Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
Mountainmax

Re: thermal package questions

First question here from a newbie. My bullet has the "thermal package" and where I have my camper parked, for use on the weekends, it's getting cold at night, almost down to freezing. I want to visit the camper for at least another month and I wondered what to do. I have searched and read some info on this package but wondered while the camper is parked unattended during the week do I have to drain all the water and pump in antifreeze or can I just leave it empty? Also how cold can I use it? I have seen different temperature listings but even my dealer couldn't answer me. How should I do this? Thanks in advance
Old 09-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

The "Arctic", "Polar", "Thermal" label that Keystone applies to many of its RV's is an advertising gimmick that gives the impression that your unit will be able to withstand freezing temperatures. There have been numerous threads and discussions on here about this topic which you may want to research using our forum search feature.
Briefly,........
1) You cannot leave your unit for long periods of time in freezing temperatures unless you have taken some preventative measures to avoid having your lines freeze up on you.
2) The "heated" underbelly only provides heat when your furnace is operating. The amount of "warmth" it provides is, at best, minimal.
3) The large, uninsulated air space in the underbelly has many openings which will allow cold air into this area.
3) If you cannot supply supplemental heat to the areas where your plumbing/water lines go through, then you should drain the lines if the unit will be left unattended or not used.
4) How cold can I use it? Depends on the temperatures you are talking about. If the temps drop to slightly below freezing, you can use it as long as your furnace will supply enough heat to keep you comfortable or you are plugged in and can use space heaters or something similar.
5) If you drain your lines, you can always take bottled or plastic water containers with you. If you drain your lines and your HW tank, don't try to heat the empty tank with propane or electricity!
6) Eventually, you will have to completely winterize your TT and fill the lines with RV antifreeze. Google "Winterizing an RV" and you will find plenty of info about that online.
7) You can still use a partially or completely winterized RV except that you will not be able to use any water.

Again, don't be mislead by these labels from Keystone. I would bet that no one from there has ever slept in freezing temps in one of their Polar/Arctic?Thermal packaged units!

Hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Mountainmax

Thanks but I need water to shower and use the toilet so I guess I'm outta luck
Old 09-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainmax View Post
Thanks but I need water to shower and use the toilet so I guess I'm outta luck
I have a buddy that full times in a 5’er while working heavy equipment in Colorado, Montana, and Wyoming… He put a skirt around his and installed heat strips to the plumbing… seems to work for him as long as the electric holds out..
Old 09-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

If Mountainmax is going to be staying in his RV for a time and provided he takes preventative measures to avoid freeze-ups, then skirting and using heat strips or something similar would be ok.
Check out some of geo's posts --- he submitted a thorough description of steps and mods he took in order to make his RV liveable in freezing temperatures. These were mods done to the 5th wheel and did not involve any skirting or other outside mods.