Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
CUFFS054

Permanent manifold (or the end of the stinky slinky)

My TT sits on a site that offers a manifold system to hook up all three tanks semi permanently to ease dumping. When I bought the TT previous owner told me not to leave any of the tanks open all the time. But in another post I read where someone (with similar system) was leaving grey tanks open all the time and using a hose/flush system to clean the black tank when he dumped it.
Would it be alright to leave the galley grey tank open all the time? The dishwasher fills it quickly where as the other tanks take time.
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
dakingsella

I just checked the Keystone Owners Manual to be sure I am correct. Keystone recommends: "Once the black water tank reaches the desired capacity, the contents can be dumped from the termination valve into an approved dump station." I have also read that 2/3 full is the optimal time to dump the Black Water. No such recommendation is stated for your Gray Water tanks in the Keystone Owners Manual. I always leave my Gray Water (gray and galley) tanks open when connected to a sewer hookup. I always flush my black tank when I dump it. I've heard horror stories about having to clean out buildup in the black tank.

Happy Camping!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
SteveC7010

What you can do is leave the gray open most of the time. When you know the black is getting close to ready for dumping, close up the gray and let some liquid accumulate for a day or two. Even full or mostly full is good.

This gives you some extra fluid to move more of the black water out of your trailer's drain lines and through the campground's system as well.

The only caution would be to keep an eye on the gray level if you close up the one the showers drain to as that can fill up in a real hurry when taking normal showers.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
Javi

I don't have a dishwasher but when hooked up I usually leave the valves closed and run outside to pull the handle when the tank/tanks are close to full.. or if I know the DW is about to take a shower...

She never has gotten the Navy shower thing down....
Old 10-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

I leave my graywater valves open but I form a trap in my sewer line to keep gases from coming back into the empty tanks. I close them while dumping the black tank so no solid waste backs into them also. If this manifold system contains has a trap I see no reason not to leave the gray tanks open with the exception of a major sewer backup in the campground. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
CUFFS054

Thanks for the help everybody! I love this place
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote