Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
omextreme

After 18 weeks in shop, more damage found Is a MFG Buyback an option?

Well in the 6 months we have owned our 2015 Montana the Rig has been in the shop for 18 weeks of repairs. This last round was for a wall failure that actually caused the slide wall to rip away from the floor.

We requested Keystone return this unit to the factory for repairs and the declined. Repairs were started in Dec and were scheduled to finish up this week

The dealer just called to tell me they found more damage to another wall.

At this point I am really wanting keystone to buy this back or at least replace it with another unit. Is this something that is ever done?

omextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #2
carwheel_09

Feel your pain. Ours spent most of the first year in the shop. Mostly vendors repairs but the frame flex and separation at the expansion joint under the bedroom slide was not good. Keystone also would not return it to the factory even when the dealer wanted it to go back. Dealer usually ends up losing money on this type of repair. Keystone doesn't allow enough in hours for them to come out ahead.
carwheel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #3
swanson

You might check the lemon laws in your state. Don't know if they would apply for an RV or not.
swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #4
Campy

Don't let them "outsource" this repair either, they did that on my new 14 Cougar and it simply cuts the manufacturer loose from the repair!! BIG MISTAKE on my part for allowing that to happen. Like mentioned above check your states lemon laws and hopefully RV's are allowed in your state. Ohio is one great state for lemon laws and in most cases the lawyer will take them on with no cost to you. Don't hurt to ask if they are covered in your state.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:12 AM   #5
Murphsmom

If you are a Good Sam member, you might want to contact the RV Resolutions in Trailer Life magazine or contact the powers-that-be on the RV.net forum.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #6
omextreme

The cracks have been repaired, it appears they just sanded / filled / repainted. The tech claims that there was no cause for the cracking other then "crappy fiberglass work" from keystone.

Obviously not in a position to argue but i am skeptical that this was just a "finish failure"
omextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:26 AM   #7
esmoglo

Quote:
Originally Posted by omextreme View Post
The cracks have been repaired, it appears they just sanded / filled / repainted. The tech claims that there was no cause for the cracking other then "crappy fiberglass work" from keystone.

Obviously not in a position to argue but i am skeptical that this was just a "finish failure"
I have cracks in my single slide on my 2016 Keystone Passport 2810BH only owned it for less than six months. Its scheduled to go in on April 11th I only have one crack so hopefully it gets repaired quickly. I am putting thought into getting rid of the unit once its all fixed and getting something else but time will tell need to crunch the numbers but I am thinking its quite possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1931adj.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	10203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1932.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	10204  
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:43 AM   #8
KYFamily

You may want to look into getting a Lawyer. Friends of ours had a Forrest River 5ver with many problems and it took a Lawyer to get involved. Forrest River finally took it back and let them pick another camper from the dealer they was trying to fix. They picked a Grand Design Reflection and have had problems with it also. They think there cursed. Any way Grand Design has at least been great to work with even though it's been to the factory twice for repairs. They just got it back and they hope the leak is fixed. I know neither were Keystone but all brands have problems. Hope you get is resolved.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #9
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by omextreme View Post
Yea, that's not a finish failure. Those appear to be stress cracks.. (stress the "appear").
As long as the stress isn't re-applied, should be fine...

Keystone does seem to take a "one pass" approach to dealer repairs. That is, once they've paid to have it repaired, it's between you and the dealer.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote