Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2015, 08:14 AM   #1
dnhxx

Actual tongue weights for Passport 23rb or Premier 22rbpr

Hi we really like the floor plan for the Passport Elite 23rb, or the Premier 22rbpr. We have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel for a TV, and I am concerned about the actual tongue weight of either of these two trailers after adding the propane, batteries and stuff. Someone had posted that the tongue weight on their 23rb was 900lbs, that would be too high for our TV.

I am hoping someone can tell me what their actual tongue weight and loaded weight are for either of these two trailers. I know it depends on what you put in and how it is distributed, but at least I will have an idea.

There are just two of us, and we plan to travel light.

Since both trailers have a dry tongue weight around 500 lbs, I am wondering if after adding a battery and propane, if we can keep the tongue weight less than 750 lbs after adding our stuff.

thank you
Don
Dallas, TX
dnhxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
GaryWT

I do not have an actual number but 12.5% of a fully loaded Premier is about 800. Depending on what is in the pass through storage and bedroom, you should be able to get to 750 is you think it through. Propane and battery will bring it to at least 600 if not 650 from the dry weight. You will be close but most likely workable. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
slow

If I recall the details correctly of the 900lb scale numbers for the 23RB posted previously, the trailer was empty except for battery, propane tanks and with a full tank of fresh water and empty grey and black. So it was approaching worst case IMO in terms of tongue weight assuming whatever was loaded in the rear or fridge would offset what was placed in the front storage.

We have a 2015 23RB and what really drives up the tongue weight is what you load into the front storage area and how full you fill the fresh water tank beyond the battery and propane tanks as you mentioned. If I placed everything I want to bring into the front storage, I can easily exceed the recommended tongue weight to TT weight ratio of 15%.

The 23Rb has a cargo capacity well over 2000 lb, so the issue is getting it moved toward the rear to stay within the recommended 15%. Last summer we were running at about 5400 lb loaded with 1/3rd fresh water tank and 750 lb on the tongue.

Last fall I started projects to move weight toward the rear. Heavy items (tools, drill, bottle water, beer, etc.) are now in the rear closet and I have replaced the BBQ holder on the rear bumper with a small plastic tote for leveler block etc. I have also installed two 5" PVC tubes at the rear for my sewer hose and ladder. Heavy kitchen items are placed in the bottom cabinet to the right of the stove which is to the rear of the trailer. With these changes my goal is to have more flexibility to fill my fresh water tank and be below the 15%.

I do not have new scale weights yet, but will post in the spring when I get around to replacing the mattress and hitting the scales.

BTW, we have no regrets getting our 23RB. We are glad we went for the sofa vs the dinette since it is very comfortable for those rainy days reading a book or watching TV. When the weather is good, we eat outside, so why have an uncomfortable dinette?
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:04 PM   #4
440justin

I think you will be pushing it to much with the Jeep, stuff adds up faster than you think. This is my post from last spring where I was a 980lbs hitch weight.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16663
Old 01-27-2015, 05:50 PM   #5
Randy_K

I have a friend that had the exact same set up. The Jeep had tons of power to pull the trailer. The problem came with the shorter wheel base / heavy tongue causing a severe sway problem. he traded in the Jeep for a Ram after a few attempts pulling the 23RB

Randy

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:57 PM   #6
440justin

If I was going to be towing with a Jeep I would want something with a loaded hitch weight of no more than 500lbs and shorter. Camplite makes some nice light trailers that can be towed with a Jeep.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:25 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Personally I think a 900 lb hitch weight is far too much for for such a short, lightly built vehicle. 750 is still awfully heavy. Maybe you could find something with a 5-600 lb tongue weight that would be acceptable. It would be sad to have such a nice new vehicle and buy an RV that made you regret buying one or the other.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:27 PM   #8
mpgtow

I also own the 2014 Jeep Diesel...
Just purchased a Laredo 240MK 1 month ago and thus far have towed it for 3 hours including going over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. The trailer is 28' with tongue. Empty weight of Laredo is 5400 lbs. Have not weighed it yet at the scales but Im assuming Ill be at 6,000 lbs. The Laredo came with 30lb. tanks which I replaced with 20lb tanks to reduce some hitch weight as well as ease of exchange. No problem with pulling power however you do know it's there! I have a Reese Dual Cam Anti Sway Distribution hitch. This makes a world of difference and wouldnt think towing without it or something similar.
I have read about others towing similar size trailers without issues on a Diesel Jeep forum. Certainly would NOT go over 30' length due to the wheelbase of the Jeep.
I love the Jeep because when Im not towing, I have a smaller vehicle to get around in and the mpg is fantastic.
mpgtow is offline   Reply With Quote