Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2012, 05:36 AM   #1
tileman

Truck Bed rail help

Just got back a few days ago from a 21 day trip from FLA to NY and PA.

The only thing we had go bad was in a few places we had the 5th wheel rub the bed of the truck I have 6" of space from the bed rail to the trailer.

I can move the pinbox down and get 2" or 3" more but it will make the trailer not level. I was told that I could move the pinbox down and raise the 5th wheel hitch and that will make it level once again.

What is to much room from the bed rails and the trailer ? 10" or 16"

Thanks Ron.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
mhs4771

I don't think there is such a thing as to much space, provided the 5er rides level. I only have approx 6" on ours after we upgraded to a 2011 Chevy. Put a lot of miles and CGs on it and didn't have a problem, but I do know if the ground is unevan you have to watch closely. In some cases you can "Flip the Axles" to gain some additional height, but it will also raise your center of gravity on your TH.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

I have close to 7" and never had a problem. Having 10" should be plenty providing the 2 unit sit level. 16"? ---- lots of room!!!
Old 09-08-2012, 05:17 AM   #4
tileman

Thanks for the info guys.

When the trailer was hitting the bed was when we where at the moto cross tracks. The ground was real uneven. And that is where we spend most of our time at.

Maybe in a few weeks Ill lower the pin box and raise the 5th wheel hitch.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
Outbackmel

Hitch height

When I moved to a 5er about 15 months ago, I had it too low in the truck bed. Backed into my first paved camping spot, over steered, went off the pavement and screwed up the lip of my tail gate. Won't be doing that again.
I moved my hitch up one notch. Towed cross country and back, many rv sites, no problem. Was at a very reputable rv center and had the
height checked. Safety net against too much forward weight. Also proper sitting rv is a lot easier on tires and wear. Bottom line, 2 fists of the average size man is good. That's about 8 to 10 inches. Certainly a few inches higher is not going to matter. Avoid screwing with your pin box if possible. Many people on the forum have high mechanical skills. If you are like me, don't go there.

Safe travels
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
Mac-2

Keep in mind that if the front is too high you are putting more weight on the rear tires/axil which leads to more wear/heat and failure. Also know from experience that a Mor/Ryde doesn't work at an angle. Right now I am fighting with Keystone about my pinbox. The long pinbox is too long for my Chevy bed and hits the bed rails. I want to replace with medium pinbox instead of raising the front of the trailer which is already 3 inched higher than the rear.
Mac-2 is offline   Reply With Quote