on the build sheet it shows 15 BUT so the discrepancy was a paperwork thing needless to say it will be fixed.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:17 PM   #47
chuckster57
Site Team

As a rule RV A/C units are not repaired if the failure involves the compressor, coils or refrigerant. These units are charged and the charging port is crimped and soldered. No service ports for evacuation/charging.

I don't know what your AC failure was, but I do know that Dometic requires a form filled out with LOTS of information including amp draw, ambient temp, intake and discharge air temp, and other stuff I can't recall right now.

As far as a TON of pictures, you have no idea what it takes anymore and not just Keystone. I had to spend 20 minutes on the phone to tech support for Jensen audio to obtain a "service code" so my dispatcher could contact customer service and get a replacement unit on a brand new class C motorhome, and that's after contacting the manufacturer and getting authorization to make the call.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:33 PM   #48
esmoglo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
As a rule RV A/C units are not repaired if the failure involves the compressor, coils or refrigerant. These units are charged and the charging port is crimped and soldered. No service ports for evacuation/charging.

I don't know what your AC failure was, but I do know that Dometic requires a form filled out with LOTS of information including amp draw, ambient temp, intake and discharge air temp, and other stuff I can't recall right now.

As far as a TON of pictures, you have no idea what it takes anymore and not just Keystone. I had to spend 20 minutes on the phone to tech support for Jensen audio to obtain a "service code" so my dispatcher could contact customer service and get a replacement unit on a brand new class C motorhome, and that's after contacting the manufacturer and getting authorization to make the call.
Wow seems rather wasteful really to make disposable AC units. Wonder how it would have been handled with the extended warranty would the have tried to fix it?

With the RV industry booming again they need a faster response time and better customer service I guess or perhaps this is as good as it gets?
Old 04-27-2016, 07:54 PM   #49
chuckster57
Site Team

Extended warranty would do the same thing with slightly less testing/documentation.

RV industry may be booming, and with that comes an increased volume of warranty claims waiting for approval and parts to be shipped. Contrary to what it seems people post, more and more units of every make are arriving from the factory with less and less issues. We are a Keystone dealer and I can say that a vast majority of the units are good to go. And from my perspective ALL manufacturers are stepping up and covering some things that in the past we knew would be denied.

Faster response? I think Keystone does a good job compared to others, there are some better but believe me, Keystone isn't what I would consider slow. Good as it gets? Probably but in these days of Emails and the ability to send digital images instantly, think what it would take if we had to take picture, develop the roll and mail them. Wait for a written response in the mail, write back requesting parts... you get the idea.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:10 PM   #50
esmoglo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Extended warranty would do the same thing with slightly less testing/documentation.

RV industry may be booming, and with that comes an increased volume of warranty claims waiting for approval and parts to be shipped. Contrary to what it seems people post, more and more units of every make are arriving from the factory with less and less issues. We are a Keystone dealer and I can say that a vast majority of the units are good to go. And from my perspective ALL manufacturers are stepping up and covering some things that in the past we knew would be denied.

Faster response? I think Keystone does a good job compared to others, there are some better but believe me, Keystone isn't what I would consider slow. Good as it gets? Probably but in these days of Emails and the ability to send digital images instantly, think what it would take if we had to take picture, develop the roll and mail them. Wait for a written response in the mail, write back requesting parts... you get the idea.
Good points indeed I appreciate your input.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:46 PM   #51
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmoglo View Post
Wow seems rather wasteful really to make disposable AC units. Wonder how it would have been handled with the extended warranty would the have tried to fix it?

I don't believe they're "disposable".

I think the manufacturers have regional collection places to properly recycle them, including capturing refrigerant. Usually a contractor. And I think they have a core charge.

Could be wrong though.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:13 AM   #52
chuckster57
Site Team

No core charge, only batteries have a core charge that I'm aware of.

As with most warranty replacement, payment can be dependent on the failed part being returned. No part, or if it's found to be good, no payment and return shipping is not paid for either.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:11 AM   #53
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmoglo View Post
Wow seems rather wasteful really to make disposable AC units.
All of the A/C units in Sam's, WalMart and other stores (5000 - 15000 BTU) are all "configured" like RV rooftop air conditioners. They all are "charged with Freon at the factory" and the "charge port" is crimped and soldered closed. Gone are the days of installing a "fill valve" in a small air conditioner. While I'm sure "some brands" still do it, the "Funai" "GE" and "Solair" models you find on the shelves of big box and discount stores are "replace, can't repair" models just like Dometic's RV systems.

Think about the last time you saw a "Radio/TV Repair Shop" or a "Small Appliance Repair Shop" on the street corner? More and more, the trend is to replace, not repair small electronics, appliances and power tools.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote