Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
mark wyoming

New Member soon to be full timer.

TV-2012 ram 3500 crew cab 6.5 cummins. DW and I are still looking for a toy hauler that we intend to use as are retirement home. We are looking at the Fusion 342, and 371.
mark wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
Jim Dow

Montana High Country

Can't help with a Fuzon; but my wife and I really enjoy our Montana High Country.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark wyoming View Post
TV-2012 ram 3500 crew cab 6.5 cummins. DW and I are still looking for a toy hauler that we intend to use as are retirement home. We are looking at the Fusion 342, and 371.
to the forum and potentially to full time RVing. What are your thoughts about the Fusion 342 and 371 and what questions do you have? Someone here will most likely have the answers you're looking for, so ask away.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
BillnDeb

Welcome! What toys are you hauling?
We attended a great seminar at the Tampa RV show this weekend about Full timing/extended travel. We meet all the requirements to go full time! Now to sell the house and furniture!
We loved both Fusion TH, but decided to leave our toy at home.
Debbie
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost
2003 Ultra Classic Harley sold May 2014
blog: https://dalees107.wordpress.com
BillnDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
mark wyoming

HI. Nice to here from all of you

Hello every one sorry it took so long to get back to you I have been away from the computer. To answer a few questions the DW and I ride a Honda Gold Wing Trike. The trike Measures 10' 3" long and 61" wide so we are looking for a trailer with a 12' long garage. We are getting ready to retire next year and spend are time touring the Great USA. I have a Question: If the GVW on the 342 is 18000 pounds how can it have a pin weight of over 3000 as the way I under stand it the Pin weight is to be between 1o and 15 percent of the Gvw? How do these trailers stand up to living in them during the winter months in colder climates? I thank every one in advance for any info and comments on the Fusion line of trailers.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Mark,

Glad to have you back among the 'computer generation"

To answer your question about tongue weight/pin weight, a travel trailer has a tongue weight and it is usually maintained between 10-15% of total trailer weight. A fifth wheel, however, has a pin weight which is between 15-25% of total trailer weight. Recalculate your weights and you'll see that the 342 fifth wheel empty (shipping) weight is about 13000 lbs and the pin weight is about 3090 (23%). Toy haulers usually have fairly heavy tongue/pin weights when the garage is empty. That allows for the weight transfer when the garage is loaded and still maintain the tongue/pin weight within the percentage needed to maintain good handling.

The pin weight of the 342 at max GVW (18000 lbs) would calculate to be 2700 lbs (15% - low) and 4500 lbs (25% - high). Depending on the amount of load in the garage (behind the axles), the pin weight could change dramatically up or down. That's why you "plan for the heaviest" and weigh "as loaded for a trip" to be sure of where your weight really sits.

Nothing could spoil a "perfect setup" much worse than having a salesman talk you into using a 3/4 ton truck to tow the "dream RV' of your choice, only to load it for a trip and realize you need a one ton dually to handle the "real world" weights......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:40 PM   #7
mark wyoming

John thanks for the information that clears things up and makes perfect sense.