Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2012, 04:15 AM   #1
Herkbubba

Question 2008 Sprinter 311 BHS - cover options?

Hello -

Considering a cover for the RV... Have done a little research (Google, here, CampingWorld website) but unsure what the best option is.

We live in Eastern NC (humid in the summer - hot sun as well) so am looking for options on a cover that will protect the RV but not rot within a year or two.

Any recommendations? Thanks....

Herk
Herkbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
jsmith948

We purchased an ADCO 'Designer Series' cover from CW. We thought the cover did a good job of keeping the 5er clean. The Tyvex breathes and the cover has numerous vent flaps that help to prevent billowing.
However, after 9 mos of use here in super sunny central Cal, the LH rear corner of the cover is completely rotted from the sun.
We will see if their warranty is any good - we don't cover the RV anymore after having read the posts about heat related de-lamination - FWIW

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
cathcartww

We bought a cheap non-woven fabric cover the first time around because we were not sure it was going to be worth the trouble covering and uncovering all the time. It lasted about two seasons before the fabric just fell apart.

Since we loved how the cover kept the rig so nice and clean and shiny, we invested in a CalMark brand cover made of Sunbrella brand woven fabric. Sunbrella is a made-in-the-USA fabric engineered specifically for recreational tops and covers. Soft, light, breathable, waterproof, and UV resistant.

CalMark custom sews the cover to your exact measurements so you get a really good fit.

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
MISailor

Herk,

I highly recommend the PermaPro cover from Classic Accessories for a number of reasons, not the least of which is absolutely excellent warrantee support from the manufacturer. I bought the previous version of this cover (PolyPro III) from etrailer.com for my last trailer and used it year-round in Michigan when the trailer was not in use. I was dissapointed to find that the south-facing side of the PolyPro cover degraded 3 years into the 5 year warrantee, but an email to Classic Accessories with a few pictures attached resulted in a brand new PermaPro cover with no fuss at all.

The replacement cover (PermaPro) is now in use on my new TT and I like it even more than the original cover. It is made of light (color and weight) rip-stop nylon and is well vented. It also carries a 5 year warrantee. I doubt that CA will replace a replcement if it fails in the warrantee period, but if I get 3 years out of this cover I'll be ahead of the game and I'll gladly buy another knowing that CA will replace the new one if it fails in the first 5 years.
2023 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.0L V8, 3.73 Rear Axle (Photo to be updated)
MISailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
tomsws6

50x30 tarp..............
Old 12-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
EcoboostKev

X2 on the ADCO Designer series cover. The cover even comes with vents built in so it can breath and you don't have to worry about moisture building up underneath.
https://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...11_748-1-1.jpg
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
Scottinvt

X 3 on the Adco designer !!
Scottinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
tomsws6

What do they run for price?
Old 12-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsws6 View Post
What do they run for price?
They are sold at Camping World and the price vaires by size. Go to the CW website, look for the ADCO covers and you'll find instructions on how to measure your RV. With those measurements, go back to the website and look up the correct cover for your RV and you'll find the price right there. I urge you "don't wing it" actually put a tape measure on your RV. When the salesman measured ours during our purchase of the RV, he guessed and our first cover was 6' longer than needed. So after a trip back with the correct measurements, all fits well. Follow the instructions carefully and you'll be OK.

CW has a couple of options for covers so make sure you're on the ADCO page.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:06 AM   #10
Herkbubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoboostKev View Post
X2 on the ADCO Designer series cover. The cover even comes with vents built in so it can breath and you don't have to worry about moisture building up underneath.
Regrets in delay on my reply...

Thanks for the photo ... that helps a lot. Mind if I ask what that cover set you back? That is the one that has zippered entrances so you can access your RV without taking the cover off, right?

How long does it take to put on? Remove?

Does it come with a carrying bag when not in use?

Also - how old is yours and how long do you think it'll last before it rots out?

We are in Eastern NC and the summers are hot and humid here. Just looking for a reasonably priced option that will last more than a few years. Preferably would like it to last 10 years if that's not too far-fetched.

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

If you go to the CW website, you can see the types of RV covers they have for sale - including the brand shown in the photo. They also have the prices listed for the various lengths and types. If you have measured your RV as suggested above, the price of the cover will be included in the advertisement.

Nearly all covers have zippered entrances and are packed in a box. I have an ADCO but it didn't come with a separate bag. Like all things packaged in a box, they don't always fit back into the container without a struggle. Eventually, they will fit in if you roll the cover back up tightly and talk nicely to it.

Putting the cover on takes at least 2 people - another 1 or 2 makes it that much easier.
There is some prep work to be done before the cover goes on. All the sharp corners and protrusions need to be covered with foam or some type of backing so they don't puncture or tear the cover. That takes some time to do the job properly.

Once that is completed, the cover can be put on in about 15-20 min and then some time to tie it down. The whole process takes about 45 min or so I would guess.

Depending on the wind conditions, how well it fits, how well it has been prepared and tied down, weather conditions, UV exposure, etc., the time it will last will vary. There are too many variables to put an accurate time frame on its longevity.

I wouldn't expect to get 10 years out of a RV cover unless it was custom-made to fit and made of Sunbrella material. Hard to say how long it will last .... I am thinking 5 years would be a reasonable expectation.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
Herkbubba

Festus - thanks much...!

Tags
311, 311 bhs, rv cover