Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Halibutman214

The tires didn't quite make the Alaska journey

After just completing a 6774 mile round trip journey to Alaska I have several things I think anyone making the trip would find helpful. I think this first post is crucial and that is the concern of tires. Let me try to sum this up in one sentence. If you leave with tires that have a load range that is rated anything less than at least 1/3 more than the loaded weight of your rig your asking for trouble. I have long been an advocate of Tow Max tires and don’t think they are any better or worse than others but I do think manufacturers put tires on that are barely legal for the weight they will carry and nothing is taken into consideration for the tremendous down forces created when you go over a whoop in the road or hit a pothole. For those that have traveled the ALCAN you know what I’m taking about. Over time this sudden weight simply breaks any tire down that was not designed for that extra weight. Keeping in mind my trailer is almost new one of my Tow Max tires made it 3602 miles and another one an additional 327 miles. The ONLY thing that kept me from having a blowout was my TPMS and let me tell you the first tire that went had complete belt failure in several places. I’ve never seen a tire that looked so bad and was still holding air. The second one only separated in one place but I caught it before it went any further. In my 3 hour wait in Watson Lake YK they invited me to take a look at the scrap pile and let me tell you, it was ugly! There were all brands and all sizes that looked pretty much like mine. They said most were attributable to speed which I readily saw but I can assure you at no time did I speed and in fact most of the time drove well under the speed limit but the whoops and bumps sneak up on you. You too will find yourself in this same situation if you choose to ignore the fact you more than likely do NOT have heavy enough tires. If anyone is interested the tire in Watson Lake cost $176 and the one in Fort Nelson $134.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
DocData757

Which size TowMax tires do you have?
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocData757 View Post
Which size TowMax tires do you have?
They're 205 75R 14.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
Johnnyfry

Tires

Well, funny you should ask. I am presently in Idaho after doing the Alaska highway on my OEM Towmax 235 80R16 load range E tires. I have gone a total of 28,000 miles. I had to replace two tires in Whitehorse due to a bent axle. I had the spare on a third wheel and one of the originals on the last position. Today that tire gave up the ghost after 28k miles after dealing with the Alaska highway and return.

I was going about 55mph when the TPM signaled pressure loss. Kathy said " I think we have a flat" as I was applying the brakes. The tire lost the tread but I didn't sustain any substantial damage.

New tire tomorrow, but I have absolutely no complaints regarding the performance of the Towmax tires.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
New tire tomorrow, but I have absolutely no complaints regarding the performance of the Towmax tires.

John
I don't know as I do either. As I said in the OP I think I had too little tire for the weight and most any tire with the same load range would have broken down. This could however change as I can't seem to get hold of anyone from Towmax despite leaving messages and sending e-mails. I haven't a clue how to file a claim and the dealer where I bought the TT said they don't know.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:05 AM   #6
Quiroule

I would like to install TPMS, is-there a model that would not require to remove the tire for installation?

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:14 AM   #7
f6bits

I believe that there are several that just screw onto the valve. Here’s one:
http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-TS1694...=pd_sbs_auto_1

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:31 AM   #8
Quiroule

Thanks f6bits

I don’t want a model sticking outside of the rim, sooner or later it will catch on something and rip off.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:54 AM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

HI Check out TST on the web they have a a nice kit that can read up to 22 tires the set i bought has 4 flow throuh sensors. you do not need to unscrew them to fill the tires. they are on my dual rear wheels the stems face each other and will not catch anything. the other 6 are the type that screw on like a valve cap. they can mount with a tool and they just spin so they can't be stolen or you can remove the anti theft feature and they are much smaller so you should not have an issue with ripping them off. when i get to the campground i unscrew them and puit them away till i am ready to move on. and when there is no airpressure they shut off so the battery lasts. system works very well and i am happy with it
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiroule View Post
I would like to install TPMS, is-there a model that would not require to remove the tire for installation?
I have the Tire Minder that will monitor up to I believe 18 tires. It does screw on the valve stem but I can't imagine it catching on anything. It made it through my Alaska trip just fine. My only complaint is once in awhile you have to take a cap off and move the battery around as it loses contact. A HUGE plus for the Tire Minder though is SUPER customer service and an affordable price.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibutman214 View Post
They're 205 75R 14.
Looking at the specs on your unit I calculate a load of 6730 lbs. on the axles at max. gross and the capacity of four 205/75R-14 tires at 7040 lbs., giving you a whopping 310 lbs. of headroom... marginal to say the least. I would definitely look into going to 15" tires.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #12
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Looking at the specs on your unit I calculate a load of 6730 lbs. on the axles at max. gross and the capacity of four 205/75R-14 tires at 7040 lbs., giving you a whopping 310 lbs. of headroom... marginal to say the least. I would definitely look into going to 15" tires.
That's about right. The day I left I weighed in on the truck scale at 5600. With the long haul ahead of me I emptied all of my tanks and everything we brought with any weight value was loaded in my truck. Not bad considering the DW brought just about everything in our house. I did have a little more than 310lbs of headroom but NOT enough.
As I side note I did get an e-mail back from Towmax informing me of the 16 pieces of info they need just to determine where I need to take the tires to have them inspected.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
Halibutman214

Settlement on my tires

Wanted to give you all an update. I jumped through the necessary hoops for my tire warranty, which wasn't too bad as I had the Original Bill of Sale for the TT. While I haven't received it yet they are giving me $110 for the two tires which means I'm only out $200. The tires had 7/32 tread remaining. A new tire has 10/32 so I paid $200 for 3/32 of tread wear and still have 4 tires with the same load range. Sure wish I would have went to 15", load range D before I left.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #14
bennydog

I found the TireTraker at http://www.technorv.com for $219.00 that's $100 less than anyplace else I could find it. Free 3 day shipping and no tax. Should be here by the weekend.

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #15
smiller

That's a good price. Interestingly, it looks like the price is now $219 on the TireTraker website as well.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #16
Johnnyfry

Tpms

I have a Hawkshead which will monitor up to 22 tires. The transmitters screw onto the valve stems ( they recommend metal stems) and the receiver plugs into the lighter socket (it has an internal rechargeable battery ).

It works OK but one of the transmitters is intermittent and I did not get much in the way of help from their tech support.

The pressure sensors are of dubious accuracy ( I filled all tires to 80 PSI checking with 2 tire gauges of the stick type) and the readouts varried from 79.5 to 87 PSI.

The temperature readings seem to be pretty accurate but, on the other hand, how accurate is a temp reading on the valve stem vs inside the tire?

I like the fact that the sensor batteries are replaceable from a store like Radio Shack and they last at least a year.

All in all, I would probably buy it again. It cost about $250 with 4 sensors and extra sensors running $40 each.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #17
bennydog

TireTraker arrived via US mail this afternoon and it installed in about 15 minutes.
I'm impressed with the company I purchased it from as well as the product. I do need to wait until morning to adjust the pressure in the tires, they are all over the map at the moment.

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote