Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Cougar High Country 319RLS

Will be picking up a Cougar High Country 319RLS next Tuesday. I've read lots of good things about it on various forums and a couple of negatives. I'm trying to get everything de-bugged as much as possible before I get it. Is anyone aware of anything I should have them, or me, check? They have had the panel off to the water heater? (in bedroom closet) for some reason. Also, it does not have slide toppers (which I have just learned about). Is that an option that is worthwhile (it has 3 slides). We live in West TX and we have lots of days the wind blows 40-50 mph and higher. Of course, I won't be leaving it opened up here a lot. Any info is greatly appreciated.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Hello, sourdough and welcome to the forum. I was about to reply to your post in the new member's section and saw this one, so will post here as I've got some information regarding your new RV/TV combination.

First, you can download a PDI (pre delivery inspection) checklist here: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5129

The link is in the first entry in the thread.

Now, in your "new members" post, you indicated you will be towing with a RAM 1400. I'm guessing you meant a RAM 1500. You should do some serious reading on the forum in "Tow Vehicles" and in "Towing" before you put your signature on the dotted line.

Your choice in trailers is essentially a 10,000 lb rig with a potential tongue weight of between 1000 and 1500 lbs. Plus, it's 36' long. That's a WHOLE BUNCH of trailer for any half ton pickup and really, much better suited to a HD 3/4 ton or even a 1 ton tow vehicle. I would urge you to do some very serious evaluation of your tow vehicle and realize that you're probably going to be "over your head" in trying to tow that much trailer with a half ton truck.

I'm not trying to tell you "don't" get the trailer, but rather hopefully getting you to realize that it's an awfully big trailer for your truck.

Again, welcome to the forum. Do some reading, arm yourself with facts and figures and hopefully you'll be better equipped to make the right choices.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks JRTJH.

I know that we will be at the limit of the ratings. Of course the dealer, sales folks etc. said it would be fine. I have a friend that pulls something similar and he said his worked OK. The tag on the trailer says the dry weight is 7900lbs. The spec sheet says 8025 lbs. Tongue weight is 975. Tow rating for the vehicle is 10,500 lbs. We intend to pull as close to dry as possible with the exception of kitchen items and propane tanks. We should come in less than, or around, 9000 lbs. trailer weight. That also maxes us out on GCVW so it will be tight. We will also have an Equal I Zer hitch (10,000 lb) installed with sway bars. I'm considering upping that to 12,000 lb. but I've read that you want to get as close to the trailer weight as possible with the hitch and not get something that is overkill - I don't know if the 12,000 unit is overkill. Again, thanks for the input and I am going to really try to stay in front of this.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

I have side toppers on RVs since camping is near, in forest areas with pine neddles, cones, etc. on roof everytime we go. They keep that stuff out of the slide roof. They may help keep the trailer cooler in hot temps. I do not think they are a problem with winds you spoke of. Towing the trailer in those winds can be a problem. A proper hitch and tow vehicle help when driving in winds. I would check you payload listed for the truck. You will likey be carrying more weight on the truck than it's made for even if pulling near the max wt. Check the truck tires to made sure they will support the wt. of the vehicle and trailer. You need to get the real weights of everything and to do that go to a scale. My little trailer listed below has a 900 lb tongue wt.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #5
billb800si

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Thanks JRTJH.
I know that we will be at the limit of the ratings. Of course the dealer, sales folks etc. said it would be fine. I have a friend that pulls something similar and he said his worked OK. The tag on the trailer says the dry weight is 7900lbs. The spec sheet says 8025 lbs. Tongue weight is 975. Tow rating for the vehicle is 10,500 lbs. We intend to pull as close to dry as possible with the exception of kitchen items and propane tanks. We should come in less than, or around, 9000 lbs. trailer weight. That also maxes us out on GCVW so it will be tight. We will also have an Equal I Zer hitch (10,000 lb) installed with sway bars. I'm considering upping that to 12,000 lb. but I've read that you want to get as close to the trailer weight as possible with the hitch and not get something that is overkill - I don't know if the 12,000 unit is overkill. Again, thanks for the input and I am going to really try to stay in front of this.
====================

I'm pulling a 2014 Cougar HC 321RES with about the weights as you. You'll probably do fair if you're hauling over flat land. Mountains are really going to stress you out. My friend has a 1/2 ton Ford pulling a 35 foot laCrosse same weight as yours and he white knuckled it going through Virginia. Said he would never drive in mountains again. Don't forget the tongue weight specified does NOT include battery(s)- filled propane tanks etc... By the time you load up you'll be over.

FWIW I use a 1400# Equalizer hitch on my 3/4 ton Ram Diesel.
Seriously consider downsizing your RV or upgrading your truck.
Happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:43 AM   #6
allmi01

I own a 2013 319RLS and love it!! I have pulled it a bit last year. It tows well but then again I'm using a diesel Excursion with an Equalizeer hitch and 12K bars.

All this said, the Excusrion is a 3.4 tom platform. I hit a pach of ice on Jan 2 in Indiana coming home from PA and jack knifed the rig at 40 mph. A little damage to both truck and trailer. nothing serious.

If possible, I would advise, as others here have to go to a heavier tow platform. This trailer is 36+ ft long. A heavier tow platform woudl give you a better chance in any mishap and controlloing things some. I know the the outcome of my mishap with a lighter tow vehicle would not have been pretty.

All that said, the 319RLS is a great trailer. I have replaced only the sliding door keeper at the bottom (a plastic piece) with a customer cherry wood piece I built which I like a lot better. I also added wire shelving to the panty cabinets and under the island.

Outside of these, I need to make a mod to get a better steup for my satellite box in the entertainment center and add a backup camera.

Enjoy! I know the DW and I certainlly love ours.

Mike