Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #1
itat

2012 Outback 250RS - Owners' Opinions

I'm a new member to this forum but not new to camping and camping forums. DW and I are considering a move from our current 2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS hybrid to a TT and we are looking at a used 2012 Outback 250RS, I'd like to get some feedback from owners of the 250RS on how it's built (i.e. quality) and how it works for them as a family.

My wife and I have 3 teenage boys who are camping with us now but that is expected to change in the next year or 2 as they get older and get summer jobs, so we're looking for a trailer that can accommodate them on a part-time basis while being suitable for us as a couples trailer for several week long trips and weekends throughout the summer up here in Ontario, Canada.

We're considering moving from the hybrid Roo because we're starting to do more travelling with the trailer and need something as a "mobile motel room" rather than a camper that will sit in a campground for a week or two, and we think it will be easier to setup and take down something without the tent ends - our 2010 Roo has the bungee cords to secure the tent ends, plus pop-up gizmos.

We had been considering a regular TT rather than an expandable like the 250RS but our driveway can only accommodate a 28' or 29' trailer and all the floorplans we like are at least 31' long so I can't park them in the driveway to winterize, de-winterize and maintain the trailer.

Any comments on the Outback and suggestions for other floorplans, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
scott1k

We have been very satisfied owners of a 2011 Outback 250RS. We are actually trading it in next week on a 2015 Outback 232BH. If it was up to me we would keep the 250RS, but the wife wants to upgrade to a bigger unit and I am looking forward to the full outdoor kitchen. While we looked at other brands, our positive experience with the 2011 kept us in the Outback product line.

Quality wise, it has held up very well. We have only had a couple of minor issues such as the screws that hold the window blinds in the rear slide pull out of the wall (EZ fix). We also had the compressor on the AC fail (not a Keystone issue) and our dealer simply pulled a replacement off a unit on his lot and sent us on our way. Overall, the unit still looks great, the finish is shiny and the decals still look new. The interior has worn very well and shows no wear.

We are a family of four and I personally thought it was a great size for us. However, my wife and daughter were bothered by the lack of a private changing area. The bathroom, while functional, is quite small. The main living area is very roomy and the kitchen is laid out well. The king bed slide is a great use of space, but it does take a bit of gymnastics to climb in and out of it. The folding bottom bunk and large cargo door was also a feature we took full advantage of. It is a great place to throw bikes or other bulky items.

Like you, we moved into this camper from a hybrid. The Outback is a true 3 season camper. We spent many nights using it late into the fall in temperatures at or below freezing. We have a pretty good sized oscillating electric heater that would maintain a decent temperature. On some of the real cool nights the furnace would kick in but we were always comfortable.
scott1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:19 AM   #3
itat

Thanks, scott1k Good luck with your new Outback!
itat is offline   Reply With Quote